Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Drooling in the mask
Drooling in the mask
Hi, I have recently started using Resmed Air Sense 10 Auto with full face mask from F&P. I chose FFM because I sleep with open mouth. Everything is going fine but the problem is that I drool during the sleep. And when the drool goes into the mask it makes me uncomfortable and disturbs my sleep. I also found out that when drool collects in the mask then it affects the seal and also sometimes mask starts whistling.

To avoid drooling, I am thinking to try to close the mouth, although not sure if I can do that while sleeping. Even if I manage to close my mouth, would the therapy still works considering that I am using full face mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Drooling in the mask
G'day Kamran.

I use a full face mask but generally breathe through my nose with my mouth closed - no problem. I think you should try to do the same, or else try a nasal mask or nasal pillows which require you to keep your mouth closed. (Having said that, I've tried both with no success but don't have too many problems with a full face mask).
Post Reply Post Reply
lowering the humidifier also might help.

if you drool extremely that can also be a sign of a Bruxism or Teeth-grinding. (maybe you want to double check that with your dentist)
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can physically breathe through your nose, a chin strap or soft cervical collar can help to keep your mouth closed.  An adult size pacifier is reported to work for some as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for everyone for the advices. Last night I tried to close the mouth after putting on the mask but found it difficult to breath only with nose (may be due to deviated septum). That means I have to drop this idea.

My humidifier is already placed lower than my bed. My humidity level is set at Auto, not sure if I should set to some other value.

Btw, I do not drool extremely and this drooling was happening before I started using the cpap.

I did some research on google and found that this issue is common and few people are saying that this drooling gets better with time. So I will wait for few more days hoping that it will become better Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to reduce drooling? ATeam91 6 471 01-24-2024, 06:06 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,209 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,754 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Drooling in a full face mask!!! Davidacarrick 3 3,959 02-10-2020, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Leaks, drooling, and swallowing, oh my! tmoody 7 1,874 11-06-2019, 03:17 PM
Last Post: mesenteria

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.