Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie questions - Apex XT Auto
User Avatar Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum
Posted by: larrypearson1 - 10-25-2017, 02:40 AM - Replies (1)

I have been using a Resmed S9 Auto for about 5+ years, and I travel around the world a lot. The Dept of Veterans Affairs bought the S9 for me. The S9 is still working but it's been thru the lost baggage dept at the airlines to many times. the S9 has about 6000 hours on it.

So, I purchased an APEX XT Auto mostly for travel until I get back to the USA (I live Thailand).
I don't really understand about the Auto feature which is on both the S9, and The Apex Auto.
Do I need to do anything to the XT Auto to set it up or just use it in Auto mode?
My pressure on the old S9 is 9.
the old Resmed S9 was set up by the Dept of Veterans Affairs, and I never messed withany of the settings, and I don't use the humidifier... The VA sleep clinic would 'calibrate it , or check it every now and then.

The XT can run in Auto mode or Cpap mode. The default is Auto mode.
Do I need to do anything, to set it up if I just use the XT in Auto mode. I tried to buy a machine that would do everything.

Let me know what you think I should do,.... Auto mode or Cpap mode???

PS. the little Apex XT auto is cute and very small. Perfect for travel (I hope).

Print this item

Noob Alert
Posted by: dracus - 10-25-2017, 12:52 AM - Replies (21)

Howdy Everyone,

I want to thank everyone in advance I have been scouring this board lurking for about a month now. Trying to gleen as much info as I can. I did read the wiki and lots of posts. 

I was diagnosed with Moderate OSA (AHI 22.9) about 5 weeks ago in a sleep lab, and I did a tritation study and was able to get my AHI down to zero with a pressure of 11. While I didn't love the experience, it wasn't the worst thing ever. I opted not to screw around and went with the simplus during the study to make things easier to figure out.  We did play around with a nose mask (eson). The technologist gave me both masks we used at the end of the study because they are single use.  

Today, I got dispensed my machine. I was expecting some sort of fitting but it was litterally a here's your machine, what mask do you want, sign these papers. I opted to try the dreamwear but I do get 30 days to try out whatever. Here's the rub though. I was told by the DME that caresource (ohio medicaid) only pays for the replacement of a mask once per year and doesn't cover any of the cusions, no changes of humidifers containers, and didn't cover the heated hose either. A quick note also, the new a10 autosets also don't come with sd cards anymore either. No biggie but worth noting. 

So quesiton #1 if I'm going to have to pay for cusions, pads etc out of pocket does anyone have an recomendations of what mask might have the least need to replace things. I had concidered trying the airtouch but the memory foam pads alledgedly need to be replaced monthly and they are costly. 

Question #2 

Any basic recomendations as far as adjusting the machine or should I just leave it setup pressure wise at the 11 and see how it goes.

I have copies of both my polysom and tritation if anyone needs to know. I am fairly technically minded but even I am going to need to get the dictionary out to figure out some of this. 

Thanks in advance...

Print this item

New data to review
Posted by: trickyneedsleep - 10-24-2017, 08:49 PM - Replies (9)

Please review my data

https://imgur.com/a/UzoA7

Print this item

Newbie questions!
Posted by: rememberyes - 10-24-2017, 07:54 PM - Replies (13)

Hi all! I was diagnosed about five weeks ago with mild obstructive sleep apnea (AHI of 12, mostly hypopneas), which was a bit of a surprise as I'm 32F with a normal BMI, no snoring, no hypertension, no smoking. But I did have severe fatigue, moderate daytime sleepiness, and I got up 4-10 times a night to pee, so my doctor sent me for a sleep study and here I am.

I rented a RedMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her for about a month after my diagnosis on Sept 14th, which was set to APAP for 2 weeks (I think the pressure range was 5 to 15, EPR at 3), CPAP mode for two weeks (pressure at 6, EPR at 3), and last week I bought my own machine - a ResMed AirSense 10 Elite, because buying the Auto machine was going to cost me something like $950. I've been tinkering with some of the the settings and just had a couple of questions as I get used to this. I'm seeing my sleep doctor for the first time since beginning treatment next week and this time I'd love to do more than stare blankly at her and stammer something about how I thought I had insomnia.

I woke up the first morning after getting my new machine with the WORST stomach cramps - I seriously thought I needed to go to the hospital, they were so bad! I realized that it was probably aeriophagia, and checked my EPR, which was set at 1, rather than 3 (although my AHI was the lowest it's ever been, around 0.91). I bumped it up to 3 again, but my AHI rose a little over the next few days, between 1.1 and 2.4. Sleepyhead shows that I'm having mostly "clear airway" events, but there weren't any central apneas on my PSG, so I think bumping up the EPR is perhaps also bumping up my CAs. If that's valid, then I think I should see if an EPR of 2 might help? Or is this a case where the machine/Sleepyhead sees a hypopnea and misclassifies it? I would LOVE to get my AHI back under 1 - that was my best night of sleep in 3 years.

