Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New user with a question - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New user with a question (/Thread-New-user-with-a-question)

New user with a question - keving - 07-01-2015

[attachment=1567][attachment=1567]Hi All
I am a new cpap user and so far i am doing pretty well i believe . I use a nasal mask i had a few episodes of mouth breathing at first but those seem to have stopped , i am self adjusting some of my pressure settings i started on 5-20 cm but felt slightly suffocated @5cm so i changed to 6 which is great, the higher pressure of 20 [/php][/code] made my mask freeflow. so that is currently 15 . I am a scuba diver so i hope that term makes sense) .I am using a resmed auto system one machine.I think my current settings are doing really well i do wake up a couple of times per night to turn off the machine(without remembering)and ripping off the mask but that is improving from what ive read this happens to people new to cpap.I have added my sleepy head screen shots and welcome any comments or suggestions i am a nurse by profession but have alot to learn i am finding out. So please give me your opinions regarding my numbers.I would appreciate it and if i can be of help let me know.
Thanks Kevin Gardner

RE: New user with a question - me50 - 07-01-2015

(07-01-2015, 03:50 PM)keving Wrote: Hi All
I am a new cpap user and so far i am doing pretty well i believe . I use a nasal mask i had a few episodes of mouth breathing at first but those seem to have stopped , i am self adjusting some of my pressure settings i started on 5-20 cm but felt slightly suffocated @5cm so i changed to 6 which is great, the higher pressure of 20 [/php][/code] made my mask freeflow. so that is currently 15 . I am a scuba diver so i hope that term makes sense) .I am using a resmed auto system one machine.I think my current settings are doing really well i do wake up a couple of times per night to turn off the machine(without remembering)and ripping off the mask but that is improving from what ive read this happens to people new to cpap.I have added my sleepy head screen shots and welcome any comments or suggestions i am a nurse by profession but have alot to learn i am finding out. So please give me your opinions regarding my numbers.I would appreciate it and if i can be of help let me know.
Thanks Kevin Gardner

You have a Respironics machine, FYI. I am sure someone will come along soon that can help you out. If you are ripping your mask off, it is a possibility that you are not getting enough pressure or you could be getting too much pressure.

It would be really helpful if you could post some of your graphs from sleepyhead.

A suggestion: If you are going to make changes, it would benefit you to not make other changes for a week or two and see what happens. Too many changes at once and/or making them too fast doesn't give you the chance to see if the change helped or which change helped.

RE: New user with a question - keving - 07-01-2015

Thank you i appreciate it i will post a graph.The leaking has stopped and my settings are good i think i will not change them for awhile.

RE: New user with a question - lmoretti - 07-01-2015

The System One is a Phillips Respironics machine, not a ResMed Machine.

Your 90% pressure is 13mmH2O, so your starting pressure of 6 is probably low. I am not an expert, but I'd probably raise the starting pressure (if you can fall asleep with it) so that the Automatic algorithm has less distance to ramp up when events start happening.

RE: New user with a question - trish6hundred - 07-01-2015

Hi keving,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there and someone will be along to help you with your graphs.
Since you are fairly new to CPAP therapy, wear your mask and use your machine during the evening as you read or watch tv. This will help your body get used to it before you sleep.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: New user with a question - keving - 07-01-2015

Thanks i was thinking that earlier today, i feel a little air starved in the beginning but slept through the night by best sleep in years. I appreciate the help. I WILL TRY 7 TONITE .Thanks
(07-01-2015, 05:10 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi keving,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there and someone will be along to help you with your graphs.
Since you are fairly new to CPAP therapy, wear your mask and use your machine during the evening as you read or watch tv. This will help your body get used to it before you sleep.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
THANKS APPRECIATE IT

RE: New user with a question - zonk - 07-01-2015

(07-01-2015, 03:50 PM)keving Wrote: I have added my sleepy head screen shots and welcome any comments or suggestions i am a nurse by profession but have alot to learn i am finding out. So please give me your opinions regarding my numbers
Tips for new CPAP users (avoiding 10 common problems)
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tips_for_new_CPAP_users

As for numbers, the most important that you're using the machine approx 8 hours each night ... congrats

Sleep-well

Try chinstrap, would helps with mouth leaks
Profile ... Humidifier: not currently using
I cannot use CPAP without humidity, my nose get stuffy, also breathing cold air irritating and uncomfortable

But then, not everyone use humidifier .... everyone is different

RE: New user with a question - PaulaO2 - 07-01-2015

(07-01-2015, 05:04 PM)lmoretti Wrote: The System One is a Phillips Respironics machine, not a ResMed Machine.

Your 90% pressure is 13mmH2O, so your starting pressure of 6 is probably low. I am not an expert, but I'd probably raise the starting pressure (if you can fall asleep with it) so that the Automatic algorithm has less distance to ramp up when events start happening.

First, a 7 point spread in numbers is not that bad. It is a good starting point.

If the OP hasn't been using it for very long, it is best to leave the settings alone. Unless he is feeling smothered when first trying to fall asleep, leave it alone. Unless the AHI is just as high as during the sleep test prior to CPAP use, leave it alone.

He needs data. Lots of data, before touching any setting at this point. Raising the bottom number probably will not hurt anything but there's no reason to increase it just yet (unless he cannot fall asleep due to feeling smothered).

RE: New user with a question - quiescence at last - 07-02-2015

Welcome Keving. Those are good looking numbers. I sent you a private message.

QAL