Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Unclassified apneas - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Unclassified apneas (/Thread-Unclassified-apneas)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Unclassified apneas - nativedancer - 07-07-2015

Here's a SS from 7/6. I've chosen a few from the many UA's. Can anyone determine their significance? My Dr is inclined to discount them as fairly meaningless. But I am curious, and if anyone can offer any suggestions, I'd be grateful. Leaks are negligible.
[Image: NNc1BzR.png]

RE: Unclassified apneas - zonk - 07-07-2015

(07-07-2015, 08:42 AM)nativedancer Wrote: My Dr is inclined to discount them as fairly meaningless. But I am curious, and if anyone can offer any suggestions, I'd be grateful. Leaks are negligible.
leaks are negligible but maximum leak 170 L/m

Unknown Apnea http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed/global/documents/products/machine/s9-series/data-management-guide/368773r4_s9-bilevel-series_data-mgt-guide_amer_eng.pdf
An unknown apnea is an apnea during which a leak higher than 30 L/min occurs, precluding accurate determination of whether the apnea is obstructive or central.

RE: Unclassified apneas - MobileBasset - 07-07-2015

I know nothing about UAs but the math tells me that nativedancer had 42 of them during the night but less than one minute was spent in the large leak region which I assume includes 30L/min. I also assume each UA had to be at least 10 sec to be registered. That's 7 minutes. Something doesn't add up.

RE: Unclassified apneas - TyroneShoes - 07-07-2015

The documentation on SleepyHead seems to explain this, IIRC. I think an apnea is unclassified if the xPAP can't determine whether it is a central or obstructive (it is within the theoretical that an apnea can be both partially obstructive and that your CNS doesn't cause a breath when expected, both at the same time), and possibly apneas that are shorter than the common 10-second flag requirement are considered "unclassified" as well. Shorter apneas are probably not important because they are short enough to not cause 02 desat, which makes them not a medical issue. But if I was still having a lot of those, especially long ones, I would want to get to the bottom of that.

Leaks may also contribute. If there is a leak, it is difficult for the xPAP to gauge back pressure accurately, or to check the result of an FOT pulse accurately, or to even know whether the prescribed pressure is actually making it into the system.

RE: Unclassified apneas - nativedancer - 07-07-2015

Thanks, Tyrone. O2 is 98, so no problem there. And I may be wrong, but aren't these very brief apneas? If so, I won't be concerned. Still, the UA's do make for a confusing AHI.

I was honestly surprised that they are included in the AHI. I have the same APAP and the same SH software, and they are not included in mine. The classic makeup of AHI is that it is a combination of the obstructive index, the central index, and the hypop index, a summary index of just those three.

RE: Unclassified apneas - storywizard - 07-07-2015

Native Dancer has a S9 VPAP..it may not differentiate between apneas, my S9 Adapt lumps all apneas together as Unclassified Apneas...

Tyrone has an S9 Auto set, which does...

But we need one of the elders to verify this...:-)

Storywizard

RE: Unclassified apneas - nativedancer - 07-07-2015

Yeah, I didn't know there was such a thing as unclassified before I got sleepyhead. But I never was much good with statistics.

RE: Unclassified apneas - storywizard - 07-07-2015

(07-07-2015, 07:16 PM)nativedancer Wrote: My S9 seems to separate Centrals, Obstructives and Unclassifieds. Beats me, though, I never was much good with statistics.

And you are not getting large leaks??

Hmmm, so the machine is saying " I don't know what these are"...

Back to the doc I would say...

S

(07-07-2015, 06:59 PM)storywizard Wrote: Native Dancer has a S9 VPAP..it may not differentiate between apneas, my S9 Adapt lumps all apneas together as Unclassified Apneas...

Tyrone has an S9 Auto set, which does...

But we need one of the elders to verify this...:-)

Storywizard

Thanks.

I misread ND's info. My bad.

The link seems to explain it best.