Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Stay with Machine? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Stay with Machine? (/Thread-Stay-with-Machine)

Pages: 1 2

Stay with Machine? - Charles1970 - 11-09-2015

Hey folks,

My sleep study showed that I have mild apnea:

AHI - 6.2
Oxygen destaturation - 92
No cardiac irregularities
Average duration 22.8 seconds.

Since using the bipap, my ahi has gone down to 4.5; however, there's been no change in my energy level, and I'm typically down with a mild sore throat, upper respiratory infection, and achy lungs - bad achy: Good achy is what my lung feels like after a strong 30 minutes of lap swimming. This is bad unhealthy clutching at chest achey.

Anyhow, I can't imagine what I will experience during flu season.

The only feedback I've gotten: play with the humidity (check) or get used to it. If you don't use it, you may die - even if you have very mild apnea.

Anyhow, I plan on returning this machine, as I see few advantages to using this aside from the fact that I might die if i stop using it.

Anyone have any better feedback - am i overlooking something?

Thanks,
Chuck

RE: Stay with Machine? - Charles1970 - 11-10-2015

Some extra info -
I've only used it for 2 months - full face mask that doesn't leak.
It's a respironics Bipap auto SV advanced.
I haven't tried to check my own data - I just learned about sleepyhead on this site - my sleep doctor had discouraged my checking it.

RE: Stay with Machine? - justMongo - 11-10-2015

An ASV machine is used to treat Central and mixed sleep apnea.
The ASV is a non-invasive ventilator. It uses a pressure spike to inflate the lungs if you fail to breathe on your own.
That pressure spike may cause some discomfort as it stretches the intracostal muscles.

There has to be a reason for you to have been prescribed an ASV.

Before you give up, you really need to talk this over with your doctor.

RE: Stay with Machine? - DeepBreathing - 11-10-2015

G'day Charles, welcome to Apnea Board.

The fact that you have an ASV machine suggests there is something more than simple obstructive apnea happening. These machines are expensive and normally prescribed for central apnea. Do you have any other conditions along with your mild apnea? Did the central apneas show up in your sleep test? If you could give us those details as well as the pressure regime, that would help us make some constructive suggestions.

In the meantime, I have a constructive suggestion about your doctor who doesn't want you to know the basic facts about your condition and treatment. Imagine you had diabetes - what would you do if your doctor discouraged you from checking your blood sugar? My constructive suggestion is to educate your doctor or dump him/ her.

RE: Stay with Machine? - esrepairman - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 01:03 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day Charles, welcome to Apnea Board.

The fact that you have an ASV machine suggests there is something more than simple obstructive apnea happening. These machines are expensive and normally prescribed for central apnea. Do you have any other conditions along with your mild apnea? Did the central apneas show up in your sleep test? If you could give us those details as well as the pressure regime, that would help us make some constructive suggestions.

In the meantime, I have a constructive suggestion about your doctor who doesn't want you to know the basic facts about your condition and treatment. Imagine you had diabetes - what would you do if your doctor discouraged you from checking your blood sugar? My constructive suggestion is to educate your doctor or dump him/ her.
I agree! Many doctors don't want you to look at your data, because then you will ask more questions. Be educated about your data. If you doctor will not discuss your questions/concerns, then switch doctors.

RE: Stay with Machine? - OpalRose - 11-10-2015

Hi Charles 1970,
Welcome to Apnea Board!
Well, there's not much I can add, as I agree with all above.

Talk to your doctor with your concerns, get a copy of your sleep study and your perscription.

If you feel your doctor can't help you, then find out what pressures your machine is set at and update your profile. People here that use that type of machine may be able to help you if they had more information.

Download Sleepyhead, and start using it.

If the fact that you could die isn't enough motivation of taking controll of the situation, then Dont-know

RE: Stay with Machine? - cate1898 - 11-10-2015

Welcome to ApneaBoard Charles1970! Good luck with your therapy and please do get more information and answers from your doctor!

RE: Stay with Machine? - Tacoma Droner - 11-10-2015

Chuck--I have the same machine as you. 4.5 ain't that hot especially if you started with a sleep test result of 6.2. It should not take much for that machine to get you down under 1, especially if you're happy with the mask. I'm assuming you tried nasal masks, and nasal pillows, and couldn't get them to work which is how you ended up with full face? Anyway, I'd start using Sleepyhead if I were you and then post up here more info so we can see what's going on. I gotta tell you that it's real easy for somebody to program that machine wrong. Even though it's a self-titrating bipap machine, you can program it to be essentially a CPAP with very little range. Once you get it programmed right, though, you might be surprised at how much better you start to feel.

RE: Stay with Machine? - trish6hundred - 11-10-2015

Hi Charles1970,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I encourage you to stick with CPAP therapy and if your doc isn't willing to help you and answer your questions, try to find a new one who will.
I know it can take a while to get used to CPAP therapy, but don't give up.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you.

RE: Stay with Machine? - Charles1970 - 11-10-2015

Yes, central apneas did show up in my study. And since I'm still a bit fatigued during the day (not excessively) my doctor wants to check for narcolepsy next.

I do hope to use sleepyhead later this week. Is it true that I can program the machine myself using it (as well as access its sleep data?)

Right now I see this in the data window:

Max pres 20,
epap min 4
epap max 15
ps min 3
ps max 15
bpm auto

Under 90% epap: 5.0
Avg ps - 4.5

Not sure what it means - thanks!
c