Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Newbie with questions - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Newbie with questions (/Thread-Newbie-with-questions)

Pages: 1 2

Newbie with questions - Hollyboop - 11-16-2015

Hi Everyone:
I have had my machine (ResMed S9 w/ H5i humidifier w/ Full Face Mask size Small) for almost 1 month. The greatest difficulty I am having is that the while I am sleeping, the mask leaks air on one or both sides and the noise wakes me up. I have tried adjusting the straps and I think the seal is as tight as I can stand it without getting a headache. Do you have any tips for me to stop this from happening? My DME says this is the only mask they have that will work for me. Someone suggested that I try a different mask from another company because the tubes have a universal size. Is this true? Does anyone have any full face masks they can suggest? My dentist says I have a very small mouth (my husband would beg to differ LOL) and a small face. Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted! Thanks in advance.

RE: Newbie with questions - justMongo - 11-16-2015

Welcome
Yes, all the masks fit a 22mm hose.
Many full face masks come in 3 sizes. S, M, L.
I use one; and I know what you mean about leaks waking one up.
I like the Mirage Quattro because it has a forehead brace and an adjustable contact at the top of the nose.

Most people have to try several masks to get one that works for them.
What works for one person may not for another.

Kindest Regards,

Mongo

RE: Newbie with questions - cate1898 - 11-16-2015

Welcome to ApneaBoard Hollyboop!

There are tons of options of different FF masks. Some appear to be less invasive as the one you have. For example, the Amara View FFM, The Mirage Liberty with Nasal pillows, the Quattro FX For Her which come in small or medium, the AirFit F10 For Her coming in extra small, small or medium. Sounds like you might be better in a FFM that has a 'For Her' option as they are usually made a bit smaller and straps being smaller too.

RE: Newbie with questions - trish6hundred - 11-16-2015

Hi Hollyboop,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
One thing you could try is, a mask liner. There is one I am having good success with and it’s called Padacheek mask liner. Just put that into a search engine and you’ll find them. Or, you could check out some of the suppliers on the suppliers list, here on the board at the top of each page and you’ll see them there as well.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: Newbie with questions - Sleepster - 11-16-2015

(11-16-2015, 06:59 PM)Hollyboop Wrote: My DME says this is the only mask they have that will work for me.

Make some calls. Call your doctor's office and report that the mask you have isn't working and the DME has no options available. Make the same call to your insurance company and make the same report. Ask them both the same question. Is there another DME that I can go to?

The DME is required by your insurance company to replace a new mask that doesn't fit. They don't want to do it because it costs them money, but that is the contract they entered into when they agreed to make a profit by selling you the CPAP machine.

I would also ask for a different CPAP machine.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Archangle:Machine_Choices

RE: Newbie with questions - Tez62 - 11-17-2015

Hollyboop, try the mask liners as Trish suggested, you can buy them or do as I do and make your own, I can send you the instructions if you want. Also I alsways have the hose coming from above my head either over a head board or you can buy a product called a hose lift or your husband could make one. By having the hose come from above your head, it pulls the mask up not down and saves you getting tangled. I'm not sure if you have mentioned the brand and model mask you are using? You may want to put it in the Mask Type in your profile on here Smile

RE: Newbie with questions - DumfriesDik - 11-17-2015

(11-16-2015, 07:13 PM)justMongo Wrote: Most people have to try several masks to get one that works for them.
What works for one person may not for another.

This is so true. I could not get on with a full face mask, it kept leaking. But I am happy with my nasal mask, it seems to be okay.

I wonder if you could try other masks as well?

RE: Newbie with questions - 49er - 11-17-2015

Hollyboop,

I am curious, can you breathe through your nose during the day? Because if you can, you might want to try a nasal or nasal pillow mask. And even if you struggle, I have heard of situations where people found that using a nasal/nasal pillow mask greatly helped their sinuses.

RE: Newbie with questions - Stiffdoc - 11-17-2015

I can attest to the excellence of mask liners. I use a Resmed comfort fit gel nasal mask, and I used to have the annoying leaks pretty much every night, so loud they woke my wife. When I tried the liner, the problem stopped.

Finding the right mask for you is the key, though. Be persistent, and you will find the best fit.

RE: Newbie with questions - Hollyboop - 11-17-2015

Did you get the liner with the Nasal Mask? If not, where did you purchase it? Do you use a chin guard? Thank you!