Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Pressure(s) suggestions please.. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Pressure(s) suggestions please.. (/Thread-Pressure-s-suggestions-please)

Pages: 1 2

Pressure(s) suggestions please.. - PositiveMe123 - 09-16-2015

I have a Resmed Vpap Auto and use the Airfit P10. Currently, my pressure is 6/10. I'm not using SH right now. Lately, I've been waking up during the night (not usual for me), and I'm pretty sure I wake up because of leaks/low pressure(s). I'm feeling a little starved for air.
I have OSA, no centrals.

Would someone tell me if raising the pressure is a good idea, and if it is, how much I should raise it. I'm thinking along the lines of 7/11, but I'm concerned this may not be the correct pressure(s).

Thanks for any advice.

Oops.. didn't mean to post in OT, sorry. I really am tired. Rolleyes

RE: Pressure(s) suggestions please.. - DeepBreathing - 09-16-2015

(09-16-2015, 10:47 PM)PositiveMe123 Wrote: Oops.. didn't mean to post in OT, sorry. I really am tired. Rolleyes

Don't worry - I moved it for you... I know the feeling of being really tired.

RE: Pressure(s) suggestions please.. - zonk - 09-17-2015

(09-16-2015, 10:47 PM)PositiveMe123 Wrote: I'm feeling a little starved for air.
I have OSA, no centrals.
Starved for air feeling might from loss of therapy air escaping through the mouth or mask, which can decrease the effectiveness of the therapy

RE: Pressure(s) suggestions please.. - PositiveMe123 - 09-17-2015

(09-17-2015, 12:21 AM)zonk Wrote:
(09-16-2015, 10:47 PM)PositiveMe123 Wrote: I'm feeling a little starved for air.
I have OSA, no centrals.
Starved for air feeling might from loss of therapy air escaping through the mouth or mask, which can decrease the effectiveness of the therapy

Yes, thanks.. I agree. Definitely escaping through my mouth. Do you think raising to 7/11 is reasonable? I don't think I'll be doing any harm and it just might be enough.

*Thank you to the person who moved this thread.

RE: Pressure(s) suggestions please.. - zonk - 09-17-2015

(09-17-2015, 12:54 AM)PositiveMe123 Wrote: Yes, thanks.. I agree. Definitely escaping through my mouth. Do you think raising to 7/11 is reasonable? I don't think I'll be doing any harm and it just might be enough.
I assume you're trying to increase both EPAP and IPAP by 1 and keeping pressure support at 4. Sound reasonable to me but I'm not the one who can tell you stuff like that, maybe "vsheline" or someone else using this kind of machine

The thing is, you'll still need to sort out the leaks. Maybe chinstrap or full face mask perhaps, might helps prevent air escaping and go where suppose to go. Avoid supine position may also helps decrease OSA events

RE: Pressure(s) suggestions please.. - Sleeprider - 09-17-2015

Since you're using a VPAP Auto, I think you can allow the auto algorithm to increase pressure as needed. All you need to do is set Mode to VAuto, the minimum EPAP at your current level of 6.0, but allow max IPAP to go up to...let's say 14. The machine should maintain a 4.0 PS and automatically respond to your needs.

If you're not using the auto algorithm, then 7/11 sounds fine. It sounds to me like you have the VPAP Auto but are using a fixed pressure mode. Why? Do you have the clinical manual?

RE: Pressure(s) suggestions please.. - justMongo - 09-17-2015

If you're going to bump up the window of permissible pressure, do so in smaller increments.
I use the S9 VPAP Auto. In Auto mode, you set 3 pressures, IPAPmax, EPAPmin and PS.
The machine maintains the relationship IPAP = EPAP + PS and will adjust IPAP and EPAP within the limits set by IPAPmax and EPAPmin.

I move no more than 0.4 cm-H2O when I dial in a change.

The VPAP Auto will run in one of 3 modes: Straight CPAP, Fixed S mode bilevel, and Auto bilevel. Which mode are you in?

BTW -- moderator DeepBreathing moved your post from OT to the main forum; moderators can do that. You can always PM one if you need help. But, generally they will quickly realize a post needs to be moved; and do it.

RE: Pressure(s) suggestions please.. - PositiveMe123 - 09-17-2015

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Mongo -- I'm embarrassed to say that I don't have answers to your questions. Up until recently, I've relied on my sleep doctor. She always printed out the data from the SD card and we talked about the results, which were within the limits they look for. AHI under 2 and not enough leaks to be concerned about. I'm just tired of seeing her and want to handle this on my own.

Your questions have given me a place to start. I know how to get into the clinical set up and I plan to spend this weekend learning about it... and getting Sleepyhead.

Your questions were very helpful - thanks again!

RE: Pressure(s) suggestions please.. - PositiveMe123 - 09-19-2015

Mode is VAuto..

I made a few changes that I "think" will work for me.

Min Epap - I kept the same at 6.0
Max I - from 10.0 to 11.0
PS - from 2 to 3

I tried Max Ipap at 14.0 and PS at 4. I could hear myself breathing loudly and didn't like that.

Thoughts, please?

RE: Pressure(s) suggestions please.. - justMongo - 09-19-2015

A bilevel auto usually isn't used for pressure splits less than 4. That does not preclude using it.
If you are starving for air, bumping up EPAPmin may help. But do not change too many things too quickly.

I often give the example of adjusting the carburetor on a car (back when cars had carburetors) -- tweak too many things at once, and you'll lose the rabbit. (Old expression.)

What does sleephead show your pressure going up to? No need to change maxIPAP if you're not bumping up against the maxIPAP. Although the machine should not raise pressure without a good cause -- like flow limitation or obstructive apnea.

Perhaps you should keep a log of what you change.

and BTW -- you may wish to try a chinstrap with the P10.

Kindest Regards,

Mongo