Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Pressure] self titration? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Pressure] self titration? (/Thread-Pressure-self-titration)

self titration? - shadowfx78 - 11-01-2015

Is in home self titration more effective than a second sleep lab study? If so i may talk to my doctor about not doing the study and just enabling my APAP and setting a range.

RE: self titration? - zonk - 11-01-2015

I don't say sleep lab titration more effective but can gives you something to fall back upon
If they say 10, you can set the machine something like 8-12 and see how things pan out

RE: self titration? - DeepBreathing - 11-01-2015

I've always doubted the value of the titration test. Consider this - at best it's a snapshot of one night, when we know that every night can be different. You'll be in a strange place, hooked up to wires and tubes etc, and sleeping according to their schedule - not your normal sleeping pattern.

When I was diagnosed I got an S9 Autoset set wide open on 4 - 20 for a week. After the week was up I had a consultation with the RT who narrowed the range based on the detailed data. As it turned out this didn't work for me as I have complex apnea and ended up with an ASV - but that's another story. The point is I could sleep in my own bed, at my own time. Data was gathered for a full week, adjustments made, then another week's data. I think this is a much better way of performing titration.

RE: self titration? - cate1898 - 11-01-2015

Welcome to the forum shadowfx78!! Great place to get answers. Good luck with your therapy!

RE: self titration? - shadowfx78 - 11-01-2015

the main reason im wondering this is cuz the number of events im having hasnt decreased its actually increased by a small percentage. Im going to switch to apap and go with a range of 6 to 18 and see how that works where the autoset puts the pressure to help with events.
thanks for the welcome cate1998

RE: self titration? - bwexler - 11-01-2015

I started with a split night study. But I don't remember ever paying any attention to the recommended setting. I originally had an S9 Autoset and Resscan software and with the help I received here quickly learned to manage my therapy.
I advocate you doing the same, in consultation with your doctor IF he knows more than you and has an interest in helping.

RE: self titration? - OpalRose - 11-01-2015

(11-01-2015, 05:59 AM)shadowfx78 Wrote: the main reason im wondering this is cuz the number of events im having hasnt decreased its actually increased by a small percentage. Im going to switch to apap and go with a range of 6 to 18 and see how that works where the autoset puts the pressure to help with events.

Have you been looking at your stats on sleepyhead? If so, what is your 90% pressure reading?

I agree with using APAP, but pressure changes should be made around your 90% number.

RE: self titration? - shadowfx78 - 11-01-2015

I havent been able to get the data off the sd card as i dont have a reader but that will be remedied in the next week or so.

RE: self titration? - justMongo - 11-02-2015

(11-01-2015, 02:59 AM)shadowfx78 Wrote: Is in home self titration more effective than a second sleep lab study? If so i may talk to my doctor about not doing the study and just enabling my APAP and setting a range.

Whether to doctor will go along depends upon the doctor. The doctor may say, "No way." Or, "Great idea." (Personally I do not care for doctors who take an it's my way or the highway approach.)

Insurance rules may also come into the equation.

RE: self titration? - Mosquitobait - 11-02-2015

(11-01-2015, 02:59 AM)shadowfx78 Wrote: Is in home self titration more effective than a second sleep lab study? If so i may talk to my doctor about not doing the study and just enabling my APAP and setting a range.

I don't think home self-titration is more effective, but I do think there is no reason for a lab titration unless you have a heart problem, lung problem, or severe apnea. Just set the auto-machine range and it responds accordingly. If you don't feel any better in a couple of months, then go for the lab titration to see what is going on. Given the fact that I had to wait 2 months AFTER being diagnosed to get the damned titration, I went out and bought a used machine so I could stop suffering. No matter what, most insurance will not pay for the higher end machines (like Bipap) unless you've done a trial with a cpap or xpap ANYWAY.

My opinion of course. I'm stuck with only lab studies since I have a low heart rate. But, at least they are willing to look at the Sleepyhead data first.