Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Does your provider unbundle your mask kit? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Does your provider unbundle your mask kit? (/Thread-Equipment-Does-your-provider-unbundle-your-mask-kit)

Pages: 1 2

Does your provider unbundle your mask kit? - vpescado - 09-08-2015

So something that I noticed when I re-upped my supplies for my CPAP:

My mask comes as a kit with a small, medium, and large nose-pillow. My insurance allows me 6 nose pillows per 3 months, so I get another five along with it.

I realize that my supplier is removing the small and large pillows from the kit (obviously so they can sell them to someone else).

But this seems wrong as:
1) When I got my kit the first time, they gave me all three in the kit as well as the 5 extras .
2) They are invoicing my insurance company (and me) for the full kit based on the manufacturer's item number.

Like I said, this seems wrong to me (and possibly fraudulent).

When I asked my sales rep, she claims that they are required to remove the small and large pillows as otherwise I would be getting 8 pillows and my insurance wouldn't allowed that (but again, they left them in the first time, and they are still invoicing for the full kit).

Is this a standard practice? Should I switch providers? Should I contact my insurer?

RE: Does your provider unbundle your mask kit? - trish6hundred - 09-08-2015

Hi vpescado,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might call your insurer and tell them what is going on. This happens quite a bit where the DME takes out some of the stuff in the mask kits.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more suggestions.

RE: Does your provider unbundle your mask kit? - Mosquitobait - 09-08-2015

Depends on your insurance company billing. For Medicare, the different parts of the mask are billed separately even if they come together in a kit. So, a kit for a nasal pillow mask AND your monthly nasal pillows are billed as:
A7033 Nasal Pillows
A7034 Nasal Interface
A7035 Headgear
A7029 Replacement Nasal Pillows (2 per month)

They may only provide the 3 sizes for when you buy the mask for the first time in order to determine your correct size and they eat less profit for it. Yes, some provide all 3 sizes in every kit, but I honestly don't think that is the norm.

So, contact your insurance company and ask them how this works for what they have contracted for. I pay 20% of everything, so I made sure I understood how this stuff works for Medicare. It may work differently if you have an HMO as well. Remember, you only pay based on what the allowed amount is, not what is billed.

RE: Does your provider unbundle your mask kit? - OpalRose - 09-08-2015

vpescado,
I believe it depends on your insurance company and your DME or supplier.
In my case, I've had 3 "complete" mask sets. Each set included all three size pillows.
At one point I asked my DME if they could exchange one of the large sizes for a small and they told me that they would not be allowed to do that mostly for hygiene purposes. They are not allowed to remove any mask parts, or exchange. So I end up with two pillows that I can't use.

I've heard folk on this forum saying that their DME has exchanged pillows sizes, but I really don't know if there is a standard policy.

RE: Does your provider unbundle your mask kit? - zonk - 09-08-2015

(09-08-2015, 01:47 PM)vpescado Wrote: I realize that my supplier is removing the small and large pillows from the kit (obviously so they can sell them to someone else).
I believe, its illegal to tamper with sealed items
Once the sealed item been tampered with, no longer new, get contaminated and unhygienic

RE: Does your provider unbundle your mask kit? - PaulaO2 - 09-08-2015

Take a look at your bill. If the item number is the same as what is on the box itself, then that is insurance fraud. If, however, it is all itemized (mask, pillows, headgear, etc), then all is well. They can usually get more money by piecing it out rather than selling it whole anyway.

RE: Does your provider unbundle your mask kit? - vpescado - 09-09-2015

(09-08-2015, 09:09 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Take a look at your bill. If the item number is the same as what is on the box itself, then that is insurance fraud.

They are definitely invoicing it as the part number for the full kit.

Any advice on how to handle it? Gentle hints to the DME provider isn't doing the trick.

RE: Does your provider unbundle your mask kit? - Mosquitobait - 09-09-2015

If it is bothersome to you, switch providers. Not worth the angst.

RE: Does your provider unbundle your mask kit? - parkerdt - 09-09-2015

My DME just shipped me 5 replacement cushions, and a new headgear and frame, in a sealed package, with you guessed it - ONE cusion of the correct size. Gotta believe they get them made like this since it was clearly a factory seal. At 3 months, I was entitled to a frame and headgear, and cushions, per my insurance. Be interesting to see at 6 months, when I am entitled to a complete mask if I get cushions in sizes I cannot use.

I've stopped trying to figure this mess out, and just go with the flow, as long as I have what I need. So far, so good, on that score. Carecentrix for me, since I am on CIGNA. As of Jan 1 looks like we will be with Apria, however, as CIGNA is being bought by Anthem Blue Cross.

RE: Does your provider unbundle your mask kit? - ginzo - 09-13-2015

(09-09-2015, 07:52 PM)parkerdt Wrote: My DME just shipped me 5 replacement cushions, and a new headgear and frame, in a sealed package, with you guessed it - ONE cusion of the correct size. Gotta believe they get them made like this since it was clearly a factory seal. At 3 months, I was entitled to a frame and headgear, and cushions, per my insurance. Be interesting to see at 6 months, when I am entitled to a complete mask if I get cushions in sizes I cannot use.

I've stopped trying to figure this mess out, and just go with the flow, as long as I have what I need. So far, so good, on that score. Carecentrix for me, since I am on CIGNA. As of Jan 1 looks like we will be with Apria, however, as CIGNA is being bought by Anthem Blue Cross.

^^^THIS^^^