Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Is it possible to use Regular SD card Reader? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Is it possible to use Regular SD card Reader? (/Thread-Is-it-possible-to-use-Regular-SD-card-Reader)

Pages: 1 2

Is it possible to use Regular SD card Reader? - User360 - 08-28-2015

Is it possible to use a regular SD card reader on the PC to read the data on the card? or do I have to buy the card reader from ResMed?Thinking-about
Any help would be appreciated.

RE: Is it possible to use Regular SD card Reader? - Sleeprider - 08-28-2015

Any SD reader will work, even the cheap USB adapters. If you have Windows 8.1 be sure to lock the card to prevent files from being written. It doesn't seem to bother the Philips units, but the Resmeds don't like the index files.

RE: Is it possible to use Regular SD card Reader? - User360 - 08-28-2015

(08-28-2015, 08:37 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Any SD reader will work, even the cheap USB adapters. If you have Windows 8.1 be sure to lock the card to prevent files from being written. It doesn't seem to bother the Philips units, but the Resmeds don't like the index files.

Ok thanks, Will try it out...

I just hope it does not screw the card....

RE: Is it possible to use Regular SD card Reader? - trish6hundred - 08-28-2015

Hi User360,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy, and hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: Is it possible to use Regular SD card Reader? - sonicboom - 08-28-2015

You should be fine. I have a cheap USB powered SD card reader reading a ResMed data card and all is well. Be sure to write protect it by sliding the lock on the side down as Sleeprider sagely advised.

RE: Is it possible to use Regular SD card Reader? - User360 - 08-28-2015

Yep, tried it out today and all is fine. Thanks for your help!...

RE: Is it possible to use Regular SD card Reader? - cate1898 - 08-29-2015

As this is one of the machines I am considering, wondering if you have to buy the ResMed SD card, or can any SD card with a lock switch on side work? Also on their ResMed SD cards, what is the capacity? 2GB, 4GB, etc?

RE: Is it possible to use Regular SD card Reader? - Sleeprider - 08-29-2015

There is no reason to buy a Resmed SD card any more than you should buy Honda brand motor oil. Sure it's good, but it's the same product that you can get for half the price.

RE: Is it possible to use Regular SD card Reader? - eseedhouse - 08-29-2015

Resmed have a web page where they claim that only their SD cards can be used safely, that the machine was approved only with these cards and that using another card may cause the sky to fall and your home to burn down, or something like that.

I tried two of their cards and they both failed within a month. So I simply started using one of the micro-SD cards I had to hand with an adaptor (they all come with adaptors as far as I can tell) and never had any problems. Now I am using a WIFI enabled SD card and FlashPap free software so I can read the data over WIFI every morning and the card never leaves the machine.

RE: Is it possible to use Regular SD card Reader? - SleepyWabbit - 08-29-2015

(08-28-2015, 03:22 PM)User360 Wrote: Ok thanks, Will try it out...

I just hope it does not screw the card....

Just be careful ejecting and inserting the SD card in your machine. I've seen a couple of stories where the circuit board has broken.

(08-29-2015, 12:01 PM)cate1898 Wrote: As this is one of the machines I am considering, wondering if you have to buy the ResMed SD card, or can any SD card with a lock switch on side work? Also on their ResMed SD cards, what is the capacity? 2GB, 4GB, etc?

I don't know about the ResMed SD card, but the one that came with my PRS1 is a PNY 2GB. You shouldn't need anything to big for these.