Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
AHI versus Events Per Hour? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: AHI versus Events Per Hour? (/Thread-AHI-versus-Events-Per-Hour)

Pages: 1 2

AHI versus Events Per Hour? - bluemom51 - 11-08-2015

Using Airsense 10 - I had always assumed the "Events Per Hour" was the same as average AHI - What is Events Per Hour? Last night, the EPH were 2.5 and the AHI said 6.5.

RE: AHI versus Events Per Hour? - PoolQ - 11-08-2015

AHI is the EPH for all types of apneas(CA +OA) + hypopneas

RE: AHI versus Events Per Hour? - bluemom51 - 11-08-2015

(11-08-2015, 01:25 PM)PoolQ Wrote: AHI is the EPH for all types of apneas(CA +OA) + hypopneas

what exactly is the EPH - only Obstructive or ?

RE: AHI versus Events Per Hour? - PoolQ - 11-08-2015

okay I give up where are you seeing EPH. I have scanned the manual, done a search on the web, and liked at sleepyhead-none of these places knows anything about EPH that I can find.

RE: AHI versus Events Per Hour? - justMongo - 11-08-2015

Well, I found it; but cannot find a definition. I did find that it Events per Hour of Use.
I would just be guessing as to why AHI > EPH.

It is a darn good question and deserves to be reconciled.

Bump!

RE: AHI versus Events Per Hour? - OpalRose - 11-08-2015

bluemom51,

Found this description. Does this make any sense?

AHI = AI + HI = number of events per hour (obstructive + central + unknown + hypopnea)

Total AI = number of events per hour (obstructive + central + unknown)

AHI - AI = Hypopnea Index = number of hypopnea per hours

RE: AHI versus Events Per Hour? - zonk - 11-08-2015

(11-08-2015, 01:17 PM)bluemom51 Wrote: Using Airsense 10 - I had always assumed the "Events Per Hour" was the same as average AHI - What is Events Per Hour? Last night, the EPH were 2.5 and the AHI said 6.5.
Events per hour is AHI for last night (1 day)
You'll need to set 'period' to 1 day (default 1 month) from the sleep report menu for the two of them to match-up ... easy-peasy

(11-08-2015, 03:14 PM)PoolQ Wrote: okay I give up where are you seeing EPH. I have scanned the manual, done a search on the web, and liked at sleepyhead-none of these places knows anything about EPH that I can find.

just know that when i wake up - it is at the top of the "report" screen on the air sense 10 - then when you scroll down it shows the AHI, etc numbers - but at the top it shows EPH and smiley faces although i don't know what the heck they are smiling about - i don't think AHIs of 6.5-17 are wonderful and i feel awful - maybe they are just trying to cheer me up. but i don't see how you can have none of the AHIs and other numbers be under 4 and "events per hour" be 2. maybe it was recording when the cat jumped up on the bed.....? Smile
(11-08-2015, 03:45 PM)zonk Wrote:
(11-08-2015, 01:17 PM)bluemom51 Wrote: Using Airsense 10 - I had always assumed the "Events Per Hour" was the same as average AHI - What is Events Per Hour? Last night, the EPH were 2.5 and the AHI said 6.5.
Events per hour is AHI for last night (1 day)
You'll need to set 'period' to 1 day (default 1 month) from the sleep report menu for the two of them to match-up ... easy-peasy
don't see how events per house is AHI for last night - my AHI for last night was 8, not 2 - maybe some sort of average?......but i will set the period to 1 day to see what happens

RE: AHI versus Events Per Hour? - justMongo - 11-08-2015

I think zonk has hit it. He's one of the board's best!
Give it a try.

(11-08-2015, 04:38 PM)justMongo Wrote: I think zonk has hit it. He's one of the board's best!
Give it a try.

yep - changed the time period to daily and EPH aligned with AHI and wonder of wonders, i achieved a AHI of 2.3 last night - it's a miracle - i had upped my lower pressure per someone's advice and i hesitantly took 1/2 the trazadone pill my doc had given me to try and..........(sound the chimes and bells).......my lowest AHI ever. i guess setting the pressure to a tighter range and raising the bottom pressure along with something to calm my intense tossing and turning really worked. i am (per the British) gobsmacked!!

so in summary, the events per hour is just showing you the AHI at the top of the little screen so you don't have to turn the dial down, and yes, as it turns out, i did deserve the smiley faces. yeah!!!