Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Contact allergy to mask silicon? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Contact allergy to mask silicon? (/Thread-Contact-allergy-to-mask-silicon)

Contact allergy to mask silicon? - armando.ntg - 11-11-2015

Now that I got great numbers with no major leaks, I began to introduce a kind of allergy on the face, in areas touched by the silicone mask, in the form of red spots that itch, and staying all day.
I've tried using Podacheek liner, but in my case, has increased in very large leaks, and had to leave.
Has anyone experienced this problem and can tell me how to solve it?
Thank you.

RE: Contact allergy to mask silicon? - AlanE - 11-11-2015

Do you have a DME or respiratory therapist? Talk to them about any alternatives.

There are cloth liners like Quietus Liners.

SilentNight is another liner that is made from a Micro Pillow Fabric. According to their site it is anti-bacterial.

The SleepWeaver Anew is a full-face cloth type of mask. It is made by Circadiance. They also make a nasal mask version called the SleepWeaver Elan.

From their site:

"The cloth is the same material used to make winter ski clothing. A portion of the mask that contacts the skin contains polyester, nylon, and elastane. The cloth material is “breathable” meaning that the material wicks moisture and heat away from the user’s skin. You should have no concerns about skin allergies or irritation with this mask. The headgear consists of polyurethane foam, nylon, and lycra. It does NOT contain Mercapto-benzothiazole or Mercapto MX. The plastic swivel is made of polycarbonate. Please be aware that there are trace quantities of BPA in all polycarbonate products. The Feather Weight Tube is made of hytrel and EVA."

You can also try using mask wipes and clean the silicone really well to remove any residual material from manufacturing.

Good luck.

RE: Contact allergy to mask silicon? - PaytonA - 11-11-2015

Do you wash the silicone frequently? Do you rinse it well?

RE: Contact allergy to mask silicon? - archangle - 11-11-2015

Conventional wisdom is that allergy to silicone is exceptionally rare. However, you might be allergic to something on the mask or even somehow soaked into the silicone.

Try washing the relevant plastic parts really well in very hot water.

Also be careful about what cleaning products you use. Many kinds of soap have fragrances and other stuff like moisturizers that may cause a reaction. I wash my mask parts in the dishwasher with regular detergent. (no dishes at the same time.) Be sure to rinse well.

Also consider what cleaners and skin care products you use. Because the mask holds moisture trapped on the surface of the skin and doesn't breathe, it might magnify the effects of anything on your skin or the silicone. Try cleaning that part of your face thoroughly before bedtime. Maybe even wipe with alcohol before bed.

Most insurance will pay for new cushions one a month or more often. Once you get a few spare mask cushions, you might experiment with very severe cleaning of one cushion you can afford to lose. If the cushion is 100% silicone, you can try putting it into some boiling water mixed with baking soda, but if the part is a mix of silicone and other plastic, the other part may melt.

RE: Contact allergy to mask silicon? - armando.ntg - 11-11-2015

I already use silicone mask for 6 years now (Respironics Comfort Gel and ConfortFull2) without ever having had any sign of allergy.
I started using the ResMed Airfit F10 at less than a month and was surprised by what seemed to be a kind of allergy to silicone.
I washl the mask with mild soap and water at room temperature rigorously every morning, and my face with the same soap, every night at bedtime.
Tonight I'll use Padacheek liner to avoid direct contact of the mask with the skin of my face, and I will replace the soap used in washing.
Thank you.

RE: Contact allergy to mask silicon? - AlanE - 11-12-2015

Try baby shampoo on the mask. I think others have used Dawn.

RE: Contact allergy to mask silicon? - armando.ntg - 11-12-2015

Thank you all.
From today I will try to wash the mask using Johnsons´ baby shampoo.