Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Confusion
User Avatar Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum
Posted by: Apnearon - 06-15-2019, 07:21 AM - Replies (33)

New to apnea treatment, and new to this forum I’m going through Mask hell, most of my therapy has been fighting with my mask sealing, from searching the web the mask is supposed to be adjusted for comfort. I have 2 mask a Philips Respironics Medium full mask and a Philips-Respironics under nose and over mouth mask and I’m sure I’m a Medium size for the mask. Now how do I get a comfortable fit and block all the noise from the mask? Trying to get ALL the noise stopped, is like having my head in a vise and tightened with a cheater bar. I think I’m over thinking leaks and noise, so last night ( Sd card left in PC ) what a dummy I am, so I have no information to go by, but I started thinking Comfort, so I adjusted the straps to where I was pretty sure if it was leaking so be it (trying for comfort), thinking again, that I would check the results in the morning, did I mention I forgot and left the SD card in the computer, oh well try it again tonight with the SD card in the cpap machine. I want to say with straps tightened for comfort, I feel that noise is normal, and I noticed I feel the constant flow of air which I think should be normal, but the noise has me consumed not knowing if it an internal or external noise. Thanks for reading

Print this item

ResMed Airsense 10 connection to myAir on unsupported countries
Posted by: lemonbomb - 06-15-2019, 02:46 AM - Replies (3)

I wonder if anyone has opened the ResMed 10 to look at the cellular modem? I'm from telecom and usually you just need to change the simcard? And maybe if ResMed allowed this we can get it to connect to myAir. I'm from the Philippines by the way.

Print this item

EPI (Expiratory pressure intolerance) on SH
Posted by: Michaely6 - 06-14-2019, 07:42 PM - Replies (2)

I read alot about EPI especially from Dr. Barry Krakow and I just wanted to know how does EPI look on a sleepyhead flow graph? I know how flow limitation (flattened I inspiratory curve) looks and was just wondering if anyone has an example of what expiratory pressure intolerance looks like on sleepyhead.

Thanks In advance.

Print this item

Struggling - How does it look?
Posted by: johnboyinfl - 06-14-2019, 06:28 PM - Replies (16)

A very long story short.... I have been diagnosed for several years. First try was not successful. Second try was a bit more successful. This is my third try after having my CPAP machine just sit in my closet.  I would like this try to be even more successful.

I decided about a month ago that I wanted to give this another try.  I was very tired during the day. After I got home to relax, I just couldn't keep myself awake.  Headaches were getting more severe.  I  knew it was time for another go.

I really struggle and get very anxious when I put the mask on. My doctor has prescribed me some meds to help..... both relax me and keep me asleep.  I still wake up multiple times in the night. I struggle putting the mask back on after I wake in the night. (bratty child syndrome). I am claustrophobic and have a very difficult time getting back to sleep. I also love sleeping on my stomach and that is very difficult with a mask.

I think last night was one of the best nights I have had with my CPAP treatment but still don't feel very rested today. I suppose that comes with time.

I just recently installed the software thinking that if I can actually see the data that I am sleeping and know that things are working, I will be more more likely to have a positive attitude about this.  MyAir really doesn't cut it for me.

I hope I followed some good directions and these charts are helpful.

[attachment=12829][attachment=12830]

Print this item

aerophagia
Posted by: jinx1953 - 06-14-2019, 08:42 AM - Replies (10)

Does anyone have a problem with swallowing gas and your stomach is distended.  (aerophagia)  It's very hard to change the settings myself to try and get a comfort level without asking someone to do it for me.  I started this about 1 1/2 years ago.  I was stopping breathing 28 times/hr.  NOw my pressures were at 6 - 16 with great results below 5 all the time but I had so much gas issue that they brought me down to 6 - 15 and now I am below 10 with still some gas issues.  Anyone else out there has this problem and what did you do?  I have bought my machine but unable to control any of it without asking.

Print this item

Question How to change the Expiratory Pressure Relief setting on a Phillips Dream Station.
Posted by: R Dillinger - 06-13-2019, 07:07 PM - Replies (8)

Hello all,

Just got my first CPAP machine.  Phillips DreamStation.  Tried it last night and did not get to sleep all night.  So much for sleep apnea.  Ha!  
I guess I will have to get used to it.  My biggest problem was on exhaling.  I got too much resistance upon exhaling which irritated me all night.  I am on level 5 for pressure.  

How can I lower the Expiratory Pressure Relief setting on a Phillips Dream Station?   I hope it is easy to do.  I think things will go much better if I did not spend a lot of energy exhaling into a large counter air pressure.  

Can I do this myself or should I call the sleep doctor and tell him about it.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Are there any youtube videos or written instructions to change this setting?  

Thanks,

Print this item

Newbie-UARS/Catathrenia-using AirCurve VAuto
Posted by: esme17 - 06-13-2019, 06:58 PM - Replies (3)

Hi! I’m new here and new to PAP therapy; only on my third night. I’m struggling some but very motivated! Hope I can get some help.

I chose a bilevel machine after a ton of research as it seemed best for my particular issues. Mainly flow limitations, RERAs, a few OSAs, fewer centrals, catathrenia, snoring on my side with my mouth closed (so talented!), autonomic nervous system dysregulation/complex PTSD, LES dysfunction/GERD. 

During my sleep study I was prescribed a pressure setting of 6 on an APAP. Long story short, I was not compliant due to constant congestion (caused by the machine) and gave it back. I no longer have a sleep doctor as I had 2 already and neither were willing to work with me or help me when I struggled. So, I’m doing this on my own. I bought my current machine and here I am.

