Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

worst night since starting therapy
worst night since starting therapy
Tonight for some reason I can't breathe out well enuff to feel comfortable. ..can't fall asleep...I have tried everything from changing exhalation setting from 3 to off....makes no difference. ..I have used it set at 2 or 3 since starting on the cpap with great results....I tried changing the temp on the climate line...tried increasing the humitiy from 3 to 4....has always worked great at 3 for 5 weeks of using the cpap.....could it be the pillow...have the p10....and using same one for 5 weeks....how often do people use them typically....help...tonight is the first night I can't use my cpap.
It's exactly like that. . . . only totally different. . . . Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: worst night since starting therapy
Hi sleepybeaver,
I'm sorry you had such a rough night, sometimes, no matter what you do you just can't get things to work out, better luck tonight.
As far as how long people use their pillows, some can use them for a long time and others, not so much.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and again, better luck tonight.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I change out my pillow once a month, even though insurance will send me 2 replacements every month. They do tend to get soft.

When was the last time you washed your P10 mask? The vented area needs to be cleaned now and then. I use a soft toothbrush to gently clean the exhaust vent at least once a week.
Coffee
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2015, 02:27 AM)sleepybeaver Wrote: Tonight for some reason I can't breathe out well enuff to feel comfortable. ..can't fall asleep...I have tried everything from changing exhalation setting from 3 to off....makes no difference. ..I have used it set at 2 or 3 since starting on the cpap with great results....I tried changing the temp on the climate line...tried increasing the humitiy from 3 to 4....has always worked great at 3 for 5 weeks of using the cpap.....could it be the pillow...have the p10....and using same one for 5 weeks....how often do people use them typically....help...tonight is the first night I can't use my cpap.

Perhaps you did not write what you meant because setting EPR from 3 to a 0 would make it harder to exhale. So, with my limited knowledge of that area I would recommend EPR setting of '3' or more, if applicable to your machine. I had set Reslex to '3' on my machine when I had a bad URI and it make exhaling easier.

Post Reply Post Reply
As ted said, EPR increase usually helps exhale become easier. Lowering or turning EPR off -may- make exhale more difficult, but also sometimes makes sleeping less disruptive. Sorry you are have such a hard time with this.

I would look to humidity and to bedroom temperature to help with this. Sometimes humidity and heat can increase the airway resistance. Your nasal passages may have been assaulted by pollens and have moist moving snot, which can sometimes move to clog the nasal upper airway upon change of direction, either on exhale or inhale.

Good luck.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for your input......I'm going to try to match the room temp to the climate line...and set the humitiy to 3.....wish me luck tonight.
It's exactly like that. . . . only totally different. . . . Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep in mind setting an EPR of 3 may also make things worse. It did in my case. Once you set it, give it at least a week preferably 2 to adjust to the changes and re-evaluate. Unless it just made things terrible. If so, return to what you had it set to before and again re-evaluate.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
AlanE - are you saying that EPR 3 has actually led you to feel that exhale is harder to accomplish?

Thanks,

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2015, 02:27 AM)sleepy beaver Wrote: Tonight for some reason I can't breathe out well enuff to feel comfortable. ..can't fall asleep...I have tried everything from changing exhalation setting from 3 to off....makes no difference.

Hi sleepy beaver,

Strange but true: sometimes increasing the Min Pressure setting can make it easier to breathe.

As I write this, your profile says your minimum pressure is only 5. After a few weeks of therapy many people (most, l think) find a Minimum Pressure setting of 5 is uncomfortably low.

The machine will always use least 4 cmH2O pressure during exhalation, even if EPR is enabled.

When operating at a pressure of 5, EPR settings of 1 or 2 or 3 will all be identical: the inhale pressure IPAP will be 5 and the exhale pressure EPAP will be 4 (the minimum).

For greatest amount of exhalation pressure relief when your machine is at its Min Pressure setting, raise the Min Pressure to 7 or higher and set EPR to 3, the max. (Meaning, for greatest difference between IPAP and EPAP when your machine is at its Minimum setting, raise the Min Pressure to 7 or higher and set EPR to 3, the max.)

If you try changing to a Min Pressure of 6 with EPR of 2, or Min Pressure of 7 with EPR of 3, I think you will find it easier to inhale and exhale.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I concur. I did notice that the Respironics System ONE APAP does not engage in pressure relief until it reaches an inhale pressure of 6. This device also has a set 2 cmH2O pressure relief, and then an additional flex that allows a short term enhanced pressure relief at the beginning of the exhale only.

[Image: c-flexplus_pressure_profile.gif]

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,073 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 171 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,361 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 26 816 03-22-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: jakespeare65

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.