Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Pillow Reviews and Helpfulness
User Avatar Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum
Posted by: lemonbomb - 07-27-2019, 02:26 AM - Replies (14)

Hi Guys,

I've been looking at getting a CPAP pillow to lessen the leaks. And it takes me awhile at night before I get comfortable with my DW Nasal pillows.

Also like most of you I have obstructive apenea and the proper neck position should help with this also.

So let me know if you use one, which one and if it helped you? I'm looking at this pillow in the picture attached. Thanks community!

Print this item

Help Interpreting In-Home Study
Posted by: coscribe9 - 07-26-2019, 10:57 AM - Replies (5)

Hey everyone,

I hope this is an acceptable request. I just got the results of my in-home study with Luna, and unfortunately it gave me a report, and no consultation. I'm a little overwhelmed and I'm hoping that anyone here can provide some insight to at least understand things a little more. I ordered the study after struggling with sleep for a while. Frequent wake ups were a problem, as well as feeling tired basically every morning. Things came to a head when I've been waking up gasping for air a little bit more often.

In addition to just general interpretations of the results, of which I've attached, I'm looking for answers to:

1. Is there anything in particular I need to be looking at that point to answers/results?

2. Does the diagnosis, treatment, and CPAP prescription match the results of the test? AKA, is it severe enough to warrant CPAP?

3. Was the in-home study enough or should I take a look at a more intensive lab one?

4. Is the recommended equipment appropriate? (mostly, the recommended machine, mask, etc.)

ANY help or feedback at all is very, very appreciated.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed (attachment included a link to Supplier #1)
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

Attached Files
.pdf   SleepStudy.pdf (Size: 283.46 KB / Downloads: 33)
Print this item

Not Sure How to Deal with this Flow Pattern
Posted by: Melman - 07-26-2019, 10:20 AM - Replies (4)

Every second or third night I have at least a one or two hour period that looks consistently like this.

[attachment=13879]

For the rest of the night the flow pattern shows no or little indication of flow limitation or snores.
Here is a shot of the whole night. The period in question is from 5:30-7:30. I can look at any two minute segment in that period and it's essentially the same
[attachment=13880]

I know the first thought may be positional, but I wear a soft cervical collar and use my buckwheat chaff pillow every night. I try to sleep on my side but know I roll onto my back frequently. But that occurs every night; not just on those in which I see this pattern. It’s not at the same time on the nights when it’s occurred. I have no idea what’s causing it.
I increased my min pressure several nights ago from 9 to 9.6 and it made no difference. Thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Print this item

Dr wants another study
Posted by: ShariMarie - 07-25-2019, 11:26 PM - Replies (33)

Hi,  New to the group and all of this sleep stuff.  I have been on therapy since late March of this year, 2019. I Started with the Resmed Air Curve 10 cpap and was switched after about a month to the Vauto.  Is that a Bi pap?  Anyway, I downloaded the Oscar software thing and I am seeing that I have increasing higher CA's in the past weeks.  What causes them to be at a 40 one night and a 15 the next?? The doc wants me to do a new study and spoke of a Bipap ST . Is is customary to do this so soon??  I thought I was on a Bi Pap for this reason and I dont understand what the ST means. I didnt think to ask at the time as I was shocked he wanted a new study. I took a screen shot of the chart showing increasing purple CA's. I can't figure out how the numbers change so drastically.   Is a Bipap ST different than the machine I have and if so, will it correct the CA's.  I dont want to invest in another machine that is not correct for my situation. I also do not have the confidence or the know how to adjust things the way so many of you do.  Is the new study a good idea or just a money pit. Sorry for all of the sporadic questions, im just so confused.

