Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: System one
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreViewer

Other Comments: quattro fx full face

Sex: Male

windows xp users
windows xp users

as you know windows xp is nearing the end of it's life cycle, but thousands if not millions of computers still run it. i learned the following the hard way and am telling you this so your life will be easier if you have to reload windows xp.

i had a problem with one of my xp computers and had to completely reload windows. i loaded my disk and then went to the windows update site to get all the updates including the service packs. surprise. you can't access windows update to get the updates. with windows minus the service packs, you cannot get there from here.

it took me a while to figure out what to do. i went to the update site with an up to date, actually windows 7, computer and downloaded all the xp service packs. when you download the service packs you can save rather than run them. i saved them, put them on a disk and moved them to the reloaded machine where i then installed them.

because computers are picky and we never know when we're going to lose the operating system, i suggest you go to the microsoft download site and download the service packs for future use while you can access it....justin case. LOL...

i know some people use other operating systems and may suggest switching. that is fine. this is for people that intend to keep using windows xp or xp pro.
09-05-2012 01:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: windows xp users
I have an older laptop that runs XP. Or, rather, I had it. I loaned it to a friend and haven't seen it since. If I ever get it back (which I doubt), I'll see what SP it has and all that. But even if I do get it back, I doubt it's life span is worth the effort.

I have several older desktops, though, that I hope to put into one unit and have a computer for ham radio stuff. I'm betting by the time I get to it though, everything on them will be too outdated.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-05-2012 03:30 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Thanks Bill... good info and timely reminder.

Is there a direct link you can post that leads to all the XP or XP Pro Service Pack downloads?

EDIT: nevermind... I think I found the link here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

09-05-2012 03:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Thank you, Bill!! Since I used the money I had set aside for a new computer to help purchase the trikes, I need to keep my old XP machine around for a while yet.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-06-2012 07:15 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 217 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 767 08-25-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 434 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,096 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 378 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Windows 10 AlanE 103 10,015 11-17-2015 12:12 PM
  what's wrong with this fragment of windows batch code? justMongo 18 1,798 09-16-2015 10:46 AM