My settings are as follows:
Max IPAP: 25
Min EPAP: 6
PS: 3
Ti Max: 4
Ti Min: 0.3
Trigger: Med
Cycle: High

My main issue is the inhale. I feel like I’m fighting the machine during inhale. I feel like it’s breathing for me; feeling it filling my lungs. I played around with the settings and PS 0 feels nearly perfect. Like I’m breathing normally. Is this crazy? What does this mean for my therapy? Can I leave it this way or is there a happy medium? 

The other issue I’m having is only as I’m drifting off to sleep is there a very distinct “drop” at the end of my inhale (where there would be a natural pause between inhale and exhale). It almost feels like suction, and it immediately jolts me out of actually falling asleep. It happens multiple times as I keep drifting off and is very jarring and annoying.

Thank you for any help!

Print this item

Air Canada CPAP rules - don't plug in
Posted by: whittonm - 06-13-2019, 01:12 PM - Replies (14)

I was recently traveling in business class on Air Canada on an overnight flight and used my CPAP plugged into the airplane power outlet.  I was not disturbing anyone.  An officious flight attendant told me that was not allowed, that I could only use it with a battery pack.  This makes no sense to me as lithium batteries are a fire hazard.  So I wrote to Air Canada to complain and they confirmed that you can only use a CPAP in flight if you use a battery pack.  I have used my CPAP in the past on Air New Zealand, United, and Air Canada.

Do other airlines have this restriction?  If yes, why is a flammable lithium ion battery pack preferable to plugging the CPAP into the plane power outlet? Dont-know

Print this item

Another CPAP newbie with questions
Posted by: hart1026 - 06-13-2019, 06:27 AM - Replies (4)

Hi everyone,
     So on May 4th of this year, I finally joined the ranks of an official CPAP ownerSmile  Having had issues with snoring and daytime somnolence, I figured I would get checked out. So, like many of you, I did the sleep lab assessment, followed by the titration study. Results indicated I have Moderate OSA with a preferred pressure at 14cm H2O on a full face mask.  Now, my first comment on that is that I'm not sure how they got that, because I felt like I slept only about 10 minutes that eveningSmile  What I do remember is having woken up to someone holding a leaf blower in my mouth (at least it felt that way).  I walked away with probably the worst sleep of my life that night. So, I was given a Phillips Respironics Dreamstation APAP and an Amari Full face.  Worked for a week or so, but since I am a side sleeper, kept on having issues and didn't feel good forcing me to breath through my mouth (i always thought I was a mouth breather). So, I tried the Wisp. Low AHI's (.5-1.5), but felt like inspiration was being hampered. Tried the large size, then leaks ensued. Finally, tried out the Dreamwear Nasal Pillows. I like the minimalist aspect, the comfort, and ability to sleep on the side. it also provides me with low AHI's (.4-1).  So that's the back story.  Now the issue...I have always awoken multiple times nightly, unsure why. Tossing and turning.  True insomnia or OSA.  I felt like after the sleep study this was due to awakenings as a result of having sleep apnea. But to be honest, it feel like my sleep has gotten worse.  I will usually get about 3-4 hours of sleep initially (9:45-2-2:30), and I habitually wake-up for some unknown reason.  Then, its almost impossible for me to return to a good sleep.  I've looked at Sleepyhead charts seeing if I can account for that, but it's relatively Greek to me. I've looked at RERA, but what I do have, seems to be at the very beginning of my night, and then no more. I've aligned pressure with the 90% (9cm) with a ramp of 7.  Still no change. I use breathe right strips to help, anti-histamines, exercise daily, good sleep hygiene, to no avail. 
    In closing, any thoughts and advice would help so much.  If I need to post reports, please let me know. I think I had better sleep without it, but know I need to continue for health reasons.  As a side note, i'm healthy, and take only multi-vitamins and an Anti-depressant (SSRI).  Thanks

Print this item

Anyone Familiar With CPAP Hardware? Trying to repair a non working machine
Posted by: jbsix - 06-13-2019, 05:39 AM - Replies (15)

My Philips Respironics Bipap AutoSV Advanced no longer works. There are no Philips service centers in the country i live in and importing one from the US would cost a small fortune not to mention take 10-14 days to arrive. Switching to my previous Auto CPAP resulted in my first migraine in years, and if the past is any indicator, i expect it won't be long before i start losing higher cognitive function. For now i'm hoping it's something i can fix before i turn into a blithering idiot.

It was working perfectly fine the previous night, never showed any signs that it might be "dying out" during the 3 years i've been using it, but since then every time i switch it on it gives me four short beeps followed by a continuous beep and a vague message on the display that says "Device Inoperative". The service manual says nothing other than "replace PCA". There are no menus and nothing works.

After partial disassembly, there appears to me no leaky caps, loose wires or anything obvious. however i notice there's a battery on the mainboard next to the serial connector. makes sense, how else would it keep track of blower hours despite power loss?

Now this is a long shot, but i'm working under the assumption that if the battery just up and died after so many years of use, the machine would no longer be able to collect stats for insurance purposes and that it might show a message similar to mine in this scenario.

The battery appears to be either glued or lightly soldered onto the pcb and prying it off completely might result in some breakage and headaches requiring resoldering. simply disconnecting the -ve end (and presumably clearing the nvram) has failed to yield anything positive.

i guess i'm pretty much lost and in unknown territory here and am looking for any feedback from someone more knowledgeable on how i might go about this.

Print this item

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.