Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
feels like I am suffocating - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: feels like I am suffocating (/Thread-feels-like-I-am-suffocating)

feels like I am suffocating - lolewis - 08-27-2015

I have been using the Airfit P10 mask for about a month now and even though I can generally only keep it on for 2 - 3 hours, for the past week, I have been waking up after an hour feeling like I am suffocating. I did a search on this website to see if anyone else had this problem and most times, it was recommended to change the ramp. I turned it off with no relief. I have taken the mask and tubing and washed and dried it with also no change. I turned the humidity down too. Any other suggestions?

RE: feels like I am suffocating - OpalRose - 08-27-2015

Yes, fill out your profile, even if you are just trialing a machine. You can always change it later.

List the machine make and model, are you using CPAP or APAP?
What pressure is your machine set on?

If you have turned the ramp off and that didn't help, then it is likely that your pressure is set too low.

We have no way of knowing or helping you unless you can give us some information.

You can also download sleepyhead software, then we would be able to see your data.

RE: feels like I am suffocating - Sleeprider - 08-27-2015

Try using the next size larger nasal pillow. The sense of air restriction when using too small of a size is fairly common with the Airfit P10.

Do fill in a profile so if there are other clues, we can help.

RE: feels like I am suffocating - PoolQ - 08-27-2015

Yep I started out like you are now, no expert here and only under 60 days so YMMV

This is where I am at in this quest, just for an idea of things that can be changed:
1. Humidity off-I tried 4,5,6,3,2,1 to get to off
2. water tank dry-I tried with humidity off and just cool water in the tank and discovered that dry was best for now
3.ramp auto-I am sensitive to exhaling into pressure so I keep it low until I am asleep
4.pre-ramp pressure of 6- the default of 4 was way to low for me and I felt like I was not getting enough air. this was easy just set it and try it for 30-60 seconds, you will know.
5.ERP 3-this is in the clinicians menu and gives a lower pressure when I exhale

my therapy pressure is 8-14, FYI

the ramp has two parts: ramp time AND what pressure to set before the ramp starts.

Not getting enough air for me was one of several things: air too warm, humidity too high, pre-ramp of 4 being too low.

With knowing your settings we can comment on what might be effecting you, remember that for some their settings will be the exact opposite of mine. They need to be YOUR settings not someone else's.

RE: feels like I am suffocating - lolewis - 08-28-2015

Thanks for all the comments. Yes, I have to fill in all my information/settings. I finally did get a hold of my respiratory therapist who thinks I need a higher pressure. Will try that and if it doesn't work, will certainly try the other suggestions. Glad you are all here to help the newbies!

RE: feels like I am suffocating - car54 - 08-28-2015

Depending upon what machine you have it might be able to offer pressure relief when you exhale. My PR system One has 3 different settings for that. I felt like I was suffocating also until I set the relief to max on my machine.

Brad

RE: feels like I am suffocating - vsheline - 08-29-2015

Hi lolewis,

At upper right of the webpage is a "My Profile" link we can use to find where we edit our profile.