Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

yet another question!!
yet another question!!
Its been 10 days, I find that I am actually getting used to the nasal pillows a bit more however the last few days I find myself feeling like I want to breath thru my mouth, as if there is air in my mouth I need to breath out. I normally dont mouth breath so this is new for me. Any suggestions? I dont feel like I need a chin strap as I can control the breathing, its just the need to exhale thru my mouth, is there a reason I am feeling "full of air"?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: yet another question!!
IF you feel the need to breath thru your mouth and you don;t feel the need for a chin strap, then the only thing left is to consciously place your tongue to the roof of your mouth. That stops all air. Its impossible to breath thru your mouth. This does require a conscious effort on your part until it becomes natural for you.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
What is happening is you are unconsciously allowing air into your mouth as it goes down your throat from your nose. It takes some practice but eventually it will stop. Use the mask with the machine on. open your mouth slightly so that air comes out. Now fiddle with your tongue to stop the air from going out your mouth but still go down the throat. Then use the same movement with your mouth closed to keep the mouth from filling.

It will eventually become easy and you'll do it without thinking.

I've mastered it to the point that if I open my mouth with the mask on, I have to think hard to make air come out!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
As JudgeMental suggested about the tongue and a chinstrap may help to keep mouth closed just like bicycle training wheels and in time you find not needed any more. The other alternative is full face mask, yep i can hear you but some had success with it (whats the leak?)
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for your suggestions, I will try it tonight and just keep on doing what I am doing and pray that one day I will not DREAD going to bed!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
One step at a time. Don't set nightly goals. Just keep at it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2012, 01:36 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: One step at a time. Don't set nightly goals. Just keep at it.
Well said wise Paula
Every journey begins with a single step

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,422 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.