Also, if anyone has any tips for traveling with a machine, I'd love to hear them. I've got a conference this weekend that I'm flying to on Saturday and while I travel a LOT for work, I've never had to deal with medical equipment before.

Thanks for reading!!

Lauren

Print this item

Oximeter questions
Posted by: CZOscar - 10-24-2017, 05:38 PM - No Replies

I am very interested in obtaining the Oximeter as part of my overall analysis of my sleep apnea therapy.

Is this the right (latest to be read by SH) oximeter:  CONTEC-CMS50F-Wrist Fingertip Pulse Oximeter with probe.
Commercial Link Removed.  Search newegg.

Thank you

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----

Print this item

BEARD TREATMENT FOR CPAP
Posted by: srlevine1 - 10-24-2017, 02:14 PM - Replies (15)

Just saw an advertisement and video for minimizing leakage for guys with beards. Does anyone have any experience with this CPAP shampoo and conditioner product or the wax sealant?

Print this item

A-flex versus Bi-flex
Posted by: Gary K - 10-24-2017, 01:22 PM - No Replies

I am considering a new bi-pap machine. I see the Phillips system 1 machine I have is a-flex there is a similar machine that is bi-flex and costs twice as much. I cannot seem to see an explanation by Phillips that adequately explains the difference. Can anyone help me with this?

Print this item

The Simplus gave me a full-face hickey and other mask indignities
Posted by: HalfAsleep - 10-24-2017, 01:06 PM - Replies (38)

It appears I need some assistance with masks....

Having endured 3 weeks of messing with the P10 only to have it generate a cyclone hither and yon, catch in my pillow, and generally keep me awake half the night messing up my stats, I ordered up several replacement possibilities from Supplier#1.

I ordered a Simplus, a Resmed AirTouch F20 for Her, and a Swift FX Nano for Her.

1. I first tried the Simplus. I'm not going to be able to use it because it's too tall for the available space, but in the process, the plump silicon seal gave me a full-face hickey. I have anglo skin that tends to be ruddy: there are a lot of little blood vessels right near the surface. In the space of 5 minutes, yeppers, I now have a 1" mask outline of burst little blood vessels from nose to cheek. Guaranteed to bruise by tomorrow.

Help needed. Forewarned is forearmed...no one's had this happen? If you have, how do you address this problem before and after? Preventatives? I could see this happening with other masks....

2. Then I tried the Swift FX Nano 4Her. This has a more complex version of the P10's headgear layout (especially behind the head), and I fear it's just as likely to be yanked off, sideways, downwards, or upwards. The swivel at the mask is so heavy, it almost pulls the mask away from my nose, just like the P10. Nyet to that one. It looked so cute on the foam mannequins, too...Sigh.

3. Three's a charm, but a full night's sleep will be the clincher.  The F20 AirTouch 4Her. 

Unadvertised virtues: 
-I associate the whoosh whoosh noise in the mask with being administered anesthesia in the operating room; I kinda like it, especially because it reminds me of the anesthetist saying, "Take a deep breath...." and promptly conking out. This mask has definite possibilities.
-When the lowest straps are too loose, every muscle in your face vibrates aggressively. If your mom ever told you to stop pouting or you have permanent lockjaw from enduring a testy boss, this is your route to total facial relaxation. Bug-eyed Just remind yourself ahead of time where the Stop button is so you don't overdo. IME.

Help needed: The only problem I seemed to have with this mask is that it will almost certainly put a scabby notch on my upper nose. The nose bridge is getting irritated from the edge of the inside seal. Normally my tendency would be to slap a piece of duct tape over the ow-ee (a habit born of practicality in the backcountry), but I'm not sure that's the right approach here. Is there any way to minimize this without compromising the seal?

More help needed: The F20 doesn't have a shorty hose between the mask and the heated hose. Is there a way to get one? After using the P10 for a while, I kinda got used to a lightweight short hose.

Print this item

Who's had surgery?
Posted by: tpstinson - 10-24-2017, 10:56 AM - Replies (20)

Hello from a new member! I've had maxillomandibular advancement (MMA) and genioglossus (tongue) advancement. It gave me more room for my (apparently) cow sized tongue, but did not eliminate my OSA. (Tonsils were removed as a kid.) A sleep study in March reported an AHI of 30+ with O2 saturation at 75%. After recent septoplasty and turbinate reduction I'm using a nasal mask and BiPAP therapy, having started two weeks ago. Although I'm still getting accustomed to it, all seems to be going well, and I'm using Sleepyhead to track my progress.

I'm curious, are there other members who've had surgical intervention that still need CPAP or BiPAP?

Apnea Board has been a great help already. Thanks for all of your efforts!

Tom

Print this item

I am new and would like to purchase my own Cpap machine. I have had sleep study done.
Posted by: Ericivey1 - 10-24-2017, 10:32 AM - Replies (6)

I would like to get information on procedure on purchasing a Cpap machine. I’m not sure one to get companies by me want to rent and go through insurance co. Don’t want to do. I have had study done and need to know the recommendations for settings from sleep clinic. Will they tell me or can I have them send information to someone that can? Thanks, Eric Ivey

Print this item

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.