Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP Questions. [A10 setup]
User Avatar Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum
Posted by: anonEmouse2004 - 09-26-2018, 04:58 PM - Replies (5)

Although I've been using a CPAP since 2007, newer machines have some features I'm not familiar with. My new ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset apparently will blow air through the tubing for 30-minutes after pressing the power button to dry the hose. I have to hold the button down for several seconds to get it to turn off immediately. How do you typically use this feature?

The AutoTitration feature is new to me as well. How long does it take for the machine to learn and adapt? My normal pressure is 14.5, so what should I set my high & low limits at? 

Since this is new, how would I verify the machine hours?

Thanks.

Print this item

Smile Travel machine
Posted by: almega1962 - 09-26-2018, 11:38 AM - Replies (6)

Hello all, I'm looking to buy a travel cpap. I've looked through several threads here but still have questions.  I currently use a Resmed S10 auto and use it every night with great results. For travel cpaps the S9 auto has been recommended on a few threads but I'm also looking at the dreamstation go. Is the dreamstation go really that much smaller when packed than the S9? Without me actually seeing them side by side its hard to get a feel of the difference in size. I know the S9 would have a power brick which increases the overall size and the go just has a power cord. Any help would be appreciated.

Print this item

What could have caused this 27sec CA?
Posted by: MyronH - 09-26-2018, 08:21 AM - Replies (2)

So I normally don't have long CA's, only about 10 seconds, and not very frequently. Some nights, none. But last night, I was wearing my Contec oximeter again, and it beeped, waking me up for low oxygen. Looks like I dipped down to 82% O2, until the alarm waked me up. I felt myself gasping a bit for air. I'm glad I was wearing that thing, because I wonder how much longer the CA would have went. My heart rate didnt even go up during this time and stayed around 50-60bpm.

I had some leaks before the CA's, but they ended several minutes before. And my pressure remained at my low setting.

[attachment=8486]
[attachment=8487]

Print this item

Sad Excessive Drooling, any solutions????
Posted by: Tombstone - 09-26-2018, 08:00 AM - Replies (9)

So I have been recently diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, and was given a Cpap machine and two masks to try.  First was a nasal pillow, and although I found it incredibly comfortable I couldn't use it due to many breaks in my nose and lack of airway.  The second mask, which I am currently using, is a full face mask, which again I find relatively comfortable and easy enough to fall asleep with.  My problem is once I am asleep I start to drool excessively, to the point that it breaks the seal and will ooze down my chin, neck, chest, and soak my shirt.  It has been almost two months and I find I am getting less and less sleep each night.  I've talked to the sleep clinic and they haven't really had any solutions to this problem.  Please tell me there is something I can try to minimize the drool, I am quickly loosing hope.

Print this item

Sad 1 Year on and mostly pulling the mask off
Posted by: mw1655 - 09-25-2018, 08:26 PM - Replies (14)

Hi All

Wondering if some fellow board members can help. A little over a year ago I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea at the age of 47 with an AHI of  16.2/hr. To cut a long story short I have been on a CPAP every night and I still struggle with pulling my mask off unconsciously for most nights. On a few occasions I do wake up an pull it back on. There have been a very days where I have slept through and felt pretty good in the morning but in general I struggle to get a good nights sleep and struggle through the following day generally grumpy and sometimes with a headache (don't know how my wife and young daughter put up with me - they are angels). I work late due to overseas conference calls, etc so I don't get to bed till 11pm-midnight and wake around 6.30-7.

Numerous visits to the doctor and sleep technician and they haven't been able to help. The CPAP is set to min 4 max 10. Options that I have tried

- Humidifier for a month (I don't have a dry nose or mouth) but the doc recommended I try it
- Tried switching from the CPAP to a BiPAP for a month  - not much difference
- Switched from a nasal pillow to nasal mask (DreamWear - more comfortable)
- Had acid reflux for a while but that seems to be resolved now (cut out spicy foods and alcohol for over 6 months)

Have attached some graphs from SleepHead with the last three nights I have had which are typical of the nights over past 12 months

Any help or advice will much appreciated

Attached Files
.pdf   250918.pdf (Size: 683.94 KB / Downloads: 60)
.pdf   230918.pdf (Size: 642.48 KB / Downloads: 26)
.pdf   240918.pdf (Size: 572.18 KB / Downloads: 30)
Print this item

Remstar M power button
Posted by: E.W. - 09-25-2018, 06:39 PM - No Replies

I have an old Remstar M  that has a bad power button. I really don't need the darn thing as
I have a couple of newer machines. At this point I am more interested in finding out how to
open it than actually fixing it but can't see how it opens. I have already removed all the screws
on the bottom and that didn't work. Anyone know how ?

