Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

worried
worried
I'm worried my apnea is too severe to be treated by a machine. At the study my AHI was a 127! They gave me a phillips machine and maxed out the pressure at 25. It seems like the masks I have tried will not support such high pressure and i have huge leaks in the 85% range... my resp theropist seems to be getting annoyed with me asking for a different mask and/or finding me one that fits. I do have a large beard but he does not seem overly concerned by that. Whats the next step? I'm miserable
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: worried
We really need more specific info on your machine, lets for now assume that it is data capable. Get the sleepyhead software so you can see what is going on and not have to guess. It's free and if you used the CPAP last night you have data there waiting for you to look at. Oh and you need a card reader also, I got mine for $8.

Get the data graphed and post it here, there are plenty of people that have been doing this for more than 10 years to help you. These systems take weeks to tune up, you will not die in the mean time, but lets get started and move you to better sleep.

Do you have your sleep study, what kind of apnea's did you have?

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm pretty sure my machine is data capable. it has an sd card and modem that links to the Dr. I have severe obstructive apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
With very high pressures, you should have been prescribed a bilevel machine for greater comfort. Nasal pillows are surprisingly good at delivering higher pressures without leaks, and are unaffected by beards. You need to avoid mouth breathing which would allow leaks. For people with very stubborn obstructive apnea, there may be additional devices that can help keep the airway open, and sleep position may affect you as well. We could use more information about your machine and apnea issues.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will get all the info tonight and post tomorrow as my home computer is down. My equip/therapy guy seems to think the pressure is too high for nose aparatis.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2015, 04:33 PM)Walking Dead Wrote: My equip/therapy guy seems to think the pressure is too high for nose aparatis.

That's the standard party line. Wink But many people who successfully use nasal pillows at high pressures know better.

And don't worry about that 127 AHI -- we see lots of folks with triple digit AHI's who do very well on PAP machines. I'm guessing that you're already on a bilevel machine if you're seeing pressure at 25 since most CPAP and APAP machines don't go higher than 20. Which would also mean that you have a fully data capable machine.

BTW you don't need to buy a card reader if your computer has a built-in SD card slot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes it is a BiPAP and thank you kaiasgram
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2015, 03:49 PM)Walking Dead Wrote: I'm worried my apnea is too severe to be treated by a machine. At the study my AHI was a 127! They gave me a phillips machine and maxed out the pressure at 25. It seems like the masks I have tried will not support such high pressure and i have huge leaks in the 85% range... my resp theropist seems to be getting annoyed with me asking for a different mask and/or finding me one that fits. I do have a large beard but he does not seem overly concerned by that. Whats the next step? I'm miserable

When I started using cpap 15 years ago my setting was 19, now its 10. Once you use yours for about a month you may find things improve as far as comfort and fit. What seems like big leaks may still be fine. Even 80% efficiency can bring life changes through increased energy and weight loss. Hang in there in time youll work it out.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Jingo.
well i just went and got a life fit full cover face mask. fingers crossed
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Walking Dead,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and I wish you much success to you with your CPAP therapy, don't give up, sometimes it takes a bit 'till you get used to it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 44 1,081 28 minutes ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is this Cheyne-Stokes? Should I be worried? spaceodyssey 8 648 10-26-2023, 07:46 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Worried about CA events rizzmed 3 675 06-28-2023, 09:16 AM
Last Post: rizzmed
  Worried about RERAs sheldor 7 777 03-08-2023, 03:51 PM
Last Post: sheldor
  Cheyne Stokes scare....should I be worried Snowy2020 3 741 01-09-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Sad Yesterday got CSR (Cheyne Strokes)on my report. Should I be worried? TonytheTiger 2 633 09-09-2022, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Equipment] Should I be worried? Lukja 3 623 08-13-2022, 09:14 PM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.