Apnea Board Forum

Full Version: Heathkit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Is back in business.

Search google for heathkit.

Banana

They don't have much available for sale yet but good to see them back. I guess. depends on how many kits they start making available.

Wow! Thought they were gone for good. Brings back old memory's. Made a lot of there kits up when I was younger.
(12-18-2015, 03:44 PM)AlanE Wrote: [ -> ]Is back in business.

Search google for heathkit.

Banana

They don't have much available for sale yet but good to see them back. I guess. depends on how many kits they start making available.
The good old days have returned! I still have one of their VYVM's out in the garage!

I think I made a heathkit radio when I was a kid. It worked (barely).

A whole new generation of nerds and gearheads is now possible.
Someone must have resurrected the company.
I built one of their oscilloscopes when I was 13.
That was before UPS would ship anything that big; had to pick it up at a rail freight office.
I would suspect that somebody bought the rights to the name. Same thing happened to Packard-Bell, RCA, and many of the most revered names in consumer electronics. I'd want to know that the headquarters are still in Benton Harbor, Michigan Smile

My first kit was a knight-Kit stereo, but I built a Heathkit 13" color TV in the late 70s. It worked, and I managed to follow the convergence instructions to get a very good (for the times) picture. Was sad to see them die.

Now it's Adafruit and Sparkfun...
Among several kits that I built from them, one was their microwave oven. That was in 1970. My wife tells me to this day, that was the reason she married me. I looked at their museum website. It sure brings back a lot memories . . but no microwave.
As a ham in my youth, I built a lot of their equipment. Brings back memories.

I have seen the new offerings. It is not what it used to be. Maybe after they have been back for awhile.

Jeff
Heathkit had a store in Fairlawn NJ. I lived about a mile from it. Used to go there and look at everything I couldn't buy. Mess with the oscilloscope until the guy threw me out. LOL. He had some spinning pattern on it which I messed up and then I said I could get it back and further messed it up. Ah good times... I built a few of their kits but nothing major. I did a couple of digital alarm clocks and other experiment kits.
Wow! I finished building a dual-channel triggered oscilloscope that I bought from a fellow soldier in 1969 who did not do a decent job of soldering. After cleaning up all the cold solder joints and using good silver solder on the time-base switch, it worked. Alignment with good HP reference equipment yielded a scope that was stable and accurate to about 30 MHz. Pretty impressive at the time.

I wish the reborn company well.

My kit-building days are over. I don't have the fine motor skills or eyesight to still do this sort of precise work.
Pages: 1 2 3 4