Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] I'm a newbie - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] I'm a newbie (/Thread-CPAP-I-m-a-newbie)

Pages: 1 2

I'm a newbie - Jacktion4 - 08-12-2015

G'day everyone

After much recommending (pushing) from my partner I had a sleep study done. It showed I have severe apnea. Great!

That was back in February.

While researching for treatment I found a thing called Snorex which is a mouth guard. It will stop all snoring and apnea they said. It's awesome they said. It isn't. What a waste of time and money.

So here we are 6 months later and I've just bought my first CPAP machine. It's an ResMed Airsense 10 Fixed machine. My pressure is 5. I thought that seemed quite low considering my diagnosis of being severe so tonight will be interesting. I also have chosen the ResMed Air Fit P10 nasal pillow mask. It seems comfy. Hopefully will do the job.

The software program I've been recommended to use is the MyAir program. It wasn't an option in the drop down list so I hope that doesn't mean it's not a good program.

Anyway, I'm crapping bricks at the moment and I feel very lost. Hopefully I get used to it quick.

Just wanted to say g'day in advance and thanks to all who have contributed so far to this forum to help me decide on the purchases I have made today.

Have a great day.

JackDont-know

RE: I'm a newbie - LexTac - 08-12-2015

Welcome

You will get used to your new CPAP machine in no time. Good luck.

Sleep-well

RE: I'm a newbie - trish6hundred - 08-12-2015

Hi Jacktion4,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
To me, the P10 is a very comfortable mask but, masks are so individual; what I might like, you might not like it at all.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: I'm a newbie - Papit - 08-13-2015

(08-12-2015, 08:16 PM)Jacktion4 Wrote: G'day everyone

After much recommending (pushing) from my partner I had a sleep study done. It showed I have severe apnea. Great!

While researching for treatment I found a thing called Snorex which is a mouth guard. It will stop all snoring and apnea they said. It's awesome they said. It isn't. What a waste of time and money.

So here we are 6 months later and I've just bought my first CPAP machine. It's an ResMed Airsense 10 Fixed machine. My pressure is 5. I thought that seemed quite low considering my diagnosis of being severe so tonight will be interesting. I also have chosen the ResMed Air Fit P10 nasal pillow mask. It seems comfy. Hopefully will do the job.

The software program I've been recommended to use is the MyAir program. It wasn't an option in the drop down list so I hope that doesn't mean it's not a good program.

Anyway, I'm crapping bricks at the moment and I feel very lost. Hopefully I get used to it quick.

Just wanted to say g'day in advance and thanks to all who have contributed so far to this forum to help me decide on the purchases I have made today.

Have a great day.

Jack:dont-know:

Hey Jacktion4. What's the rest of the model name of your machine after Airsense 10? I don't think "Fixed" is a model name, but rather the type of pressure it produces for you. I use the P10 mask. It's very light and make the least exhalation noise against the sheets of any make there is so far as I know. That was a good pick. Once we find out the model machine you're using, we might be able to recommend using SleepyHead software. It easy to use and most people who try it stay with it. It has great graphs and is well developed.

Your doc determined the pressure for you to use based on the Titration test you took. Don't mess with it without first discussing it with him. Best of luck. --Papit

RE: I'm a newbie - Jacktion4 - 08-13-2015

(08-13-2015, 12:46 AM)Papit Wrote:

Have a great day.

JackDont-know

Hey Jacktion4. What's the rest of the model name of your machine after Airsense 10? I don't think "Fixed" is a model name, but rather the type of pressure it produces for you. I use the P10 mask. It's very light and make the least exhalation noise against the sheets of any make there is so far as I know. That was a good pick. Once we find out the model machine you're using, we might be able to recommend using SleepyHead software. It easy to use and most people who try it stay with it. It has great graphs and is well developed.

Your doc determined the pressure for you to use based on the Titration test you took. Don't mess with it without first discussing it with him. Best of luck. --Papit

Hey mate. It is the ELITE model. Airsense 10 Elite. I'll stick with the 5 and see how it goes. I have a bad case of the flu at the moment so am unsure if I should start it tonight or not. It might help.
(08-12-2015, 09:33 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Jacktion4,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
To me, the P10 is a very comfortable mask but, masks are so individual; what I might like, you might not like it at all.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

Thank so much, Trish.

(08-12-2015, 08:36 PM)LexTac Wrote: Welcome

You will get used to your new CPAP machine in no time. Good luck.

Sleep-well

Thanks Lex Smile

RE: I'm a newbie - Shastzi - 08-13-2015

Welcome

Hi Jackthon4!

colds & flu are the bane of our existence.
If your nose is stopped up you can't very well blow air into it.
(Been there done that. Running CPAP with a cold will always be misrable)
See if your DME can provide a full face mask for you. You can always use it next cold
or you may prefer it (if you're a mouth breather like me!)

Later on you might want to get the SleepyHead software going so you can actually SEE
how well your therapy is (or isn't) working!

Hang in there!

Wink
Smile

RE: I'm a newbie - AshSF - 08-13-2015

Have a great day.

JackDont-know

The air pressure needed has no correlation to the severity of apnea. I had a severe case but my pressure requirement is modest. Some people have moderate apnea but pressure in high teens. So don't worry about the low pressure.

Resmed P10 is the best mask there is, if it is working for you. Welcome to the P10 cult Smile

I would encourage you to install sleepyhead software and keep track of your metrics on a weekly basis.

RE: I'm a newbie - ginzo - 08-13-2015

Welcome from one Newb to another!! (new to forum), CPAP user since 2007.

RE: I'm a newbie - Jacktion4 - 08-13-2015

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome. Waiting for the flu to go before starting. I can't breathe through my nose at the moment so no point starting right?

Is that the usual, that if you do have a blocked nose that you don't bother using your CPAP that night?

RE: I'm a newbie - Cali Lecat - 08-14-2015

(08-13-2015, 11:55 PM)Jacktion4 Wrote: Is that the usual, that if you do have a blocked nose that you don't bother using your CPAP that night?

I don't know what other people do, but I use my CPAP (which is on APAP mode) and nasal pillows mask every night, including when i have a blocked nose. I may not have been able to early in using CPAP, but now, I find that the air pressure helps me.

Have you tried unblocking your nose with things like salt water or nasal sprays? It is best to use your CPAP every night if you can.

Some people say they keep a nasal or full face mask on hand for the times they have nasal congestion but I don't. I have noticed that I have a lot less nasal congestion now after using CPAP for more than five years.

I hope you feel better soon.