Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
How long did it take to notice the difference? 9.5 months for me - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: How long did it take to notice the difference? 9.5 months for me (/Thread-How-long-did-it-take-to-notice-the-difference-9-5-months-for-me)

Pages: 1 2

How long did it take to notice the difference? 9.5 months for me - novatom - 10-27-2015

People frequently ask on this board how long it took before a new CPAP user finally noticed the difference in how they feel. I started using my CPAP on Jan. 1 and I've had enough good mornings recently to notice a trend. I can confidentially state that it took me nine and a half months to finally notice a change in how I feel in the morning.

I hope it lasts.

RE: How long did it take to notice the difference? 9.5 months for me - AlanE - 10-27-2015

That's definitely a long time. Glad you are making progress now. Smile

RE: How long did it take to notice the difference? 9.5 months for me - trish6hundred - 10-27-2015

Hi novatom,
It took my mom a year before she got used to the CPAP machine, and I took to it like a duck takes to water.
It’s great to hear that you are finally noticeing some improvements, keep up the good work.

RE: How long did it take to notice the difference? 9.5 months for me - novatom - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 10:03 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi novatom,
It took my mom a year before she got used to the CPAP machine, and I took to it like a duck takes to water.
It’s great to hear that you are finally noticeing some improvements, keep up the good work.

Thanks Trish. Actually it only took me a couple days to get used to the mask, but I'm just now finally feeling the effects in the morning. It's still day to day, though. I have my good nights and bad, like everyone, but I'm at least a lot more hopeful now.

RE: How long did it take to notice the difference? 9.5 months for me - bwexler - 10-27-2015

I had no trouble getting used to the mask and machine the first day or 2.
I am at my 5 year anniversary this week and expect to notice the improvement any day now.

RE: How long did it take to notice the difference? 9.5 months for me - otrpu - 10-27-2015

From one extreme to another. I noticed a huge difference after the very first night on CPAP.

Cheers,
otrpu

RE: How long did it take to notice the difference? 9.5 months for me - OpalRose - 10-27-2015

I noticed a hugh difference the first night too, but I was in pretty bad shape prior to CPAP.
Adapted easily enough to apap and mask. I will say this, attitude is everything!

Now that isn't to say that I don't experience bad nights. There are many factors that come into play when trying to get a good nights sleep. For myself, I have arthritis in hips and shoulder, so I move around a lot and pain could keep me awake.

I had my 1 year anniversary using APAP on October 23rd. Smile
If I wake at all during the night, it is due to pain, but usually sleep straight through with AHI under <1, unless I find myself on my back a lot, then AHI is a little higher.

RE: How long did it take to notice the difference? 9.5 months for me - novatom - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 10:47 AM)otrpu Wrote: From one extreme to another. I noticed a huge difference after the very first night on CPAP.

Cheers,
otrpu

I experienced a major difference the night after my titration as well. I had been chasing that feeling ever since and I think I finally caught up with it. Smile

RE: How long did it take to notice the difference? 9.5 months for me - Visitor - 10-27-2015

Right away. But then it was up and down. Fighting leaks. They affect me greatly. As does blocked nose etc. It's up and down all the way it seems.

RE: How long did it take to notice the difference? 9.5 months for me - zonk - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 08:59 AM)novatom Wrote: I can confidentially state that it took me nine and a half months to finally notice a change in how I feel in the morning.

I hope it lasts.
Same with me, more or less - Rome wasn't built in a day

As we get older and wiser, always something goes wrong, if not one thing, its another Smile