Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Hello from New Member [retired physician] - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Hello from New Member [retired physician] (/Thread-Hello-from-New-Member-retired-physician)

Pages: 1 2

Hello from New Member [retired physician] - Stiffdoc - 11-11-2015

Hello:  I am brand new to this forum, and just wanted to say "Hi."  I am 61, a recently retired physician, and was diagnosed with OSA in 1986 (I was skinny then; just had bad anatomy).  I tried the old CPAP with the inline pressure valves, which failed miserably. I had the old UPPP done; 3 nights in the ICU, a month to recover, but I went 19 years until weight gain and age caused sleep deprivation to reoccur. I have used CPAP for 10 years now. It saved my life and sanity, and I haven't missed a night in 10 years. I recently upgraded to an auto adjust, as my old clunker was beginning to have issues, and I am very happy with the new machine. Should have upgraded sooner, as the tech has advanced dramatically for CPAP users. I am glad that the type of UPPP I underwent is not done now; although I do NOT regret having the surgery (no real alternatives for me in 1986), I have had some post surgical complications over the years that are tough to manage. I'd be happy to elaborate another time; perhaps others have experienced the same. I became very familiar with the medical literature on UPPP complications, looking for solutions. Anyway, hello to everybody, and I look forward to learning and contributing. --Kris (stiffdoc)

RE: Long term effects of CPAP therapy - OpalRose - 11-11-2015

Stiffdoc,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

RE: Long term effects of CPAP therapy - DariaVader - 11-11-2015

Welcome

welcome, stiffdoc! you should start a thread... you will be buried in here Smile

RE: Long term effects of CPAP therapy - Stiffdoc - 11-11-2015

Actually, I have never participated in a message board/forum like this, and thus have never started my own thread on anything. I will figure it out; the problem of post-surgical complications from OSA surgery is both interesting and personal, and I was extremely fortunate that I am a physician, as I had very unsatisfactory results from physicians who basically admitted that they did not know what to do for my particular problem. So, I had to figure out my own solution, and being a doctor, I could convince other physicians concerning what I needed, and the help I required from them. It would have been very difficult for a non-physician to make this work.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kris

Moderator Note: I moved this discussion to this new thread.

RE: Long term effects of CPAP therapy - DariaVader - 11-11-2015

well, then double welcome. to apnea board and to forumland also Big Grin

RE: Long term effects of CPAP therapy - archangle - 11-11-2015

(11-11-2015, 07:42 PM)Stiffdoc Wrote: I had very unsatisfactory results from physicians who basically admitted that they did not know what to do for my particular problem.

Consider yourself lucky. They usually don't admit it.

RE: [split]Hello from New Member - otrpu - 11-11-2015

Hi Stiffdoc,
Welcome to the forum.
I think you'ed be interested in using SleepyHead, (SH), software. Look here: http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Cheers,
otrpu

RE: [split]Hello from New Member - Sleepster - 11-11-2015

Thanks, otrpu, for reposting that info here. I accidentally left your original post behind in the old thread when I did the split, and was just now sending you a PM about it. I'll delete the original.

RE: [split]Hello from New Member - DumfriesDik - 11-12-2015

From a new member here as well, welcome!

RE: [split]Hello from New Member - cate1898 - 11-12-2015

Welcome to ApneaBoard Stiffdoc! Glad you found us!

It is good to have another medical doctor here with personal OSA experience who can weigh in on discussions! And just my 2cents, I very much respect a doctor who can admit they do not know something rather than try something on a pt without admitting their lack of knowledge!

Welcome!