Print this item

Distinguishing Between "True" Centrals and SWJ
Posted by: eyeheartny - 09-25-2018, 04:46 PM - Replies (5)

I've searched and can't seem to find definitive info on this question. I'm trying to determine whether the events my machine is reporting as CA/central apneas are actually centrals, or whether they're post-arousal events that are being recorded as centrals. 

I have two questions/requests:

• Can anyone who definitely knows they have/had central apnea post a SH chart that shows what a central looks like on the relevant data points? I'd love to see flow rate, flow limit, and any other relevant screenshots.
  • Can someone take a look at these zoomed in screenshots from me to see if these look like true centrals or artifacts of being awake/rolling over/etc? And can you tell me what you're looking at that pointed you in that direction? In other words, regardless of whether they look like true centrals or sleep/wake junk, can you walk me through your thinking so I understand for myself what you saw in my charts? Thanks!  Big Grin
This is a random set of screenshots from the last few nights. All the recorded CAs look the same on the flow rate chart-- the small squiggly line before the flagged event. What does that tell us about the flow? If this were a true central, would it look like this? If not, what would a true central look like? 

[attachment=8462]

[attachment=8463]

[attachment=8464]

Print this item

Resmed stink
Posted by: Davidb - 09-25-2018, 01:05 PM - Replies (12)

I'm new to cpaps (and new to this forum.) I'm experiencing an issue with resmed products that others have noted: the heated tubing stinks as it comes out of the package. I've also noted the same malorder on some of the masks and fittings.  I have a partial solution, but first, the parameters. Not all products with the same model number and the same listed country of oragin has the stink. The stink does not bother everyone, but causes nausea in those it does affect (my wife has an acute sense of smell, but hardly notices it). I can best describe it as a cheap perfume/chemical smell. It reminds me of the chemicals used in portable toilets. My partial solution is to wash the units in a packet of the powder used to clean residue out of coffee pots. It helps more than vinager. I'm going to try lemon next (also an acid).
    Resmed has denied there is a problem, and shows no interest in resolving it. If you are bothered by this issue, feel free to contact me. There are some avenues of resolution we could look into.

Print this item

Headband to protect dry eyes?
Posted by: OneSnorer - 09-25-2018, 10:14 AM - Replies (4)

On my 11th day of C-PAP, working well so far, I find I have dry or irritated eyes in the morning.
My mask and nasal pillow do not leak, or, at least I cannot detect it.

After a search here (in the wee hours!), I discovered that some use a headband.
, so I may try that.
Any recommendations on type and material?

I wonder if the humidifier settings may need tweaking?
They are as set by the DME people, or the default Respironics, but I can access the edit mode.

Print this item

The results of my sleep study are in. And the verdict is...
Posted by: Broomstick - 09-25-2018, 09:46 AM - Replies (10)

I have severe sleep apnea (AHI 31). I am in shock and disbelief because... 

I only slept for 1 HOUR. I could not sleep at all other than that 1 hour. Wasn't tired at all. Totally expected them to say there was not enough data. 

My at home study showed only a 5.4 AHI.

I don't snore (to my knowledge).

I am NOT tired all day to the point where I could fall asleep at the drop of a hat. (low energy and want to lay down, YES).

I dream every night. People with apnea are supposed to have trouble making it to REM state. 

I didn't feel like I had a rough night on the day on the test.

Again. Still in disbelief. Don't know what to say. Someone tell me something to make me feel better. I'd rather my problem be this than some other mystery illness that no ones heard of.

Print this item

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.