Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
2 months of CPAP and feel the same - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: 2 months of CPAP and feel the same (/Thread-2-months-of-CPAP-and-feel-the-same)

2 months of CPAP and feel the same - YTN3rd - 09-16-2015

Hey,
I have been using a CPAP machine for 2 months now.. maybe even 3, and I don't feel any less tired or more productive during the day. My AHI has come down from 120 to about 7 or so which is great and all, but I expected to feel a bit bitter than I do.

Is this normal?

RE: 2 months of CPAP and feel the same - OMyMyOHellYes - 09-16-2015

From apnea standpoint, good job on getting down to 7, but not there yet. Machine? Software? Pressure range? Maxing out the pressure often?

From the not feelin' it standpoint, was sleep apnea the only issue you had? Often lots more wheels in motion than just apnea that causes somebody to feel bad. Don't quit even if you don't feel as good as you expected. Can still be doing well on (and need) CPAP and feel crappy all the time.

Too little to go on for folks to reasonably contribute.

OMMOHY

RE: 2 months of CPAP and feel the same - kaiasgram - 09-16-2015

(09-16-2015, 03:36 AM)YTN3rd Wrote: Hey,
I have been using a CPAP machine for 2 months now.. maybe even 3, and I don't feel any less tired or more productive during the day. My AHI has come down from 120 to about 7 or so which is great and all, but I expected to feel a bit bitter than I do.

Is this normal?

Effective treatment is AHI < 5. And many people don't feel better until they're closer to 1 or 2. So at 7 I'm not surprised to hear that you're not feeling better. Your treatment is not yet effective.

Assuming you have a full data machine, go ahead and post some SleepyHead screenshots so we can see what's going on while you sleep. Then we can give you more substantive feedback.

RE: 2 months of CPAP and feel the same - wxmcpo - 09-16-2015

I'm right there with you. I have been on Bipap since 20 Apr of this year and I really don't feel any better. I wish I could get my AHI down to 1 or below, but just can't. My typical AHI is anywhere from 6-9 so that probably isn't helping me much. Of course the AHI reading is an average so throughout the night you could be much higher AHIs, I know looking at my sleepyhead data I am. That could also be a contributing factor to therapy not really working yet for us.

RE: 2 months of CPAP and feel the same - trish6hundred - 09-16-2015

Hi YTN3rd,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much hsuccess to you with your CPAP therapy and getting your AHI to 5, preferably below.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: 2 months of CPAP and feel the same - eseedhouse - 09-16-2015

An AHI of under 10 is still better than one at thirty.

My AHI went down to less than one as soon as I started on APAP, but I still didn't feel better, in fact I was deteriorating. Turned out that my O2 levels were still going down below 80% for much of the night in spite of the APAP treatment.

That turned around when I started on added oxygen treatment. Still what I first noticed was not so much a great big miracle but rather more along the lines of not going downhill anymore. It took three or four months until I finally started really noticing the improvement. Now after most of a year I wouldn't want to go back to where I was.

So you need to talk to your doctor and need to look for other factors that may be delaying your progress. Not everyone is helped by CPAP or APAP alone.