Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Auto titration with nasal pillows. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Auto titration with nasal pillows. (/Thread-Auto-titration-with-nasal-pillows)

Auto titration with nasal pillows. - vivaldi - 11-10-2015

I've read somewhere that nasal pillows often aren't recommended for people with Auto titrating machines. I haven't found anything in my Swift documentation that says anything about it. Has anybody experienced difficulties with nasal pillows as APAP? Do you know what causes the issues?

RE: Auto titration with nasal pillows. - esrepairman - 11-10-2015

For most people if your pressure stays below 10 or so, you should be fine with a nasal pillow system (NPS). Many people are unable to tolerate the pressure through a NPS once the pressure gets up into the teens. A NPS can work with an AUTO machine, we provide them all the time.

RE: Auto titration with nasal pillows. - dwd1249 - 11-10-2015

I did a lab test with nasal pillows . Pressure went to over 14 and there were no problems.

RE: Auto titration with nasal pillows. - DariaVader - 11-10-2015

my pressure runs in the teens for half of the night with a max between 13 and 14. I use an airfit P10 and do not have issues with leaking.

RE: Auto titration with nasal pillows. - Sleeprider - 11-10-2015

Lots of misinformation in this thread so far. BS. Nasal pillows work for many people, even at pressures above 20 cm H2O. My max pressure of 19 isn't seen often, but my P10 mask does not seem to have a problem with pressure consistently over 15.

The consensus among users is that nasal pillows apply PAP (positive air pressure) more effectively than any other mask, often allowing lower pressure to achieve efficacy. They are minimal contact and comfortable for those of us that can avoid leaks through the mouth. I'm not aware of ANY study or anecdotal information that would support the hypothesis proposed by this thread title. The mask interface is not determined by whether the machine is fixed or auto, but by other factors of fit and tolerance.

RE: Auto titration with nasal pillows. - Tacoma Droner - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 07:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Lots of misinformation in this thread so far. BS. Nasal pillows work for many people, even at pressures above 20 cm H2O. My max pressure of 19 isn't seen often, but my P10 mask does not seem to have a problem with pressure consistently over 15.

The consensus among users is that nasal pillows apply PAP (positive air pressure) more effectively than any other mask, often allowing lower pressure to achieve efficacy. They are minimal contact and comfortable for those of us that can avoid leaks through the mouth. I'm not aware of ANY study or anecdotal information that would support the hypothesis proposed by this thread title. The mask interface is not determined by whether the machine is fixed or auto, but by other factors of fit and tolerance.
Thumbs-up-2

My bipap auto machine will occasionaly hit 19 using nasal pillows. No big deal. Works fine. 11 years now.

RE: Auto titration with nasal pillows. - vivaldi - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 07:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Lots of misinformation in this thread so far....I'm not aware of ANY study or anecdotal information that would support the hypothesis proposed by this thread title.

Well the thread title makes no statement at all.

The hypothesis I was curious about was a question. I hadn't found any evidence to support it either and my own experience contradicts the hypothesis also. That's why I asked the question. I was curious why someone would suggest such a thing.

I read it on a website from a company that sells all kinds of machines and all kinds of masks. They just put it out there like it was a fairly common issue with the pillows.