Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

wrong machine or wrong settings?
wrong machine or wrong settings?
This is driving met nuts..

I've been using this machine for a while now and I keep on getting worse..  I doest seem like Obstructive and most of the events are clear airway and hypo events..

the worst SPO2 drops are because of hypopneas..

without the machine te SPO2 events drops to pretty darn low, like 80% or lower...

I'm starting to think the doc prescribed the wrong machine and I need to be on BiPap or ASV ? I currently have a Philips Dreamstation Auto

Here is a screenshot of a "good" night.. and seems my bad nights used to be 6.5 AHI, but they are getting worse..

Any thoughts or suggested tweaks??

[Image: iAWqcYd.png]
[Image: whZRc]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: wrong machine or wrong settings?
Just a suggestion. You could try doing without the Flex setting. Turn it to off.
That may help reduce the CA’s, although they are not too bad.

And at the same time, move your minimum pressure to 8cm, that may Clear up some of the hypopneas.

A Respironics machine is slower to react, so putting it at 8cm which is closer to your 95% pressure may help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I love my Dreamstation..

It is set on a fixed pressure of 8 after I adjusted it upwards myself due to feeling short of air sometimes when I first went to bed at night.

It can take a bit to get any machine tweaked to specific personal needs.. hang in there and you will figure it all out in the end.
Post Reply Post Reply
+1 for min 8, it should clear up some H, we may finish up on 9?
max can be brought down later.
flex as comfortable, as was said the CA aren't too bad and should settle within 12 weeks of cpap.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hypopneas are my main issue too. I steadily adjusted my minimum pressure upward in increments to 9, I think...maybe 81/2. My maximum tends to be 10.5--so, not that much difference. Before I adjusted my minimum up my AHI tended to be 2.5 or so over a thirty days average. Now, my AHI is 0.5 average for 30 days very consistently. I was told that a higher minimum pressure is a good approach to hypopneas, and it's certainly worked for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
bumped it up to 8..  my AHI doubled..

I'll give it a few nights..  

[Image: NpfFEVV.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
If you turn the Flex setting off, you may see the CA’s lessen. This doesn’t work for everyone, but you won’t know if you don’t try.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The philips is a bit slow for H, I would now set the min to 9.
Although I know it would be concerning. The odds are that the CA are pressure induced and will resolve within 12 weeks. As has been said, seeing they have jumped, you can try tuning the flex down or off till they settle.

A lot of times, the new user ca is just the body balancing the 02 and co2 levels. cpap doesn't treat Clear Airways, what the machine records. The cpap Clear airway, just means that you stopped breathing with your throat unobstructed. Like a long sigh
It isn't necessarily a central nervous system disorder apnea, called a central apnea. If it is bad and persistent, another machine is used. I don't see your CA as a big problem, even though it raised your AHI. I think that it is a side effect that will settle.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 96 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Central apnea, graphs' meaning and ASV machine settings GT26 4 248 02-09-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: GT26
  Apnea Worse - What am I doing wrong? John Reston 8 543 01-08-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: John Reston
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,464 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
Wink Help my mom fix brainfog!!! - wrong machine settings? jra110 1 324 12-07-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 832 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  SD card unreadable Mac - what am I doing wrong? KLib 6 472 11-17-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: KLib

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.