Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Talk About Tearing Your Mask Off!!! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Talk About Tearing Your Mask Off!!! (/Thread-Talk-About-Tearing-Your-Mask-Off)

Talk About Tearing Your Mask Off!!! - PaytonA - 10-11-2015

I have been on VPAP for 5 years now and 3 or 4 years ago had one incident where I became fully awake as I was tearing the mask off my head. It only happened the once.

Just the other night, however, I became semi-awake having the feeling that I had something attached to my face that was blowing air at me. For some reason, I thought that the blower was integrally attached to my face. For some reason, it seemed important to me to get the blower turned off. I searched all over my mask and could not find any switch with which to turn it off. I did find a "thick cable" attached to the mask and started following it back to where it was plugged in to the wall. (You can probably see where this is going.) I was having to go too far along the "cable" and finally decided to just jerk it out of the wall socket using the "cable".

I finally became more awake and realized that I had pulled the whole machine off and onto the floor. I got the machine turned off and removed my mask and picked up my poor machine. Luckily my PAP sits on a surface that is only 4 inches above a carpeted floor. Also as luck would have it, this happened after 4 or 5 hours of sleep so the humidifier was nowhere close to being full and the machine just tipped. It did not even roll to vertical. I put everything back in it's proper place and masked up and turned it on. Everything has been working fine ever since.

I guess I do some weird things when I am half asleep but I never expected anything this weird. Thank goodness I did not fry my VPAP.

Please do not try this at home. It requires a certified "Lucky Idiot" to do this without severely damaging your CPAP.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: Talk About Tearing Your Mask Off!!! - OpalRose - 10-11-2015

Unsure Almost like a "night terror" dream, where you are semi awake.

RE: Talk About Tearing Your Mask Off!!! - trish6hundred - 10-11-2015

Hi PaytonA,
It’s a good thing your machine didn’t have far to fall and that you didn’t have a full chamber of water.
Hopefully, all is well.
WOW, you must have had one heck of a bad dream.

RE: Talk About Tearing Your Mask Off!!! - Jim Bronson - 10-11-2015

(10-11-2015, 06:37 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Unsure Almost like a "night terror" dream, where you are semi awake.
Been there; done that.

RE: Talk About Tearing Your Mask Off!!! - cate1898 - 10-11-2015

Ha ha cute story. Glad your machine is okay!!

RE: Talk About Tearing Your Mask Off!!! - DariaVader - 10-11-2015

u have been assimilated.....

RE: Talk About Tearing Your Mask Off!!! - foss - 10-11-2015

Early in my APAP saga, a long, long time ago (4 or 5 months), I pulled my A10 Autosense off the bedside table. Yikes! Fortunately, it wedged between the table and the bed. The only reason I knew was the lack of air blowing into my lungs. The A10 had shut down! I pondered that the water in the humidity tank had gone somewhere it shouldn't and shut the machine down. I hastily turned the light on removed the tank and dried everything off. After re-inserting the tank, everything was fine. Thank goodness. I can't sleep without my breathing machine! Wink

I could also tell you how I had a bad dream: thinking the alarm had gone off and even turning it off, waking up and getting ready for work only to find that it was only 0100..... But I will save that for another day.

fos

RE: Talk About Tearing Your Mask Off!!! - mikeh99 - 10-11-2015

Once I woke up and my mask was off and hanging up in it's usual daytime spot, machine still on. Go figure. Only happened once.

RE: Talk About Tearing Your Mask Off!!! - Shastzi - 10-12-2015

...glad the machine wasn't sitting on a shelf over your head!

=X.X=

RE: Talk About Tearing Your Mask Off!!! - DWaldman - 10-15-2015

Vivid dreams... hooked up to a hose? Sounds like my sleep study. Had major dreams about the hose and all, but in the end, I felt they were good dreams... Not evil, but just there.
I have had many bad nights, bad evil dreams, one reason I finally went for a sleep study. Still had some vivid dream during the study, but they were good. I was awakened at the end feeling the best I have in YEARS. We all have vivd dreams from time to time, I am not going to worry about them.