Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
worried - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: worried (/Thread-worried--10364)

Pages: 1 2

worried - Walking Dead - 07-28-2015

I'm worried my apnea is too severe to be treated by a machine. At the study my AHI was a 127! They gave me a phillips machine and maxed out the pressure at 25. It seems like the masks I have tried will not support such high pressure and i have huge leaks in the 85% range... my resp theropist seems to be getting annoyed with me asking for a different mask and/or finding me one that fits. I do have a large beard but he does not seem overly concerned by that. Whats the next step? I'm miserable

RE: worried - PoolQ - 07-28-2015

We really need more specific info on your machine, lets for now assume that it is data capable. Get the sleepyhead software so you can see what is going on and not have to guess. It's free and if you used the CPAP last night you have data there waiting for you to look at. Oh and you need a card reader also, I got mine for $8.

Get the data graphed and post it here, there are plenty of people that have been doing this for more than 10 years to help you. These systems take weeks to tune up, you will not die in the mean time, but lets get started and move you to better sleep.

Do you have your sleep study, what kind of apnea's did you have?

RE: worried - Walking Dead - 07-28-2015

I'm pretty sure my machine is data capable. it has an sd card and modem that links to the Dr. I have severe obstructive apnea.

RE: worried - Sleeprider - 07-28-2015

With very high pressures, you should have been prescribed a bilevel machine for greater comfort. Nasal pillows are surprisingly good at delivering higher pressures without leaks, and are unaffected by beards. You need to avoid mouth breathing which would allow leaks. For people with very stubborn obstructive apnea, there may be additional devices that can help keep the airway open, and sleep position may affect you as well. We could use more information about your machine and apnea issues.

I will get all the info tonight and post tomorrow as my home computer is down. My equip/therapy guy seems to think the pressure is too high for nose aparatis.

RE: worried - kaiasgram - 07-28-2015

(07-28-2015, 04:33 PM)Walking Dead Wrote: My equip/therapy guy seems to think the pressure is too high for nose aparatis.

That's the standard party line. Wink But many people who successfully use nasal pillows at high pressures know better.

And don't worry about that 127 AHI -- we see lots of folks with triple digit AHI's who do very well on PAP machines. I'm guessing that you're already on a bilevel machine if you're seeing pressure at 25 since most CPAP and APAP machines don't go higher than 20. Which would also mean that you have a fully data capable machine.

BTW you don't need to buy a card reader if your computer has a built-in SD card slot.

Yes it is a BiPAP and thank you kaiasgram

RE: worried - jingo - 07-28-2015

(07-28-2015, 03:49 PM)Walking Dead Wrote: I'm worried my apnea is too severe to be treated by a machine. At the study my AHI was a 127! They gave me a phillips machine and maxed out the pressure at 25. It seems like the masks I have tried will not support such high pressure and i have huge leaks in the 85% range... my resp theropist seems to be getting annoyed with me asking for a different mask and/or finding me one that fits. I do have a large beard but he does not seem overly concerned by that. Whats the next step? I'm miserable

When I started using cpap 15 years ago my setting was 19, now its 10. Once you use yours for about a month you may find things improve as far as comfort and fit. What seems like big leaks may still be fine. Even 80% efficiency can bring life changes through increased energy and weight loss. Hang in there in time youll work it out.

Thanks Jingo.
well i just went and got a life fit full cover face mask. fingers crossed

RE: worried - trish6hundred - 07-28-2015

Hi Walking Dead,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and I wish you much success to you with your CPAP therapy, don't give up, sometimes it takes a bit 'till you get used to it.