[attachment=13878]

Print this item

Oscar-NEW to this please let me know what you think
Posted by: castro9378 - 07-25-2019, 07:44 PM - Replies (5)

Hello, I have had a CPAP for about 10 years now. I had an s9 (still do) but got a Dreamstation yesterday and slept with it last night. My AHI on my s9 was usually 1.0 on average but on the dream station, it was a lot higher! I was shocked! I also got a new mask airfitn20 FFM I have used a mirage Quattro for years. I have downloaded the SD card to oscar which for my s9 shows from 2018...I accidentally added the dream station to it but figured out how to separate them, well the dream station by itself I think the last night's data is still attached to the s9 stuff. I am going to try to get both on here. I am not sure what I am looking at this stuff is so in-depth. Please any help reading my results or why the AHI is higher on Dreamstation would appreciate it. Any tips please and thank you so much in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

Respironics DreamWear under nose cushion
Posted by: VegasPier - 07-25-2019, 07:30 PM - Replies (11)

My wife has just started CPAP therapy. She is having a hard time with the mask. I suggested that she try a nasal pillow but that did not work to her liking. Yesterday she hand an appointment with the DME and he sold her on a DreamWear Under the nose Cushion. She can get that to work for her as long as she is on her back, but when she rolls over on her side she experiences a major leak. Any suggetions?

Cheers, VegasPier

Print this item

Rough start with AirSense 10 for Her
Posted by: Dooley - 07-25-2019, 07:30 PM - Replies (8)

Hello,

I have had a Resmed S9 for 7 years, and as the motor is at end of life, I decided to get a new machine and bought the Resmed AireSense 10 for Her.  I set it up with all of the same settings as the S9, but have had 2 horrible nights with it.  Pressure is 4-14 and EPR is on for Ramp Only and set at 1.

It starts out great, super quiet, but I have had trouble getting to sleep due to my husband snoring.  I think I'm then hitting the end of the ramp up period, and it starts making this whining noise, I think when I'm breathing out, so then I continue to have trouble getting to sleep.

I'm using my Quattro full face mask that I've had from the start, and in the night when I have managed to go to sleep, it wakes me up because the pressure has gone way up and is blowing the mask away from my face and filling my cheeks.  Even when I'm then awake, it keeps doing this, so it shouldn't be from an apnea.  It says the pressure was 11.2 and leakage 7L/min.

I had no troubles at all with the S9, so am really disappointed that I'm not able to make a smooth transition to the S10 so far.  I don't quite understand the EPR setting, and am wondering if that could be part of the problem?  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Dooley

Print this item

Surgically Implanted Gizmos
Posted by: Croweater - 07-25-2019, 05:34 PM - Replies (7)

Seems kinda radical, but the FDA has approved a couple of chest-implanted boxes to treat apneas, removing the need for bedside machines and facemasks. I was wondering if anyone on here has tried this, or knows someone who has?

For OSA: https://www.inspiresleep.com/

for CSA: https://www.respicardia.com/remede-system/

Print this item

95% leak rate equals ZERO
Posted by: Rcgop - 07-25-2019, 08:56 AM - Replies (7)

Yes, I have attained a zero 95% leak rate. In fact, I have had 12 days like that in the last month. All but 4 days were 2 or less l/min. 

Want the secret to my success? I know mouth leaks are the hardest part with pillows but they can be overcome. 

Practice, practice, practice along with patience, patience, patience. 
I am sure raising EPR helps along my relative lower pressures. However, at numerous times throughout the day I have caught myself with my mouth shut, tongue against my teeth forcing all air through my nose. 

If this keeps up, I will try to give up the chin strap.

Print this item

large leaks rating
Posted by: christian4870 - 07-25-2019, 12:43 AM - Replies (2)

Hi,
I know this is a very old issue. But unfortunately always on topic with my apnea.
Is there a value/level to which large leaks are still acceptable?
I do not feel comfortable with full-face masks, so I use nasal masks. My time percentage of large lecks (which are not compensated by the Resmed Airsence 10 auto) is in last year in average between 1,25% and 4,15 % (sleepyhead). altough I am taping every night. Is this tolerable?
How do you rate this?
Thank you and best regards from very hot vienna!
Christian

Print this item

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.