Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Anyone else bombarded with smells when taking your mask off? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Anyone else bombarded with smells when taking your mask off? (/Thread-Anyone-else-bombarded-with-smells-when-taking-your-mask-off)

Pages: 1 2 3

Anyone else bombarded with smells when taking your mask off? - Ailu - 08-05-2015

We live in the forest, and everytime I take my mask off after wearing it for a few hours, my nostrils are blasted with the thick, heavy, perfume of the forest. But within the first minute, the smell fades away. I never realized how much smell is around us, that we grow accustom to over time! (Also, because of allergies, my DME gave me little HEPA filters for my CPAP, maybe this also contributes to the prominence of the smells afterwards?)

Anyone else bombarded with smells right after taking your mask off?

RE: Anyone else bombarded with smells when taking your mask off? - MobileBasset - 08-05-2015

I guess your filters are working very well! I have experienced the smells after removing my mask but only rarely and not very strong. Usually it's the "processed air" smell from the AC blower.

RE: Anyone else bombarded with smells when taking your mask off? - OpalRose - 08-05-2015

I know this sounds crazy, but sometimes upon removing my mask, I smell flowers, like being in a funeral home.

My home has no flowers, no perfumes, no sprays in the air. I assume that our sense of smell may be elevated using nasal pillows. Thinking-about

RE: Anyone else bombarded with smells when taking your mask off? - SuperSleeper - 08-05-2015

(08-05-2015, 09:57 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I assume that our sense of smell may be elevated using nasal pillows. Thinking-about

Yes, and this is especially helpful when the dog expels gas right next to my CPAP machine.

One thing I do notice, is that if I go to my in-laws house for a night with my CPAP, then come back home, immediately upon turning my CPAP on, it smells like their house for the first few minutes. That filter must be catching stuff. It's not a bad smell, but just a different smell. Maybe my nasal pillows are helping me to smell it better, not quite sure.

Thinking-about

RE: Anyone else bombarded with smells when taking your mask off? - OpalRose - 08-05-2015

Thank God all I smell is flowers!
Another reason to change those filters more often.
Coffee

RE: Anyone else bombarded with smells when taking your mask off? - Kakkles - 08-05-2015

(08-05-2015, 08:17 AM)Ailu Wrote: We live in the forest, and everytime I take my mask off after wearing it for a few hours, my nostrils are blasted with the thick, heavy, perfume of the forest. But within the first minute, the smell fades away. I never realized how much smell is around us, that we grow accustom to over time! (Also, because of allergies, my DME gave me little HEPA filters for my CPAP, maybe this also contributes to the prominence of the smells afterwards?)

Anyone else bombarded with smells right after taking your mask off?

I too smell a sweet perfumey smell when i initially take off my mask. Luckily it is a nice smell,but it goes away within a minute...always wondered if that was odd or if others had same thing.

RE: Anyone else bombarded with smells when taking your mask off? - DariaVader - 08-05-2015

im jealous!

the only prominent smells I have associated with CPAP use are the ones that get shoved down my throat while I am wearing it eeew

RE: Anyone else bombarded with smells when taking your mask off? - archangle - 08-05-2015

A lot of people notice smelling things when taking their mask off. I'm not sure I understand why, but it seems to be a real effect. Some seem to be "olfactory" illusions like flower smell when there's nothing like that around. Nobody seems to have figured out how to stop it from happening.

I've also noticed how much odors from inside the house seem to collect in my CPAP machine and I smell them when I first turn the machine on.

RE: Anyone else bombarded with smells when taking your mask off? - quiescence at last - 08-06-2015

(08-05-2015, 09:57 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I know this sounds crazy, but sometimes upon removing my mask, I smell flowers, like being in a funeral home.

My home has no flowers, no perfumes, no sprays in the air. I assume that our sense of smell may be elevated using nasal pillows. Thinking-about

is that right after waking from the dream about a light at the end of the tunnel? do not go toward the light!

QAL

RE: Anyone else bombarded with smells when taking your mask off? - OpalRose - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 05:01 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: is that right after waking from the dream about a light at the end of the tunnel? do not go toward the light!

QAL

Ha. Ha, I've already thought of that. Wink