Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

would like to do a open source mask
RE: would like to do a open source mask
lots has changed in 50 years and you would be very surprise just how easy it is now days

go to youtube and search "casting plastic parts" and you will see it is not all that bad, I would say most any hose head could do it, if they really wanted to.

gone are the days where your forced to make steel molds and inject for a small run.

(04-06-2014, 10:20 PM)bwexler Wrote: I like your basic premis, but question how many hose heads would be remotely cabable of casting there own custom mask.
It has been nearly 50 years since I built molds or ran plastic injection machines, so I am way out of date but I don't see it as a simple home brew process.

What I do like about your idea, and perhaps expanding on it a bit:
Do a 3D laser scan of someones face.
select a mask style
use a 3D printer to create the custom fit mask for that person.

The men in black would certainly be watching. The use of the 3D laser scanner could cause loss of sight if improperly used.
Although the equipment needed is readily available, it is not commonly in household use yet. I suspect it will be several years beforeit is common.
I have seen some very intricate items come off of a 3D printer so I know it will be practical some day.

Another big obstacle is the patents held by the big boys. Unless you came up with some very unique designs they would have their lawyers all over you.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 980 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  String of open airway events vinegarben 34 3,860 02-16-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 324 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  In Need of Help Analyzing Source of Leaks in Oscar rosebladepat 1 381 10-01-2023, 01:48 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Can you open your mouth with CPAP and have no mouth leak? THEVGE 4 702 09-11-2023, 06:06 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  Source for anataomy illustration of how we breathe nose only for CPAP? Stom 0 294 09-08-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Stom
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,484 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.