Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
c-pap and medication - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: c-pap and medication (/Thread-c-pap-and-medication)

Pages: 1 2

c-pap and medication - lindaadams1954 - 05-17-2012

I have severe sleep apnea and at 14 pressure-I have been at this for 2 months and still have breathing problems I have gained weight not lost.but i have been on benzos for over 10yrs(not by chocie) log story and lyrica.aree these drugs affecting my sleep?I cannot keep a mask on all night and c-pap is not free here I have no insurance can anyone help?
I had a shoert sleep test -24 apneas in a hour.
I am morbidly obsese due to drugs ,have slight empaseama snd my stomache looks pregant now I struggle w breathing in the day but never had daytime sleepiness.
please help i am getting desparate.
thanks

RE: c-pap and medication - zimlich - 05-17-2012

Sometimes when apnea has been bad for awhile it takes longer than two months for CPAP to help. Your therapy will never be successful until you can use your machine all night.
What kind of breathing problems are you having? CPAP only helps while you're sleeping and then only if you're using the machine. What is going on that you cannot use the machine all night?
Any drug can affect your sleep architecture, benzos are contraindicated with sleep apnea if you can do without them.
Don't know about Lyrica and sleep.
What is it you need the most help with? Good luck

RE: c-pap and medication - Sleepster - 05-17-2012

(05-17-2012, 04:24 AM)lindaadams1954 Wrote: I cannot keep a mask on all night and c-pap is not free here I have no insurance can anyone help?

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. A lot of us here can relate. Adjusting to CPAP therapy can be very difficult.

Have you tried a different mask? Sometimes a change in mask can make all the difference. Did you buy your CPAP machine and mask from a local Durable Medical Equipment (DME) provider?

Even if you don't have insurance, most DME's will work with you on mask exchanges.

Do you take the mask off on purpose, or do you do it in your sleep?

RE: c-pap and medication - lindaadams1954 - 05-17-2012

(05-17-2012, 11:12 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(05-17-2012, 04:24 AM)lindaadams1954 Wrote: I cannot keep a mask on all night and c-pap is not free here I have no insurance can anyone help?

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. A lot of us here can relate. Adjusting to CPAP therapy can be very difficult.

Have you tried a different mask? Sometimes a change in mask can make all the difference. Did you buy your CPAP machine and mask from a local Durable Medical Equipment (DME) provider?

Even if you don't have insurance, most DME's will work with you on mask exchanges.

Do you take the mask off on purpose, or do you do it in your sleep?

no i amworking with a sleep therapist trying many masks.I take it off in my sleep.but they have limited masks to try because they are not free.I am a mouth breather and I drool a lot ..tried chin strap and it helped a bit .I dont know what dme is but I have terrible sleep habits as I have my own business.someone said benzos are contraindicated with sleep apea.What does that mean?
my question is do I nee to get off the benzos first before solving the sleep problem?
That will take a long time -I have the following problems-enlarged heart,(from untrreated sleep apnea)fatty liver.beginnings of empaseama,and I am morbidly obese.I actually thinkI am dying.
I have tried to get off the benzos and I suspect they are the worst culprit for sleep and I ended up in a mental hospital.I am not mental.I have depedecy to benzos because I trusted a dr.should i begin with getting rid of the drugs?and then solve sleep problem.?and how does one know what mask is best?/I had one night in 2 months of good sleep.I have leaks in my mask and a high pressure ...I am not sure any ideas helful.

RE: c-pap and medication - PaulaO2 - 05-17-2012

(05-17-2012, 04:24 AM)lindaadams1954 Wrote: I have severe sleep apnea and at 14 pressure-I have been at this for 2 months and still have breathing problems I have gained weight not lost.but i have been on benzos for over 10yrs(not by chocie) log story and lyrica.aree these drugs affecting my sleep?I cannot keep a mask on all night and c-pap is not free here I have no insurance can anyone help?
I had a shoert sleep test -24 apneas in a hour.
I am morbidly obsese due to drugs ,have slight empaseama snd my stomache looks pregant now I struggle w breathing in the day but never had daytime sleepiness.
please help i am getting desparate.
thanks

24 is not severe sleep apnea; it is considered moderate. Not that it makes that much of a difference.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Apnea_Hypopnea_Index_%28AHI%29

Like the others have said, the CPAP is to assist you during your sleep. It works by keeping the throat "inflated" so that it doesn't close and block your airway (which is what an apnea event is). So trouble breathing during the day is not related to sleep apnea.

