Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Third night- major mask leak - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Third night- major mask leak (/Thread-Equipment-Third-night-major-mask-leak)

Third night- major mask leak - shadowfx78 - 10-31-2015

upon awakening this morning i recieved an email from MyAir saying i had a major mask leak and i had a sad smiley face on my machine. i have been cleaning my cushion everyday in warm soapy water and havent really messed with the fit since i got it. i looked through the videos on the resmed myair sleep library to try to figure out how to stop the leak but it didnt help much. any suggestions or tips would be highly appreciated.

RE: Third night- major mask leak - DariaVader - 10-31-2015

perhaps it is time for the cushion to be replaced... I am assuming that it formerly worked without excessive leaks. How long have you been using it?

RE: Third night- major mask leak - shadowfx78 - 10-31-2015

been using it for just three days

RE: Third night- major mask leak - DariaVader - 10-31-2015

In that case, either it needs to be adjusted differently, or it is not the right size/shape for your face. The mask is the hardest part of all this to get right! If you got it from a DME you should be able to return and get assistance. If you bought it from an online supplier, you may be able to exchange it, depending on whether the supplier allows for that or not...

Not to further the P10 cult or anything - but honestly some of the nicest things about the P10 mask are the ability for most people to wear it without excessive leaks and the fact that it has no complicated adjustments. If you are one of the people it *doesnt* fit, then I suppose those are the worst things, but if you are, it's happy land!

RE: Third night- major mask leak - pholynyk - 10-31-2015

I used an AirFit N10 for my first six months of xPAPing with no major leak problems that I recall, however it often leaked air towards my eyes. That might have been because I have dents where the nose pieces of my glasses have sat for the past decades.
First, did you get fitted for the proper cushion size? Resmed has a fitting guide you can print out at http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/products/Mask/airfit-n10/fitting-template/1017457r2_airfit-n10_fitting-template_amer_eng.pdf
Next, don't pull the straps too tight. Start off so that it just sits lightly on your face. Then use the Test Mask Fit option and tighten the straps slowly until you get the smiley face back. Stop the test and check that the straps are even on both sides. Now you can try the test again, or just go to sleep and hope for the best, depending on how tired you are.
I found that I had to pull my Standard cushion down as low on my upper lip as I could to avoid leaks at my dents, and I never got the wide cushion to work at all for me.
Best of luck to you - it really is a trial and error process.

RE: Third night- major mask leak - zonk - 10-31-2015

(10-31-2015, 10:07 AM)shadowfx78 Wrote: upon awakening this morning i recieved an email from MyAir saying i had a major mask leak and i had a sad smiley face on my machine.
I don't use 'my Air', what the machine sleep report shows leak number?
Smiley face means, mask fit 'good' and 70th percentile leak is less than 24 L/m for the night
All good as far as the machine able to deliver the therapy and the accuracy of the data
Higher leak rates can affect the accuracy of the data but has to be over longer period of time
The machine sleep report gives you a lot of information and as you're using both software, leak graph shows where is the leak occurring
Might be some mouth leaks, chinstrap can helps with that

Don't be too hard on yourself, early days yet, with more practice, things will get better