Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Overnight Pulse Ox Test results, advice please - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Overnight Pulse Ox Test results, advice please (/Thread-Overnight-Pulse-Ox-Test-results-advice-please)

Overnight Pulse Ox Test results, advice please - Masta - 10-07-2015

My sleep/pulmonologist doctor ordered an overnight pulse ox test recently. I wore my CMS-50F both nights while wearing the overnight pulse ox equipment given to me by my doctor.

I dont know what the guidelines are for adding supplemental oxygen. My appt with my doc is in 2 days, I want to go to my appt prepared and ready with information on whats best for my health. I started on Cpap 3rd Aug 2015. The Overnight Pulse Ox tests were done wearing my cpap.

I want to post some images but it says I need to make 2 more posts before I can do that. Im hoping people reply so I can make two more posts, in order to put the images on this thread.

RE: Overnight Pulse Ox Test results, advice please - Crimson Nape - 10-07-2015

Based off your posts and images on another site, I don't see this to be alarming. Your AHI is 0.0 and you had a SpO2 desaturation for 10 seconds. What am I missing?

RE: Overnight Pulse Ox Test results, advice please - zonk - 10-07-2015

COPD and Oxygen Therapy Guidelines: When Is It Necessary?
http://www.webmd.com/lung/copd/guidelines-for-deciding-when-oxygen-is-needed

I don't think supplemental oxygen is necessary, if during CPAP titartion oxygen level was high in the nineties

RE: Overnight Pulse Ox Test results, advice please - VisitorX - 10-08-2015

I would be cautious about looking at oxygen requirements for COPD and using that as a basis for whether oxygen is adquate for sleep apnea. COPD is chronic, and people undergo physiologic changes in response to the chronic and more-or-less constant hypoxia that makes oxygen delivery to the tissues more efficient (changes in blood chemicals--2,3, DPG--and a rise in hematocrtit are the two that I know can occur in response to chronic hypoxia). I tend to doubt these would come into play for the intermittent hypoxia of OSA. I'm not saying you need oxygen, or that oxygen is even the right thing to use at all (fixing the underlying problem would be best, I assume), just that my sense is to not use COPD guidelines in making the decision.

RE: Overnight Pulse Ox Test results, advice please - Masta - 10-08-2015

My sleep/pulmonologist doctor ordered an overnight pulse ox test recently. I wore my CMS-50F both nights while wearing the overnight pulse ox equipment given to me by my doctor.

I dont know what the guidelines are for adding supplemental oxygen. My appt with my doc is in tomorrow, I want to go to my appt prepared and ready with information on whats best for my health. I started on Cpap 3rd Aug 2015. The Overnight Pulse Ox tests were done wearing my cpap at pressure 4-16.

Below is both nights of pulse ox testing reports along with my CMS-50F pulse ox to compare.

Do I need supplemental oxygen? I do drop to 84% some nights while wearing the CMS-50F, thats why the overnight pulse ox was ordered.

Doctor Ordered Pulse Ox Test Results on 11th Sept 2015 compared with test below in blue

[Image: Capture%2011th.PNG?dl=1]

Personally Owned CMS-50F Test Results on 11th Sept 2015

[Image: Capture%20pulse%20ox%2011th.PNG?dl=1]

Doctor Ordered Pulse Ox Test Results on 12th Sept 2015 compared with test below in red

[Image: Capture.PNG?dl=1]

Personally Owned CMS-50F Test Results on 12th Sept 2015

[Image: Capture%20pulse%20ox%2012th.PNG?dl=1]

Now the reason why a pulse ox test was done was because of this data I had a week before

76% on 7th Sept, 2015

[Image: Screenshot%202015-10-07%2018.11.37.png?dl=1]

85% on 6th Sept, 2015

[Image: Screenshot%202015-10-07%2018.09.15.png?dl=1]

84% on 1st Sept, 2015

[Image: Screenshot%202015-10-07%2018.07.00.png?dl=1]

85% on 3rd Sept, 2015

[Image: Screenshot%202015-10-07%2018.06.18.png?dl=1]

RE: Overnight Pulse Ox Test results, advice please - PaulaO2 - 10-08-2015

Any member, no matter what level, can post attachments, although they may be limited in size (as in kb, not pixels).

Attachments:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-How-to-Attachments

RE: Overnight Pulse Ox Test results, advice please - PaulaO2 - 10-08-2015

And no, you do not need supplemental oxygen. You are doing pretty good, actually. Typical overnight O2 readings should be around 92% for healthy persons although down to 90% is acceptable. Your lows are not much lower than that with the doctor's oximeter and only slightly lower with your own (that big sudden dip to 79% is a fault; probably the device came loose for a second or something). But the noteworthy part is they don't stay low. They are down there for just a few seconds. Which is the most important bit of information. Supplemental oxygen is necessary when the saturation rate goes low and stays there for prolonged time, usually due to other lung issues.

RE: Overnight Pulse Ox Test results, advice please - surferdude2 - 10-08-2015

It looks to me like you don't need a change in CPAP therapy or supplemental oxygen. You must realize that your own oximeter will not be accepted as being more accurate than the one your doctor furnished. Most folks here would love to have those readings!