Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Diagnosis] Sleep Study - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Diagnosis] Sleep Study (/Thread-Diagnosis-Sleep-Study)

Sleep Study - plecomanrl - 10-17-2015

Hello, I am a newbie and I would like some advice. I had a thorough sleep study about 10 years ago. I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. How often should I get a sleep study and which type?

I'm asking because I have daytime fatigue as well as a bit of sleep deprivation. I am not dreaming, at least not remembering any. My pressure is 10 or 11 and this is my 3rd machine. Any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you!

RE: Sleep Study - Mike1953 - 10-17-2015

tell your doctor about your problems

RE: Sleep Study - zonk - 10-17-2015

Hello plecomanrl and welocme
Before a new machine, you'll need a new sleep study, so you get the right type machine
A new machine right now, might be a waste of money if the new sleep study shows you need a different type machine as the diagnoses has changed since your last sleep study 10 years ago

RE: Sleep Study - trish6hundred - 10-17-2015

Hi plecomanrl,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I’m curious, you say you have a Resmed M Series, don’t you mean Respironics M Series?
Hang in there for more answers to your questions about sleep studies. and much success to you.

RE: Sleep Study - cate1898 - 10-17-2015

Welcome plecomanri! You'll find lots of helpful knowledgeable people here that will help you.

Do you use your current machine regularly and yet your sleep apnea is worsening? That is what it sounds like. I think if it were me, I'd go back to my doctor and discuss this. Probably another sleep study would be a good idea.

RE: Sleep Study - OpalRose - 10-18-2015

Hi plecomanri,
10 years is a long time, and being that you are experiencing fatigue means your not sleeping well.

A sleep study seems to be in order. If you have insurance coverage, they may require a new study
before paying for a new machine.

Let us know what you decide.

RE: Sleep Study - drgrimes - 10-18-2015

A new sleep study would be the definitive answer to your question, BUT if you want a simple answer, get a recording oxymeter. I have one and i experiment with it from time to time just to prove to myself that cpap is really working for me. And it is.

RE: Sleep Study - Sleepster - 10-18-2015

(10-17-2015, 04:48 PM)plecomanrl Wrote: Hello, I am a newbie and I would like some advice. I had a thorough sleep study about 10 years ago. I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. How often should I get a sleep study and which type?

I'm asking because I have daytime fatigue as well as a bit of sleep deprivation. I am not dreaming, at least not remembering any. My pressure is 10 or 11 and this is my 3rd machine. Any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you!

A doctor would probably prescribe a new sleep study. That's the best option ignoring the costs involved.

A less expensive option would be to get a newer machine, one that will record data and allow you see on your computer what's happening as you sleep. You could try to buy one used on craigslist or go to a doctor and have one prescribed for you.