Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Head Cold and CPAP (or lack thereof) - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Head Cold and CPAP (or lack thereof) (/Thread-Head-Cold-and-CPAP-or-lack-thereof)

Pages: 1 2

Head Cold and CPAP (or lack thereof) - cate1898 - 11-08-2015

So came back from a week away with an added bonus. A lovely head cold, sinusy, stuffed nose, wracking cough - you get the picture.

So last night I spent the night getting a hour or two, waking up and trying to clear my nose so I could breath, and getting back for another hour or so. Repeat, repeat...
I was too stuffed up to even try wearing my CPAP P10's. If I had of had a FFM I might have tried although I've never tried on a FFM before.

So consequently I feel like doggy doo-doo today, but went to Wally World and got myself some nasal spray which I will limit to once or twice per night for a night or two as required. Not good for my high blood pressure, but then again, neither is not using my CPAP and getting a crappy broken sleep!

Anyone else have any great suggestions to help one during a head cold?

RE: Head Cold and CPAP (or lack thereof) - sonicboom - 11-08-2015

Take your favorite cold medicine that clears passages and relieves congestion. Check the ingredients carefully. Do not take one that increases heart rate as that will keep you awake and\or wake you up after a few hours.

RE: Head Cold and CPAP (or lack thereof) - cate1898 - 11-08-2015

Thanks sonic but all my 'favourite' cold meds are contraindicated for those of us with Hypertension! I have been using Coricidin HBP which lacks the great stuff most people can use that actually helps make a cold tolerable one. It is specifically for people with hypertension or High Blood Pressure which is what the HBP stands for.

RE: Head Cold and CPAP (or lack thereof) - sonicboom - 11-08-2015

Well that's a bummer. Here's what I found from mayo clinic:

Are over-the-counter cold remedies safe for people who have high blood pressure?

Answers from Sheldon G. Sheps, M.D.
Over-the-counter cold remedies aren't off-limits if you have high blood pressure, but it's important to make careful choices.

Among over-the-counter cold remedies, decongestants cause the most concern for people who have high blood pressure. Decongestants relieve nasal stuffiness by narrowing blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nose. This narrowing can affect other blood vessels as well, which can increase blood pressure.

To keep your blood pressure in check, avoid over-the-counter decongestants and multisymptom cold remedies that contain decongestants — such as pseudoephedrine, ephedrine, phenylephrine, naphazoline and oxymetazoline.

Instead:

Choose a cold medication designed for people who have high blood pressure. Some cold medications, such as Coricidin HBP, don't contain decongestants. However, these medications may contain other powerful drugs, such as dextromethorphan, that can be dangerous if you take too much. Follow the dosing instructions carefully.
Take a pain reliever. To relieve a fever, sore throat, headache or body aches, try aspirin or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others).
Use saline nasal spray. To relieve nasal congestion, try saline nasal spray. The spray can help flush your sinuses.
Soothe your throat. To relieve a sore or scratchy throat, gargle with warm salt water or drink warm water with lemon juice and honey.
Drink plenty of fluids. Water, juice, tea and soup can help clear your lungs of phlegm and mucus.
Increase the humidity in your home. Use a cool-mist humidifier or vaporizer to moisten the air and ease congestion and coughing.
Get plenty of rest. If you're not feeling well, take it easy.
Call your doctor if your signs and symptoms get worse instead of better or last more than 10 days.

RE: Head Cold and CPAP (or lack thereof) - CHanlon - 11-08-2015

Have you tried your mask, at all?

I use a nasal mask, not cushions, but in the 5 years or so that I've been on cpap, any time I've been congested, a couple of breaths through the machine and I clear right up...

RE: Head Cold and CPAP (or lack thereof) - DariaVader - 11-08-2015

some non-drug techniques for unplugging:
1. boil chamomile leaves and breath the steam. then drink the tea.
2. netipot (saline + xylitol solution) or nasal spray (saline + xylitol) --- just saline if you cant or wont do xylitol
3. a daub of vicks or eucalyptus on a cottonball near (at least a couple inches away) air filter on pap
4. the P10 itself is a pretty good unstuffer

RE: Head Cold and CPAP (or lack thereof) - cate1898 - 11-09-2015

Thanks all for the info/suggestions! I was feverish late yesterday and did not read these all in time to try them, but luckily for me the worst is over. Feel more myself today finally.

I did use CPAP and the P10's last night even though I was still stuffed up. Was a bit uncomfortable breathing as my stuffiness did not clear up as others have noted. However I was able to breathe enough to continue all night using it.

Sonic: I did take my Coricidin HBP and DID NOT take the Nasal Spray I bought as I do worry about my blood pressure more now not being local to home or my doctor (I'm in Florida right now). So Nasal Spray going back to the store unopened today.

Daria: I will try the chamomile (I'm guessing you buy chamomile leaves in a health food store?). I will also try the Saline+Xylitol nasal spray (not sure I could do a netipot).

Thanks all for the suggestions. Smile

RE: Head Cold and CPAP (or lack thereof) - DariaVader - 11-09-2015

(11-09-2015, 10:51 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Daria: I will try the chamomile (I'm guessing you buy chamomile leaves in a health food store?). I will also try the Saline+Xylitol nasal spray (not sure I could do a netipot).

I buy them in Mexican or Halal markets. WAYYYYY cheaper, and great quality. Sage too (Sage is awesome antiviral tea for sore throat!)

RE: Head Cold and CPAP (or lack thereof) - cate1898 - 11-09-2015

Thanks again Daria. Good to know. I will try and locate both when I am back home in a little over a week.

RE: Head Cold and CPAP (or lack thereof) - Mosquitobait - 11-29-2015

I recommend the following for congestion. Halls Menthol cough drops (must be brand name and the Eucalyptus ones). Remember Vicks from years ago? That helps too, although now with the CPAP, you use it during the day before going to bed rather than at night. Putting your head over a steaming pan of hot water with a towel over your head also helps; about as effective as a hot bath but with a lot less water.

It's annoying when you finally find the perfect OTC for your severe cold and then the following year, you can't take it because it's contraindicated for your condition or a med you MUST have. Anyway, the things above interfere with nothing, so unless you have an allergy to eucalyptus, I recommend these treatments.