Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chronic cough since CPAP started
User Avatar Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum
Posted by: stillaliveca - 12-28-2018, 05:00 PM - Replies (7)

I have posted two topics recently and received very helpful responses, so I figured I would try one more.

I have been using CPAP for about 6 months now and ever since I started I have had a chronic, mostly dry cough. I did not have this before and I am sure it is from the CPAP blowing air down my throat all night.

I do not cough during the night, but once I am up and about for the day, I cough a lot, maybe 25-50 times a day. I feel a tickle in my upper respiratory tract and cough to ease the feeling. Sometimes I cough several times in a row. Whatever phlegm gets coughed up is whitish. I do not feel in any way sick.

I have tried different settings of the humidifier but this has made no difference.

I did try a prescribed med for sinuses but it made little difference.

Has anyone else had this experience and dealt with it successfully?

Print this item

Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP
Posted by: dk2011 - 12-28-2018, 01:22 PM - Replies (2)

Current pressure setting on Dreamstation is 6.0-12.0

When I wake up, the pressure is usually at 8.5, and my app and results page states that the “90% Pressure = approx 8.5”

Is it a bad idea to change my pressure to 8.0-14.0 or perhaps 8.0-12.0?

Print this item

Mask Leaks
Posted by: iwagner - 12-28-2018, 11:58 AM - Replies (13)

First time cpap user just diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea (17.6 AHI/hr) a few weeks ago.  I have never slept well and always feel tired even after sleeping for 8+ hours a night, so I'm pretty excited to see what life is like sleeping good!  I purchased a ResMed Airsense 10 autoset with heated hose and humidifier along with a ResMed Mirage Quattro Mask (medium).

I've only used it for two nights and already feel way better in the morning, but I'm struggling with getting a good seal on the mask.  I've watched every video available on using this mask and no matter how I set it up I get leaks at higher pressures.  Last night it woke me up with "seal barking" and air blowing into my eyes.  Any tips or suggestions?  I did not have the mask fitted by a provider, I went to ResMed's website and downloaded their fitting tool, so maybe my mask is too small even though it looks similar on my face to the videos I've watched on proper fitting of the mask.

Much thanks

Ian

Print this item

Bipap titration?
Posted by: Michaely6 - 12-28-2018, 08:07 AM - Replies (11)

How do I go about getting a bipap titration? I already had a sleep study done over a year ago with a different company that I no longer associate with so can I just use those results to get a bipap titration done or do I have to start all over with another sleep study first with a different company? I was never originally prescribed a bipap machine either. I was prescribed a Resmed autosense 10 and didn't feel like it was working so I went out and got an aircurve 10 on my own after reviewing the data on sleepyhead so technically I never qualified for the bipap machine so will this be a problem in getting a bipap titration done?

Print this item

More trouble from DME mask/machine
Posted by: lynneat - 12-27-2018, 11:09 PM - Replies (4)

I'm trying to change DMEs because the one won't answer questions on the phone. I'm disabled and driving 50 miles to take daughter to them is killing me FOR MORE THAN ONE QUESTION and I have more than one!
I'm waiting for the doctor to give script to the new DME.  Waited a week, tomorrow will call and if no response I'll GO there.  cheesh.
OK thanks to you all I have some info and may change machines.  Dreamstation WAS putting a steady stream of air out, but now it ramps up and down with each breath.  Too many problems.  She has sedative medication and undoes the straps in her sleep.  Had trouble with nurses learning how to put it back together.  Next time I'm sewing it once I get a good fit.  Thanks for all your info.  Now I can do check mask fit.  At least I can do that now.  DMEs and their secrets!  Thank God for you all.  I cannot understand why she feels short of breath NOW when she didn't before.  Also why it ramps up and then down with her breaths.  Not the steady stream of air it used to have.  If it weren't  for you all I don't know what I'd do.  She stops breathing in her sleep so I have to fight the powers and get this right.
Thanks. Thanks

Print this item

getting information concerning oximetry
Posted by: yankees123 - 12-27-2018, 08:27 PM - Replies (2)

Are there any wiki discussions on oximetry and sleepyhead? Want to learn how to interpret and understand what the graphs are showing after importing it in sleepyhead.  
Thanks

Print this item

Upgraded to Resmed AirSense 10, but ...
Posted by: heropass - 12-27-2018, 04:46 PM - Replies (9)

My sleep doc upgraded me to a Resmed Airsense 10 last week (and large facemask now instead of a medium). The first night I left the settings as they had it set it at the supplier (min pressure 4 and max pressure 5) and got and AHI of about 20. No good. So I adjusted my settings a little but still around 15. So I looked at what the pressure settings I had on my old Resmed 9 and set the 10 to those old settings. Definite improvement to my AHI but still varying between 4 and 9 AHI).  On my previous setup I was getting AHIs between 1 and 2. What gives?  I decided to use my oximeter again to track what was going on.  The screen shot from last night is below.  Anybody see anything obviously wrong in my settings that I'm missing?

Print this item

Question on sleep titration study -- arousal index, uars
Posted by: dcg494 - 12-27-2018, 05:05 AM - Replies (19)

Hi everybody, 

Here's a picture from my last sleep titration study. It seems they titrated using a fixed pressure cpap (i.e. no pressure relief). 

The doc said 8cm controls the events, but I'm not so sure, looking at the arousal index.

Also, does have an idea why the arousal index jumps from a low at 8cm to a high at 9cm pressure ? 

Thanks !!

Print this item

Newbie with Full Face Mask Philips Dreamwear and big AHI
Posted by: Planemaker1974 - 12-26-2018, 09:44 PM - Replies (10)

Hi all, 

I just started with the FFM Dreamwear from Philips having read a lot of good reviews on this forum. And I had a lot of expectations on it. 
Unfortunately when I woke up this morning I saw very bad results on SleepyHead. 
Would you mind helping and letting me know what I am doing wrong

Resmed Airsense Autoset 10
Start Pressure : 9
Min Pressure: 11
Max Pressure: 17. 

I am wearing the Medium cushion. 

I could see that I should increase the Max pressure as at one point in reaches it. But is there anything else I should change? 
On the day before, I already increased from 14 to 15 as it already reached 14. 
The leaks seem to be very minimal. 
Why are there some breaks in the pressure graph? It should be continuous right?

I attach here few screenshots. 

Thanks a lot!

[attachment=9564]
[attachment=9565]
[attachment=9566]

Print this item

Trouble tolerating CPAP while sick (cough, congestion, nose bleeds)
Posted by: ColoradoMom - 12-26-2018, 08:36 PM - Replies (12)

Using his CPAP machine while sick has been a real struggle for my teenage son. He has a nasty cough and he feels like his cough becomes much worse while using CPAP. Because of his nasal congestion he feels air starved while using his wisp mask. We tried decongestants, they helped with the nasal congestion but created new problems, now my son is having bloody noses and vomiting blood (the vomiting blood has happened before, it was the result of nighttime nosebleeds that drained into my son's stomach). For the nosebleeds we have tried a saline nasal gel and a room humidifier, but it hasn't seemed to help so far.

Any suggestions on things to try to help make CPAP more tolerable for my son while he is sick?

Print this item

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.