Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Two week wait for DME to dispense my CPAP device - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Two week wait for DME to dispense my CPAP device (/Thread-Two-week-wait-for-DME-to-dispense-my-CPAP-device)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Two week wait for DME to dispense my CPAP device - Dagmar - 07-30-2015

I was a bit shocked when my DME provider called and told me my authorization was all set but their next appointment for a setup (in their office) was two weeks out. I'm waiting for them because they only use the newest Resmed autoset machine. Has anyone else experienced these long wait times after authorization was set?

David

RE: Two week wait for DME to dispense my CPAP device - iSnore - 07-30-2015

I think mine was near two weeks after insurance approval… which itself took two weeks from the day the sleep doc saw me and sent it in… which took two weeks to get into see him after my titration… which took two weeks for the insurance to approve after I saw my sleep doc… which took two weeks to see after my sleep study… which took two weeks for the insurance to approve after he requested approval for the sleep study after I waited two weeks to see him after the insurance took two weeks approve my PCM's referral, which took two weeks to see. Does that add up to 4+ months? If so, I got it right. Seems like everything to do with CPAP takes two weeks!

RE: Two week wait for DME to dispense my CPAP device - parkerdt - 07-30-2015

My Sleep study was in February. Dr. appointment in May. CPAP machine in LATE May, about 3 weeks after prescription. You are not alone!

Now, I can't get my DME to call me to order replacement stuff Smile

Dave

RE: Two week wait for DME to dispense my CPAP device - LexTac - 07-30-2015

It seems that no one in the health field ever gets in a hurry for service, so two weeks sounds about right. However, payment for a service is another matter for another thread. Wink I wish you well on your new machine when you get it.

RE: Two week wait for DME to dispense my CPAP device - sleepybeaver - 07-30-2015

In home sleep study April 19th had my cpap May 15th.

RE: Two week wait for DME to dispense my CPAP device - Dagmar - 07-30-2015

(07-30-2015, 07:35 PM)iSnore Wrote: I think mine was near two weeks after insurance approval… which itself took two weeks from the day the sleep doc saw me and sent it in… which took two weeks to get into see him after my titration… which took two weeks for the insurance to approve after I saw my sleep doc… which took two weeks to see after my sleep study… which took two weeks for the insurance to approve after he requested approval for the sleep study after I waited two weeks to see him after the insurance took two weeks approve my PCM's referral, which took two weeks to see. Does that add up to 4+ months? If so, I got it right. Seems like everything to do with CPAP takes two weeks!

Thanks for making me laugh. I can see I'm not alone. When I worked as an RT in the hospital I was used to having people setup the day they were discharged. I guess the outpatient world is a whole different animal.

RE: Two week wait for DME to dispense my CPAP device - alby_c - 07-30-2015

This is a hobby horse of mine. They would not think of making a diagnosed Diabetic wait but Apnea - "no rush, its not serious"
I had a month wait - still cranky about it.
A month of being exhausted - falling asleep at work etc etc - you all know the drill because they could not be bothered to get organised.
Inexcusable imho
This wait after everything else they subjected me to is why I have enthusiastically taken over my own treatment and just advise my local GP what I am doing and flick a set of graphs to him annually.

RE: Two week wait for DME to dispense my CPAP device - Terry - 07-30-2015

(07-30-2015, 07:20 PM)Dagmar Wrote: I was a bit shocked when my DME provider called and told me my authorization was all set but their next appointment for a setup (in their office) was two weeks out. I'm waiting for them because they only use the newest Resmed autoset machine. Has anyone else experienced these long wait times after authorization was set?

Tell them if it isn't ready by tomorrow afternoon, you're going to order it next day FedEx on the internet and won't be using them.

It's a huge procedure. They have to both open the box and press a button and turn a knob.

RE: Two week wait for DME to dispense my CPAP device - Mosquitobait - 07-30-2015

(07-30-2015, 08:28 PM)alby_c Wrote: This is a hobby horse of mine. They would not think of making a diagnosed Diabetic wait but Apnea - "no rush, its not serious"

Actually, they do make diabetics wait for training, depending on your clinic. On average, it seems to be 10 days to 2 weeks, sometimes longer to get insulin training if you are a Type 2 diabetic. On the other hand, a Type 1 diabetic gets trained within a day or two or earlier if hospitalized.

You have to wait that long because they don't schedule time with the PT until after you've been approved by Medicare or insurance. A training session is 1/2 hour to an hour depending on the client and requirements. My DMEs office deals with xpaps and oxygen. Then there's people like me that show up with a machine that doesn't work and they have to set up a loaner and all and you can see where I'm going? You are not the only client.

I couldnt wait, after 4 months of these stupid appointments, and went out and bought a used machine. I'm bummed that it didn't work out, but the seller refunded my money. I'm on the lookout for a backup machine now.

RE: Two week wait for DME to dispense my CPAP device - Mosquitobait - 07-30-2015

(07-30-2015, 08:38 PM)Terry Wrote: Tell them if it isn't ready by tomorrow afternoon, you're going to order it next day FedEx on the internet and won't be using them.

It's a huge procedure. They have to both open the box and press a button and turn a knob.

Not true. Most insurance contracts require that the DME provide training and information and often followup. If you want to skip all that, then you have to shell out for your own equipment at an online retailer. If you want someone else to pay for it, you have to jump the hoops. Service (even bad service) is why they get paid more for all this crap err cpap stuff. My loaner was free. Online retailers don't provide that service free (just as an example).