Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
AHI, machine pressure & leaks ?? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: AHI, machine pressure & leaks ?? (/Thread-AHI-machine-pressure-leaks)

AHI, machine pressure & leaks ?? - GrammaBear - 07-30-2015

Can someone teach me how a low leak rate and moderate machine pressure translate into a higher than normal AHI number?

Each morning I check my machine's display to see what the ahi, leak rate and average machine pressure were the night before. I usually have low leaks, a machine pressure towards the low end of my range but almost always have a higher ahi rate (for me). My ahi isn't bad (3.5) but before summer it was 0.8 or lower. Is the ahi influenced by seasonal allergies or what does make the ahi change from night to night. This has been going on for several weeks.

RE: AHI, machine pressure & leaks ?? - Shastzi - 07-30-2015

Maybe a good idea to post some of your data from SleepyHead here and see what the folks think.

Wink

RE: AHI, machine pressure & leaks ?? - Terry - 07-30-2015

(07-30-2015, 05:16 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: Is the ahi influenced by seasonal allergies

Yes, allergies will raise it, as will acid reflux, alcohol, and I believe some of the "sleepy" types of antihistamines.

RE: AHI, machine pressure & leaks ?? - GrammaBear - 07-31-2015

(07-30-2015, 07:08 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Maybe a good idea to post some of your data from SleepyHead here and see what the folks think.

Wink

I would try and do that except I'm "technically challenged" and don't know how. Thanks anyway.

(07-30-2015, 08:44 PM)Terry Wrote:
(07-30-2015, 05:16 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: Is the ahi influenced by seasonal allergies

Yes, allergies will raise it, as will acid reflux, alcohol, and I believe some of the "sleepy" types of antihistamines.

No alcohol and no acid reflux that I know of, but plenty of seasonal allergies and antihistamines. I sometimes forget to take the allergy tablets so maybe I better work harder on remembering.

RE: AHI, machine pressure & leaks ?? - Let Me Sleep - 07-31-2015

[/quote]

No alcohol and no acid reflux that I know of, but plenty of seasonal allergies and antihistamines. I sometimes forget to take the allergy tablets so maybe I better work harder on remembering.
[/quote]

My AHI dropped nicely when I switched from my claritin pill to the Flonase allergy spray. It seemed to clear up the nose much better, it took about 4 days to see benefits. Good luck.

[/quote]

My AHI dropped nicely when I switched from my claritin pill to the Flonase allergy spray. It seemed to clear up the nose much better, it took about 4 days to see benefits. Good luck.
[/quote]

Never considered 'switching' to Flonase allergy spray. Strange that you would mention it, but Flonase is sometimes used by people like myself who are diabetic and use an insulin pump. An insulin pump requires what we call an infusion set which is like a 'temporary' IV. There is a very small adhesive patch with a teflon cannula. Some people, including children, are very sensitive to the adhesive on the patch and the parent puts Flonase spray on the skin, lets it dry and then inserts the infusion set. I am also one of those people who get irritated by the adhesive but never tried the flonase. Thank you for sharing your idea, very much appreciated.