Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Respironics Dream Station in Canada - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Respironics Dream Station in Canada (/Thread-Respironics-Dream-Station-in-Canada)

Pages: 1 2

Respironics Dream Station in Canada - GPSMapNut - 11-17-2015

Any news from Canadian suppliers about the availability of Dream Station?

My 11 years old Respironics CPAP started to act up. I'm currently on a $150 / moth loaner from ProResp awaiting sleep study to see if I qualify for an APAP. I'm unsure yet how much of the loaner cost will be covered by my insurance so, I'm trying to fast track it. If lucky, I may have the new prescription in December. If not, January. CPAP or APAP, I'm pretty much decided, I want another Respironics. Because of the loaner, I don't want to delay the purchase yet, I don't want to miss newer technology by few days or weeks...
I called Philips and was told that the Dream is scheduled for Canadian release in December... Still, wondering if any of the suppliers know and say anything more.

Andrew

RE: Respironics Dream Station in Canada - zonk - 11-17-2015

$150 a month seem a lot, you could buy a new APAP machine for about 4 months rentals from Supplier #2
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Supplier-List

Welcome

RE: Respironics Dream Station in Canada - GPSMapNut - 11-17-2015

(11-17-2015, 03:00 PM)zonk Wrote: $150 a month seem a lot, you could buy a new APAP machine for about 4 months rentals from Supplier #2

Welcome

600 for the machine + 170 for the humidifier and that's in US$ + shipping to Canada and possible duty and no chance of having any of that covered by my insurance? Thanks but, no thanks.
Also the $150 rental goes towards the price of the new machine if I buy it from them so, it's not the end of the world. Worst case scenario, I may be out the difference between the deductible and the cost of renting but, if I get everything wrapped up in 2 - 3 months, I should be OK considering that I will want the machine with a heated hose and the original DC cable.

RE: Respironics Dream Station in Canada - zonk - 11-17-2015

(11-17-2015, 04:07 PM)GPSMapNut Wrote: Thanks but, no thanks.
That is okay, just trying to be helpful, sometimes it works and sometimes don't
I have no idea about Canadian CPAP prices but here are quite pricey. I got two machines from overseas, even with the currency conversion, still work out less than local prices. Warranty can be an issue but touch wood, never had a problem where machine have to be shipped back

RE: Respironics Dream Station in Canada - cate1898 - 11-17-2015

Is it because you already have a CPAP machine that the DME is making you RENT a machine? I have had a loaner from my DME since Sept 11/15 and it is not costing me anything. I don't even have to buy from them, although I am sure it is expected... But I was only just diagnosed back a few months ago.

RE: Respironics Dream Station in Canada - ramblingasian - 11-17-2015

I don't know why the DME is charging you $150 a month for a loaner. There are plenty of DME's in the GTA that will rent you a machine for $150 total, which they will then credit you if you purchase the machine from them after the fact.

RE: Respironics Dream Station in Canada - trish6hundred - 11-17-2015

Hi GPSMapNut,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.

I also don't know why they charge me such price. I haven't had time to do any research before going for that - when my old machine started to act up, I just went to RespPro where I originally bought it and got all my supplies (mask, hoses, filters) for the last 11 years. I couldn't get a replacement unit right away because my MD retired kind of unexpectedly so, nobody could write a prescription for the replacement. Initially it was going to be simple - a visit to new MD, prescription and replacement machine, all well within the month so, it was a non issue to me. New MD had to see me and I had to become "his patient" before he could write the prescription. Non issue... Well, it would be a non issue but waiting for the appointment, I started to research new machines - somebody told me that there is no more machines working of simple 12VDC and I just could not believe it. Than, I came across this board and started to read and learn in a hurry. Thanks to EVERYBODY who contributed their knowledge to this great site and resource; In a week I learned more about sleep apnea and the equipment than I did in the past 11 years living with it!
When I went for my visit, I was able to discuss the options and a possibility of getting an APAP. The doc thinks it would be beneficial but, unless I want to pay for the whole thing out of my pocket, he can not write a prescription for one unless a specific sleep study indicates that I need (not want but need) one and that needs more time.
Anyhow, tomorrow I'm going to RespPro to get a new mask (P10?) and I will discuss that "monthly fee". If they be too hard nosed about it, I may take my business somewhere else - one of the reasons I was asking about any Canadian DMEs with specific knowledge about the Dream system.

(11-17-2015, 04:40 PM)zonk Wrote:
(11-17-2015, 04:07 PM)GPSMapNut Wrote: Thanks but, no thanks.
That is okay, just trying to be helpful, sometimes it works and sometimes don't
>>snip>>>

Thanks. I knew that and I already know that you are one of the very helpful ones around here. I can only hope that I wasn't sounding off offensive. I certainly have not intended to.

RE: Respironics Dream Station in Canada - ramblingasian - 11-17-2015

(11-17-2015, 07:06 PM)GPSMapNut Wrote: I also don't know why they charge me such price. I haven't had time to do any research before going for that - when my old machine started to act up, I just went to RespPro where I originally bought it and got all my supplies (mask, hoses, filters) for the last 11 years. I couldn't get a replacement unit right away because my MD retired kind of unexpectedly so, nobody could write a prescription for the replacement. Initially it was going to be simple - a visit to new MD, prescription and replacement machine, all well within the month so, it was a non issue to me. New MD had to see me and I had to become "his patient" before he could write the prescription. Non issue... Well, it would be a non issue but waiting for the appointment, I started to research new machines - somebody told me that there is no more machines working of simple 12VDC and I just could not believe it. Than, I came across this board and started to read and learn in a hurry. Thanks to EVERYBODY who contributed their knowledge to this great site and resource; In a week I learned more about sleep apnea and the equipment than I did in the past 11 years living with it!
When I went for my visit, I was able to discuss the options and a possibility of getting an APAP. The doc thinks it would be beneficial but, unless I want to pay for the whole thing out of my pocket, he can not write a prescription for one unless a specific sleep study indicates that I need (not want but need) one and that needs more time.
Anyhow, tomorrow I'm going to RespPro to get a new mask (P10?) and I will discuss that "monthly fee". If they be too hard nosed about it, I may take my business somewhere else - one of the reasons I was asking about any Canadian DMEs with specific knowledge about the Dream system.

No DME in Canada to the best of my knowledge has the Dreamstation yet. I picked up my new Aircurve 10 VAuto machine just over a week ago and the folks said that it will be a while before it comes in.

Have you read up on the ADP rules? If you haven't read up on them. Knowing what qualifies and what doesn't will definitely help you out.