(05-17-2012, 09:40 AM)zimlich Wrote: Sometimes when apnea has been bad for awhile it takes longer than two months for CPAP to help. Your therapy will never be successful until you can use your machine all night.
What kind of breathing problems are you having? CPAP only helps while you're sleeping and then only if you're using the machine. What is going on that you cannot use the machine all night?
Any drug can affect your sleep architecture, benzos are contraindicated with sleep apnea if you can do without them.
Don't know about Lyrica and sleep.
What is it you need the most help with? Good luck

no i amworking with a sleep therapist trying many masks.I take it off in my sleep.but they have limited masks to try because they are not free.I am a mouth breather and I drool a lot ..tried chin strap and it helped a bit .I dont know what dme is but I have terrible sleep habits as I have my own business.someone said benzos are contraindicated with sleep apea.What does that mean?
my question is do I nee to get off the benzos first before solving the sleep problem?
That will take a long time -I have the following problems-enlarged heart,(from untrreated sleep apnea)fatty liver.beginnings of empaseama,and I am morbidly obese.I actually thinkI am dying.
I have tried to get off the benzos and I suspect they are the worst culprit for sleep and I ended up in a mental hospital.I am not mental.I have depedecy to benzos because I trusted a dr.should i begin with getting rid of the drugs?and then solve sleep problem.?and how does one know what mask is best?/I had one night in 2 months of good sleep.I have leaks in my mask and a high pressure ...I am not sure any ideas helful.Doing without benzos after 20 years would mean treatment for years.and recovery for years.I amy be dead by then.

I am unsure of how to use this forum and change my porfile?but does this mean that my sleep apnea will never get better until I quit benzos?

Your profile says you have an S9 Auto. Is this the S9 Auto Escape? It will say this near the on button. If you have the S9 Auto, then it is data capable. Download either ResScan or Sleepyhead and view your sleep data.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Private-Files-and-Links

You say it is set to a pressure of 14. This is a high pressure and some have difficulties adjusting to it. You could either lower the pressure yourself or ask the sleep therapist to do it for you. Start with a lower pressure then, over time, increase it to the prescribed pressure.

Are you using the machine in auto mode? If so, then viewing the report would tell you what the average pressure is. Could be you are actually using less already or you are using more.

Benzodiazepine (benzo) could be considered contraindicative with sleep apnea. "Benzos" are a relaxant and can cause airway difficulties. It is not a drug to be taking if you have emphysema. There are ways to stop the medication but it takes time (as in several months or more) and you cannot do it alone. Talk to your physician about how to go about it. It would be best to continue using the CPAP while you are on the medication. Then, after you are finished, have your sleep apnea re-evaluated.

The main person who can help you is you.

You know you have bad sleep habits. Change those habits. Look at your routine and figure out how to do what you need to do and still get adequate sleep. Sleep is an important but often overlooked part of healthy living.

You know you are overweight. Start the process to lose weight. It ain't easy but it is possible. It is something I struggle with as well.

You know you have health issues. Gather up all your meds and go see your GP. Discuss each and every medication and how you can either stop taking them or change to ones that have less side effects. Let the doc know of all your medication, even vitamins and other over-the-counter stuff.

We can offer advice and opinions but it ultimately comes down to you.

(05-17-2012, 12:23 PM)lindaadams1954 Wrote: I am unsure of how to use this forum and change my porfile?but does this mean that my sleep apnea will never get better until I quit benzos?

Go here to read how to update the profile
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-How-to-The-User-Control-Panel

RE: c-pap and medication - SuperSleeper - 05-17-2012

Linda, what country are you located in?