Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

yet another Resmed vs Respironics question
yet another Resmed vs Respironics question
Let me start by saying that I am aware of the general consensus of our members with respect to the general feelings of Resmed vs Resperonics.  I am a DreamStation user and have been for several years.  It's time for an upgrade which will be covered by insurance.  So here's my quandary.

The DreamStation works for me.  And very well.  For the past year, my average AHI is 0.31 (compared to my sleep study score of 26.)  And I feel great.  I am a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.)

On the other hand, I read nothing but great things about the Auto Set.  So I'm really interested in hearing from anyone who has switched from one machine to another and how that transition went.

I would appreciate any thoughts.  I'm probably over thinking this and should just stick to what works!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: yet another Resmed vs Resperonics question
You are doing great with your present machine.  Why change to a ResMed with a different algorithm?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a new auto CPAP user since January.  I used a Dreamstation for about 30 days before switching to the Resmed Airset Auto 10.  Unlike you, I never achieved a decent AHI with the Dreamstation.  With the Resmed at the same settings and with the same mask my AHI is usually under two and not infrequently under 1.0.  

One reason I switched from the Dreamstation is that my breathing began to get out of synch with the machine and the way it tries to time respirations.  Resmed actually follows your breathing so that was a big plus for me.

I didn't have any problems with the transition, but as a new user it was all new to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently had my initial trial with a ResMed, then ended up switching to a Dreamstation because cellular reception is not great in my bedroom and I was able to add a WiFi adapter to the Dreamstation (but not the ResMed).  When I switched over to the Dreamstation, I saw no noticeable difference in my AHI.  I found the Dreamstation to be slightly louder than the ResMed was, but I also found it to be smoother for some reason.  Honestly, when I wake up on most mornings, I really have to think if it's even on...  I'm not sure if it's the combination of the Bleep mask and the machine, or if it's just the machine... but on most days, unless I put my had in front of the exhalation port of the mask, I would swear that the machine was not even running (but it is indeed pumping out my prescribed 10-16).

When the trial was complete, and I purchased my permanent machine from a supplier (who is not one the board's list), I was able to buy the DreamStation Expert which has a new P-Flex setting (I still cannot find much info on it).  I see that Supplier #32 on the list also sells the 501 model too.  I'm sure that there are other tweaks to it, but I'm always of the mindset to purchase the newest model of most of life's purchases to ensure that it stays current for a longer period of time.

If you are interested in trying the ResMed to see the difference, then I would ask your vendor about a trial for a couple of weeks on each model to see which one your prefer.  It''s not a small investment on your part, and since Insurance doesn't refresh for 5 years (I assume it's the same timing as mine), then you want to be sure of the one that you select.
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s looks like the DreamStation Expert CAX501H12 is available only in Canada.

The is an Auto Adjusting machine with an additional Pressure Relief Mode called P-Flex.  

Here is a brief excerpt from Supplier #32.

“So why is the P-Flex better than all the other pressure relief functions on the market?
Normal pressure relief functions lower its PAP pressure down to a certain level when expiration is detected. Whereas, the P-Flex is so intelligent that it detects the onset of inspiration as well as expiration so it could deliver the right amount of pressure relief when the patient needs it. Meaning that the P-Flex would create a more smoothing breathing pattern than the traditional pressure relief function. In addition, the P-Flex pressure can dip lower than 3cmH2O of pressure unlike other fixed pressure relief settings currently on the market.”

As usual though, Phillips Respironics doesn’t go into detail if the P-Flex function works differently than
A-Flex or C-Flex.  Hopefully, it’s an improvement.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Reading your various responses, the answer is obvious.  Stick with the devil I know.  It works.  Simple.  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
As an advocate for the opposing view, I started therapy with a Respironics M-Series Auto and moved to the System One 60 series Auto CPAP. I then managed to buy a Philips Respironics 60 Series BiPAP Auto 760. All of the Respiroinics machines allowed me to have between 0.2 and 2.0 AHI. My results are exactly the same on my current Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto, however the Resmed was the most comfortable, and the one I stuck with.

I have thousands of posts on here promoting Resmed over Philips, not because my personal experience is poor with Philips, but because a disproportionate number of members have difficulty with it with persistent indications of flow limitation, inverse inspiration/expiration time, unresolved hypopnea and snores and poor breath timing sync. I don't know why many people that show problems with the Philips do better with the Resmed, it is just true, most of the time. For individuals that succeed with the Philips Respironics machines, I don't advocate a change. The best candidates for Philips are those with plain obstructive sleep apnea, good respiratory flow characteristics and a lack of anomalous breathing (flow limitation, long expiration, flow fluctuations in inhale or exhale etc.). My personal preference for Resmed is that I enjoy the bilevel delivery of pressure. A few extra bonus points for a much better travel case, smaller form-factor, more responsive auto-on and auto-off, quieter operation, and the use of FOT instead of pulse for apnea differentiation. I do find the pulse much more noticeable. YMMV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,864 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 274 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 866 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 877 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 537 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,764 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,406 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.