Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

yankees123 - Therapy Thread
RE: yankees123 - Therapy Thread
I would say to confirm it with an ENT familiar with PP. And scroll thru your charts and document how extensive it is.
Call Alexostent and see if they know of any doctors using it in your area.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys, will look into it.
Post Reply Post Reply
A question I have is with this prolapse problem wouldn’t you expect me to have problems with flow limitations?  Usually my 95 percentile is very low.
Post Reply Post Reply
PP is absolutely a flow limitation problem, up until the point of total occlusion.

However, xPAP machines only measure inspiratory flow limitation (IFL)(stuff above the -0- line). PP is largely expiratory flow limitation (EFL)(stuff below -0-) which the machine does not.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Rubicon, are there any pap devices that do measure expiratory flow limitations?
Post Reply Post Reply
No.  IMO that's something you need to go over section by section.  "The Number" and "SkyLab View" are of no help.

Even section by section examination is limited in information.
Post Reply Post Reply
PP can be a bit different than standard flow limitations in that it often acts like a check valve with no problem breathing in but when you breath out a lot of resistance, fortunately this isn't happening all the time.

From what you have shown us it is significant enough to to have it checked out by a doctor that has the proper equipment to visualize this anomaly and possibly a stent to hold it open at night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Gideon, was hoping to resolve my osa with cpap and not with something invasive.  Will have to look for a doctor familiar with this.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is our wish as well. Most users we have seen with PP have found that CPAP helped little with the PP. One of the goals of seeing an ENT is to see if PP is in fact the issue here.

I've asked about the extent of your PP so I could ask the follow up question, is this a livable condition for you, one that you can safely tolerate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi yankees123,
I saw your note to come look at your thread.
The first thing I tried was turning off EPR (or bi-level), next I tried a different mask (instead of nasal pillows) so that I could breathe through my mouth.  Then I added a wedge pillow, to see if a different angle would prevent the palate from locking up on exhale.  No luck with those, so I asked to get the 6” AlaxoStent.

I used the company referred doctor for a virtual visit to start the order on the stent, as my wait to get into an ENT doctor in my region was looking like it was going to be forever.  I did finally get to see a local ENT, who scoped down through my nose to see (while awake and sitting up).  That didn’t show any problem, which (in my view) eliminated something scarier (such as tumor).  But really, if I didn’t have the stent on order already (just hadn’t been shipped), I would have requested that I be scoped laying down under medication, so that my throat would be relaxed as if I was sleeping… that would have confirmed the soft palate was an issue. 

But once I had the stent in, it improved both inhale and exhale.  It was worth trying, because it worked, and worked better than I had imagined (see SleepyCPAP Therapy Thread, all the way through my follow up sleep study with the stent).  When I combine it with my VAuto, I get night after night of 0.0 AHI, at lower pressures than before, and 99.5% Flow Limitations around 0.02.  I was a perfect candidate for it.  YMMV.

If you have access to an ENT doctor willing to scope you while you are drugged asleep, you might learn if the palate is doing what we suspect from reading your OSCAR reports.

As for cost, the company said a particular submission code worked for someone (or a few) insurance.  It didn’t work with mine.  I was willing to pay full price, and am glad it was fully worth it in the result.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 67 1,079 4 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] 6bez8dF5lf - Therapy Help, 6bez8dF5lf 9 227 6 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  michaelyu15 - Therapy Help michaelyu15 18 377 7 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 74 Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,362 Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,655 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,076 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.