Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

xPAP in Summer - air conditioned bedroom more important?
RE: xPAP in Summer - air conditioned bedroom more important?
(04-22-2016, 06:02 PM)sdb7802 Wrote: You might try the medical necessity route with your doctor to get an effective portable ac for your bedroom.

That is the correct way to say my suggestion above Smile

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Both those systems look appealing, sptrout. I think I'd still need more a/c along with it, though, because with the a/c unit I have in the living room, it's usually 2-3 am before my bedroom temp gets down to even 75 degrees.

I used to live in your climate zone, sptrout. The nighttime temps and humidity there are like a jungle. Smile

It pretty much always gets below 70 degrees at night here in SA (Southern Appalachia), even in July and August. The problem is that is doesn't happen until the small hours of the morning and I'd prefer to be asleep long before then.

(04-22-2016, 02:38 PM)sptrout Wrote: One of the top recommendations for a good sleeping temperature is around 65 degrees, XPAP or not. In most parts of the world this low of temperature would be cost prohibitive, if not impossible to even obtain, in the summer months.

There is an alternative to lowering the temperature of the room and that is to lower the temperature of the bed. Two products on the market today are the ChiliCube and the NuYu Sleep System. Either can be found by doing a search on the Internet. The ChiliCube allows the user to set the bed temperature anywhere between around 50 degrees upto well over 100 degrees. The NuYu Sleep System also controls the bed temperature, but uses a specific temperature control program over the night (warm at first, then cooling down soon, then warming backup towards wakeup time). We have both systems and prefer the ChiliCube. Another advantage of either of these systems vs. more AC is their operating costs will be far less.

As for insurance, no way for temperature control IMO. However, if you can deduct medical expenses (many cannot due to ObamaCare changing the percentage of AGI from 7.5% to 10% for medical deductions) there is this possibility. Have your doctor write a prescription for either a new air conditioner, or one the products I mentioned above. Presciptions for OTC products and other medical necessities are then tax deductible.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think I must be in the minority here. We run a ducted evaporative system on the hottest days in summer (>36 degrees) but usually turn it off in the evening. We always run a ceiling fan in the bedroom, and I find that combined with open doors & windows for cross ventilation keeps things quite comfortable. I use an FFM and although it occasionally feels a little uncomfortable it's never enough to stop me getting a good sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in good old tropical Queensland and humidity is an issue for all. I do have aircon but it's in the lounge. If I turn it on it will seep through to the bedroom eventually but the best way to combat it is a really good fan. Regardless, quality of sleep is affected.
Post Reply Post Reply
What we need is to do away with heated humidification and go to chilled air for the CPAP.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
My need for air conditioning is significantly reduced since installing a good ceiling fan. It's quiet, and I stay comfortable on all but the warmest nights. I just got back from the Florida Keys for a couple weeks. Temperatures in the upper 80s day and 70s nights. I used AC the first day to acclimate, then just used natural ventilation and a ceiling fan.

Heat and humidity is different at the many locations members live, and each of us has a different tolerance for temperature. There is no single right answer for this question.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, I sleep just fine at 80 F temp and 25%RH. And I run a system one with heated tube with temperature setting at 1 so my delivered air temp is a bit higher.

I dont think Cpap makes a difference in your room temperature need.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,959 348,881 10 hours ago
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  AHI vs Desaturation -which is more important? vwboop 1 127 03-08-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Information About Knightbridge Dual Chin Strap - IMPORTANT cmpman1974 0 423 12-13-2023, 12:31 AM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  CPAP and Significant Other that Cleans the Bedroom StratCat48 0 278 09-03-2023, 07:12 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Most Important OSCAR Data for Dreamstation upsman 2 462 08-24-2022, 06:10 PM
Last Post: upsman
  humidity control-summer vs winter cberistain 7 900 08-05-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: djont57
  xPAP replacement midwestguy 2 453 07-31-2022, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Psychotech

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.