Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Machine has Died on me! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Machine has Died on me! (/Thread-Equipment-Machine-has-Died-on-me)

Machine has Died on me! - sgleaso1 - 08-10-2015

I've been using my Air Sense 10 since March. The nurses recommended I purchase a surge protector as well. I did.
I've been in England since June 29th studying, and after moving out of the dorm today and into a hotel for my last week I have plugged in my machine only to find it fail on the first night.
It was on and working, then it shut off and refused to blow air although the power was still on. In working with it I touched the pack connected to the power cord. It was way too hot, so I unplugged the whole machine. Now it won't turn on at all. The power button at the top blinks once when I plug it in (with my surge protector). Did I kill the machine, even after using a surge protector anyway?!

RE: Machine has Died on me! - OMyMyOHellYes - 08-10-2015

Should be under warranty. How much longer will you be in the UK? As soon as you can take it back to where you got it. Let them troubleshoot/fix/replace. Don't know what your other options are except maybe gambling and replacing the power supply out of pocket.

OMMOHY

RE: Machine has Died on me! - Zeddy - 08-10-2015

My fathers AS10 power supply failed after about 2 months use.
He also reported that it got very hot.
ResMed have great warranties and they should fix it for you fast.
If you need a quick fix try and buy a spare power supply.

The surge protector would have done no harm.

Good Luck

RE: Machine has Died on me! - trish6hundred - 08-10-2015

Hi sgleaso1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The surge protector shouldn't have caused any problem.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you with getting your machine working again.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: Machine has Died on me! - GingerMan512 - 08-10-2015

Isn't ResMed based in the UK? I'd give them a call to see if they can help. Worst they can do is say no.

RE: Machine has Died on me! - archangle - 08-10-2015

(08-10-2015, 01:01 AM)sgleaso1 Wrote: I've been using my Air Sense 10 since March. The nurses recommended I purchase a surge protector as well. I did.
I've been in England since June 29th studying, and after moving out of the dorm today and into a hotel for my last week I have plugged in my machine only to find it fail on the first night.
It was on and working, then it shut off and refused to blow air although the power was still on. In working with it I touched the pack connected to the power cord. It was way too hot, so I unplugged the whole machine. Now it won't turn on at all. The power button at the top blinks once when I plug it in (with my surge protector). Did I kill the machine, even after using a surge protector anyway?!

The AirSense 10 power supply is designed for "world wide" voltage, if you're worried about the English voltages.

Your failure probably had nothing to do with the surge protector. Surge protectors only help if there's some sort of surge on the power line. Was there a lightning storm or some sort of electrical disturbance before your had the failure? Does your surge protector have a "protected" light on in and has it gone out? Have you tried using it without the surge protector?

One thing that might cause a failure is if your power supply gets covered by a blanket or otherwise has airflow blocked, causing it to overheat.

I suspect the failure was simply the inherent failure rate of the power supply.

RE: Machine has Died on me! - PoolQ - 08-10-2015

I just did a quick search "resmed uk" and they have offices in the UK listing phone numbers and addresses