Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Bathroom trips really mess up the CPAP - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Bathroom trips really mess up the CPAP (/Thread-Bathroom-trips-really-mess-up-the-CPAP)

Bathroom trips really mess up the CPAP - HughT - 09-21-2015

I'm very new to using CPAP and the ResMed S9. When I started off at night everything was OK but when I needed to get up to use the bathroom, I had a real problem with getting the machine to start over with the Ramp up.

1. Can anyone help me to understand how to reset the machine so I can just go back to sleep? I tried turning it off and then on but it continues where I left off. The air pressure is too strong at that point for me to fall asleep again. I've taken to just not wearing it at all.

2. Assuming I did that, the next morning I want the machine to just be reset so I can use it the following night but I still have the same problem.

The most I've been[/size] able to use it has been 3 hours and that just isn't good enough. Any help will be much appreciated.

RE: Bathroom trips really mess up the CPAP - Sleeprider - 09-21-2015

If your S9 is setup for ramp, then turning the machine off with the power knob, then back on should begin with ramp. Also, there is a ramp button next to the control knob that should start the ramp cycle. You can request a copy of the clinical manual from the forum http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressure/change-cpap-pressure-settings-adjusting-your-machine-with-a-clinician-setup-manual . That manual details the use of the controls and ramp function.

Admin edit: corrected broken link.

RE: Bathroom trips really mess up the CPAP - justMongo - 09-21-2015

Bad link above. The period became part of the hyperlink.

RE: Bathroom trips really mess up the CPAP - SuperSleeper - 09-21-2015

(09-21-2015, 03:00 PM)justMongo Wrote: Bad link above. The period became part of the hyperlink.

I edited his post and put a space between the link and the period. Should work now. Coffee

RE: Bathroom trips really mess up the CPAP - HughT - 09-21-2015

Thanks. I'll request the manual immediately.

RE: Bathroom trips really mess up the CPAP - trish6hundred - 09-21-2015

Hi HughT,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: Bathroom trips really mess up the CPAP - magicis - 09-22-2015

(09-21-2015, 01:33 PM)HughT Wrote: I'm very new to using CPAP and the ResMed S9. When I started off at night everything was OK but when I needed to get up to use the bathroom, I had a real problem with getting the machine to start over with the Ramp up.

1. Can anyone help me to understand how to reset the machine so I can just go back to sleep? I tried turning it off and then on but it continues where I left off. The air pressure is too strong at that point for me to fall asleep again. I've taken to just not wearing it at all.

2. Assuming I did that, the next morning I want the machine to just be reset so I can use it the following night but I still have the same problem.

The most I've been[/size] able to use it has been 3 hours and that just isn't good enough. Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi there, i'm a new user, but one way i got around problems like this, is i make sure to drink all the liquids i need, before 6 and absolutely before 7 at night, then i don't have to get up and pee......before i had that cut off point, i got up about every 2 hours....a real drag.....but now :roll eyes: at least i don't have to deal with that issue!
maybe that can help?
best wishes,

RE: Bathroom trips really mess up the CPAP - justMongo - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 02:02 AM)magicis Wrote: Hi there, i'm a new user, but one way i got around problems like this, is i make sure to drink all the liquids i need, before 6 and absolutely before 7 at night, then i don't have to get up and pee......before i had that cut off point, i got up about every 2 hours....a real drag.....but now :roll eyes: at least i don't have to deal with that issue!
maybe that can help?
best wishes,

Many people report reduced nocturia with CPAP use. Perhaps due to reduced spikes in blood pressure from being aroused by cessation of breathing.

I take furosemide (aka Lasix) B.I.D. --- and I take it well before bedtime.