Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term (/Thread-Newbie-Not-sure-if-I-ll-be-using-a-CPAP-long-term)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term - mogulman - 07-28-2015

Got diagnosed with sleep apnea, after talking to a pulmonologist about a chronic cough that I had. He had me do a home oxygen test at home first. Then I went in for a sleep study.

I got diagnosed with an AHI of 70. Although I'm not sure if the study was correct. The sleep study person had me sleep in my back without CPAP. Then she had me sleep on my back with CPAP full mask. I couldn't sleep. Then I tried the nose mask and couldn't sleep. Finally she let me sleep on my side and I slept for a few hours.

I told her afterwards that the nose piece and sleeping on my side seemed to work best. She said she thought I slept better on my back with the full mask. This made me think she was full of it, because I never slept during that time. I just had my eyes closed.

Anyway, I am pretty skeptical about a CPAP helping with anything. I didn't have symptoms as far as I can tell. I'm not sleepy during the day. I don't feel tired. I don't usually even need coffee to wake up. I don't have issues falling asleep. I am a light sleeper if there is noise or light in a room. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure a few years ago, but am taking medication for it. I'm overweight by 40 pounds. I also have very large tonsils.

I got a Resmed Autosense 10 autoset last week. I tried it with the Phillips Wisp nose mask. I couldn't sleep 4 of the nights I used it. I did get about 7 hours last night, but had already set up an appointment to try another mask. So I got a Resmed P10.

I'll probably try for another week or so, but am still not sold on CPAP. I think, even if I get used to it, if I don't notice any difference in how I feel, I may return it.

Anyway. Any other advice, other than lose weight?

RE: Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term - parkerdt - 07-28-2015

If you are that uncertain, I think you would be wise to ask for another sleep study. I denied my own issue for 5 years before I got a CPAP, now I have hig blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and glaucoma to go along with my shiny new machine. Your mileage may vary.

RE: Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term - mogulman - 07-28-2015

(07-28-2015, 07:40 PM)parkerdt Wrote: If you are that uncertain, I think you would be wise to ask for another sleep study. I denied my own issue for 5 years before I got a CPAP, now I have hig blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and glaucoma to go along with my shiny new machine. Your mileage may vary.

Sleep study now? or sleep study after I try it for a few weeks, if I don't notice any difference?

Any way for me to test my AHI myself, just to see?

RE: Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term - eseedhouse - 07-28-2015

(07-28-2015, 07:17 PM)mogulman Wrote: I told her afterwards that the nose piece and sleeping on my side seemed to work best. She said she thought I slept better on my back with the full mask. This made me think she was full of it, because I never slept during that time. I just had my eyes closed.

You probably were actually sleeping even though you don't think you were. Assuming they had the electrodes on your head your brainwaves do not lie and if they said you were sleeping you were.

It is very common for people to underestimate how much they sleep, especially insomniacs.

The number of events per hour is high indicating severe sleep apnea. You are likely to need to use CPAP for the rest of your life unless you lose a huge amount of weight and even then there are people who are not obese and still have sleep apnea.

Sleep apnea at the level the sleep study showed can cut decades from your lifespan if left untreated. CPAP is life extending therapy and has been proven by many scientific studies to be the best treatment we have or are likely to have soon for sleep apnea.

RE: Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term - Mosquitobait - 07-28-2015

If you are getting an AHI of 70 while awake, it's probably worse if you are asleep. I believe you fall under severe apnea. You may not feel tired. Lots of people with apnea don't until it all comes crashing down in other health problems. A lot of strokes, high blood pressure and heart attacks appear to be caused by sleep apnea. The goal is to prevent these life threatening and debilitating issues.

Given that most people who come to the board WANT to improve their sleep, I'd say on average, it takes about 3 months to really acclimate yourself. Some have it easier than others. Some have it much harder than others. Indicate the issues that you have - someone here has dealt with it before.

I'm not completely happy with any of the masks I currently have. They are doable until I find the 'perfect' one. My problem is a big head. The P10 would be PERFECT but it's a little too tight. The Wisp slides on the back of my head. I use a Sleepweaver Advanced when my nose is sore, but I do tend to get a couple of instances of large leaks on nights when I use that. It also isn't nearly as quiet as the nasal pillows. Some people complain about the costs. True, if you have no income, it's quite an expense. I've been on disability for some time and believe me, masks cost less than the meds.

RE: Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term - Sleeprider - 07-28-2015

Mogulman, do you like to ski?

If you want to see what your sleep breathing looks like as you use the new Autoset machine, just download the sleepyhead software http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

You can see see breath by breath what is going on and if there are apnea or hypopnea events. It seems unlikely someone would fabricate test results, but at least you can see what's going on for yourself. Hopefully it's all going to work out and get more comfortable.

RE: Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term - mogulman - 07-28-2015

I am a skier, about half the winter I spend up in the mountains in CO. Do CPAP machines work at 9000 Ft?

I'll try the sleepyhead software. I'm a computer geek.

I have look at the resmed myair website and the U-sleep websites for the CPAP. U-sleep is a little funky. Seems like it is made for some kind of compliance thing. The place that supplied my CPAP said that I can't have the myair info without the U-sleep.

Really the expense isn't the big thing for me. I have decent insurance and am willing to pay. I just really don't like wearing the CPap or taking meds in general. I'm willing to try though.

RE: Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term - trish6hundred - 07-28-2015

Hi mogulman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term - MobileBasset - 07-28-2015

I didn't believe it either when I was first diagnosed. But I came around and am very glad I did. The data will show you.

RE: Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term - PositiveMe123 - 07-28-2015

I wasn't sleepy either and felt fine during the day; maybe I could have lost 10 pounds. To be honest, I don't feel much better on the machine and I've lost those extra pounds. However, I was diagnosed with severe SA and realize that my body needs the oxygen. For me, it's better safe than sorry.

Good luck on your journey!