Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
keeping mouth shut without FFM or Chinstrap - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: keeping mouth shut without FFM or Chinstrap (/Thread-keeping-mouth-shut-without-FFM-or-Chinstrap)

Pages: 1 2

keeping mouth shut without FFM or Chinstrap - DariaVader - 08-17-2015

[Image: 71peXPeH6YL._SX522_.jpg]

large online retailer Wrote:Largest pacifier made by NUK and has been nick named the NUK 5 as a result. This pacifier can be comfortably sucked by an adult with tremendous benefit. Recent studies have also shown that pacifier use
among adults may cut down or completely eliminate snoring. This enables those suffering from snoring to enjoy sound sleep themselves and make sure that their family members get their rest at night as well. It uses the same principle as swallowing. When a subject sucks on the pacifier, the tongue rests behind teeth. When the tongue remains motionless, soft palate no longer vibrates and consequently it prevents sound from occurring in the first place. In addition, while holding the pacifier in his mouth, the person is not inclined to open his mouth. Reportedly they manage to cure 7 out of 10 people from snoring. In an unfamiliar playroom, babies accompanied by their pacifier evidenced more play and demonstrated less distress than did babies without them. Pacifiers should be considered to be attachment objects, similar to other security objects like blankets. They are excellent at soothing and calming even adults. The widespread occurrence of attachments to pacifiers as well as their importance as security objects should reassure parents that they are a normal part of development for a majority of babies.

RE: keeping mouth shut without FFM or Chinstrap - Sleeprider - 08-17-2015

Speechless, but thanks for the LOL.

RE: keeping mouth shut without FFM or Chinstrap - DariaVader - 08-17-2015

I googled adult pacifier after teasing my son about needing a "binky" after an unsuccessful night trying a chinstrap! Only a mom would say such a heinous thing - right?

Imagine my surprise... there is not only such a product, but a largish number of aficionados as well - with a variety of reasons for wanting such a thing. :feeling_naive:

fact is, it would definitely keep the tongue block in place... it's funny, but really could be useful for some. IMO.

RE: keeping mouth shut without FFM or Chinstrap - OpalRose - 08-17-2015

At first glance, I had no idea what that was! Then I realized it's a giant "binky".
As funny as that looks, I can see how it would work.
If you make a sucking motion with a "pretend" pacifier, your tongue immediately goes to the roof of your mouth.
Seriously worth trying.

RE: keeping mouth shut without FFM or Chinstrap - me50 - 08-17-2015

oh no! not me! I can just see it now. there is an emergency or bad weather and we are told to evacuate and I get caught in the yard with a red and pea green pacifier in my mouth! nope....not me! :-0

RE: keeping mouth shut without FFM or Chinstrap - justMongo - 08-17-2015

(08-17-2015, 08:00 PM)me50 Wrote: oh no! not me! I can just see it now. there is an emergency or bad weather and we are told to evacuate and I get caught in the yard with a red and green pacifier in my mouth! nope....not me! :-0

You just know a photo will show up on social media.

RE: keeping mouth shut without FFM or Chinstrap - Gabby - 08-18-2015

Thanks DariaVader, I am off out to find the biggest Binky I can! If it means not having to wear another chinstrap again I will give it a go.
Thanks for the information and the laugh.

RE: keeping mouth shut without FFM or Chinstrap - Zeddy - 08-18-2015

NO!

My wife got used to me wearing FFM, that will be just too much.

RE: keeping mouth shut without FFM or Chinstrap - lmoretti - 08-18-2015

Tempting... I'm not really liking the chinstrap, but it seems to work if a bit uncomfortable. Would probably get a really weird look from my wife (but probably not the weirdest she's ever given me)

RE: keeping mouth shut without FFM or Chinstrap - Sleeprider - 08-18-2015

Truth is, many adult sleep apnea appliances work the same way. I think there is are tongue retainers and all manner of things people try to use...why not a binky? Glad I don't need to go there. At least I don't have to live with the guilt of taking this guy's binky.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_r7ZbS2m_pns-HZ4EabH...CZSZATkj6h]