Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Mouth Breathing Information Wanted - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Mouth Breathing Information Wanted (/Thread-Mouth-Breathing-Information-Wanted)

Mouth Breathing Information Wanted - pssnn - 05-20-2012

Hello Folks,

The purpose of this thread is to collect information on methods used by forum members to control mouth breathing/leaking that have worked for them.

Please do not discuss the method itself except to describe the method. A separate thread can be started if desired to discuss the particular methods in detail.

The information gathered here will be used to help generate a future Wiki article on Mouth Breathing/Leaking as it relates to xPAP therapy.

Thanks

RE: Mouth Breathing Information Wanted - Sleepster - 05-20-2012

For patients using a nasal or pillows mask, the first remedy to try is a chin strap.

Other things that can help keep the nasal airway open are helpful, too. Sinus rinses, nasal sprays, decongestants, and antihistamines are all things that can help keep your nasal passages clear.

RE: Mouth Breathing Information Wanted - zimlich - 05-20-2012

Reply not helpful- sorry- deleted by zimlich.

RE: Mouth Breathing Information Wanted - PaulaO2 - 05-20-2012

What he wants is methods used, not a discussion of those methods. If I have a method to share, of course I have to discuss it to share it. But if, for example, I wanted to discuss Zonk's method, he would need to do so in another thread.

I would have thought common sense would have made that clear but I guess not.

RE: Mouth Breathing Information Wanted - zonk - 05-20-2012

I use the chinstrap method and still practicing the tongue method

RE: Mouth Breathing Information Wanted - JudgeMental - 05-20-2012

Why not then just have another "too many to mention" polls, with no added thread for discussion.

RE: Mouth Breathing Information Wanted - Dawei - 05-20-2012

After unsuccessfully trying the tongue method plus chin strap for an extended period, the solution I found was switching to Respironics' FitLife complete face mask.

RE: Mouth Breathing Information Wanted - pssnn - 05-20-2012

Folks, If you want to discuss the method it is fine. What I would like to collect is basic information on methods that the members have used that worked for them. There is no problem if you would like to elaborate on your method. I apologize if the what I originally asked was too restrictive.

Thank you for your input and for participating. Smile Thanks

RE: Mouth Breathing Information Wanted - b360155 - 05-20-2012

I went the full face mask route. I started with the Swift FX and experienced mouth leaks during the night, even when coupled with a chin strap. I really only wanted to use one contraption if possible and went for the least obtrusive ffm's possible. I started with the Resmed Mirage Liberty hybrid mask but had issues getting the nasal pillows to seal throughout the night. Next was the Quattro FX and that has been my mask of choice for about 7 months now. I've tried a couple others, but have settled on the Quattro FX as the best mask for me as I'm able to get zero or close to zero leaks almost every night now. Banana Covers the nose and mouth, but no forehead support bar.

RE: Mouth Breathing Information Wanted - PollCat - 05-20-2012

Regular polyp removal from the nasal passages thus restoring my ability to breathe through my nose and the Optilife nasal pillow mask with built in chin strap.