Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

worried about new pressure
worried about new pressure
Hello all: my medical supply store just called and said that they had new orders for my pressure to be set at a new level. Originally my pressure was 8 now it's being set on 15!!! Should I be worried??? Also have new full face mask and I love it! Sleep study a couple weeks ago and have appointment next Tuesday with the pulmonary doctor. Should I be worried???? Help!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: worried about new pressure
(06-18-2014, 03:52 PM)LeeC Wrote: Hello all: my medical supply store just called and said that they had new orders for my pressure to be set at a new level. Originally my pressure was 8 now it's being set on 15!!! Should I be worried??? Also have new full face mask and I love it! Sleep study a couple weeks ago and have appointment next Tuesday with the pulmonary doctor. Should I be worried???? Help!!!!

Good evening LeeC, Oh yes, not worried, but concerned. If it was me, I'd see the pulmonary doctor first and discuss this pressure increase with him. The increase is a big one and although you may adjust to it quickly, there is a chance you may not. Information is important, so be sure that you know everything that you can before allowing them to raise the pressure. Question: Who wants the pressure set higher and why?
Do not take anything for granted with the medical supply store. a pressure of 15 could be high enough to create lots of mask leaks.
Just saying...
I-love-CPAP Rycharde
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a second sleep study May 30 th and the doctor prescribed a new pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2014, 04:10 PM)LeeC Wrote: I had a second sleep study May 30 th and the doctor prescribed a new pressure.

Still, that is almost double your present pressure. Ask your sleep Doc, or pulmonologist why the increase. IMO, I'd want to know why the increase, and would never accept it just because my supply store said it needed to be done. But then I'm one who has to know beyond any doubt why a change needs to be made. You are entitled to know what the sleep test showed and the data and reasoning behind the increase.
Consider a second opinion, but you need to know what the first opinion was before you can ask for the second.

I-love-CPAP Rycharde
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2014, 04:10 PM)LeeC Wrote: I had a second sleep study May 30 th and the doctor prescribed a new pressure.

So you were at 8, your profile says 10, and the new sleep study titrated you at 15. You can look at the sleep study results to verify.

Do you know what your AHI is now? Which Philips Respironics machine do you have?

If you anticipate problems with the higher pressure you can ask for a auto-CPAP machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2014, 06:46 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Which Philips Respironics machine do you have?
Remove the water tank before turning the machine upside down

[Image: PR-model.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2014, 06:19 PM)Rycharde Wrote:

Still, that is almost double your present pressure. Ask your sleep Doc, or pulmonologist why the increase. IMO, I'd want to know why the increase, and would never accept it just because my supply store said it needed to be done. But then I'm one who has to know beyond any doubt why a change needs to be made. You are entitled to know what the sleep test showed and the data and reasoning behind the increase.
Consider a second opinion, but you need to know what the first opinion was before you can ask for the second.

I agree that I would want to know why but I would not be concerned. After all, I do not know what pressure you started with at the beginning of your therapy but I went from 0 to 20 cm/H2O in one day. I suppose it would have been a big deal if I had trouble tolerating the pressure but that is when one drops back and tries to sneak up on it.

Yes there absolutely should be communication from the person who analyzed the sleep study and one should receive a copy of the report.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everybody everybody!! My pressure was originally on 8 but the pulmonary doctor set it up to 10 and scheduled another sleep study. The medical supply got a prescription from that doctor to up the pressure to 15.

My machine is a 560p.
My AHI is around 15 still now on pressure of 10
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2014, 08:19 PM)LeeC Wrote: My machine is a 560p.
My AHI is around 15 still now on pressure of 10

The 560P is a auto CPAP. You can set it for a range of pressures, that way it starts at the low end of the range and raises it up only when needed.

For example, you could set it at a range of 8-15. That way it would start at 8 and only go up when it determines that you need it. If necessary it could go as high as 15.

Hopefully that will get your AHI down below 5.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Reading all these replies would scare me. I notice that all the people that replied have relatively low pressures except Payton.

Here's my take. Don't be scared of the pressure at all. My DW and I are both at 16cmH2O and have no problem with it.

As for wanting to know why, I certainly would want to know. Call the doc's office and ask them why the change.

The DME didn't just make this up. The only way they can make a change is with a doctor's orders.

Now having said all that, since you have a full efficacy data machine you can download software and look at your data yourself. That will tell you how you've been doing at the current pressure. Also since you have an auto-titrating machine you can set it as Sleepster suggested and watch the data to see how it's doing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,061 6 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,629 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Is this Cheyne-Stokes? Should I be worried? spaceodyssey 8 648 10-26-2023, 07:46 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Worried about CA events rizzmed 3 675 06-28-2023, 09:16 AM
Last Post: rizzmed
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  Worried about RERAs sheldor 7 777 03-08-2023, 03:51 PM
Last Post: sheldor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.