Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Switched from APAP to CPAP - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Switched from APAP to CPAP (/Thread-Switched-from-APAP-to-CPAP)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Switched from APAP to CPAP - linn - 11-18-2015

I've been switched from an APAP to a CPAP.

The APAP was MUCH more comfortable for me - is this common?

Is an APAP a lot more expensive?

RE: Switched from APAP to CPAP - cate1898 - 11-18-2015

It's not a question of money. Doctors cannot prescribe an Auto CPAP without the patient's sleep lab results exhibiting certain criteria.

This is cut and pasted from an Ontario ADP document:

335.01 Auto-Titrating Positive Airway Pressure Systems (APAP)
Individuals requiring APAP systems must meet the Medical Eligibility Criteria
for a positive airway pressures system (see 335) and the Medical Eligibility
Criteria outlined below.
The individual must have polysomnographically documented OSAS where
there is a change in pressure of a minimum of 4 cmH2O on a prescribed fixed
CPAP level of 10 cmH2O or more; and the change must occur between REM
vs. NREM sleep or supine vs. sleeping on their side.

RE: Switched from APAP to CPAP - linn - 11-18-2015

(11-18-2015, 04:36 PM)cate1898 Wrote: It's not a question of money. Doctors cannot prescribe an Auto CPAP without the patient's sleep lab results exhibiting certain criteria.

This is cut and pasted from an Ontario ADP document:

335.01 Auto-Titrating Positive Airway Pressure Systems (APAP)
Individuals requiring APAP systems must meet the Medical Eligibility Criteria
for a positive airway pressures system (see 335) and the Medical Eligibility
Criteria outlined below.
The individual must have polysomnographically documented OSAS where
there is a change in pressure of a minimum of 4 cmH2O on a prescribed fixed
CPAP level of 10 cmH2O or more; and the change must occur between REM
vs. NREM sleep or supine vs. sleeping on their side.

What if I were to pay for the whole thing myself? I understand that ADP won't cover it.

RE: Switched from APAP to CPAP - zonk - 11-18-2015

(11-18-2015, 04:45 PM)linn Wrote: What if I were to pay for the whole thing myself? I understand that ADP won't cover it.
I cannot see a problem there but you'll need a script

In Australia, APAP much more expensive than fixed CPAP but in US, only few dollars is the price difference
As for "The APAP was MUCH more comfortable for me - is this common?"
I can vouch for that, I've being using AutoSet on Auto since started treatment 5 years ago and never looked back Smile

RE: Switched from APAP to CPAP - DariaVader - 11-18-2015

what pressure did they stick you with? I think that when apnea is obliterated at lower pressure, apap is *much* less likely to make a big difference... I personally cant imagine straight cpap for myself... but i would certainly meet the criteria Canada uses

(11-18-2015, 04:59 PM)zonk Wrote:
(11-18-2015, 04:45 PM)linn Wrote: What if I were to pay for the whole thing myself? I understand that ADP won't cover it.
I cannot see a problem there but you'll need a script

In Australia, APAP much more expensive than fixed CPAP but in US, only few dollars is the price difference
As for "The APAP was MUCH more comfortable for me - is this common?"
I can vouch for that, I've being using AutoSet on Auto since started treatment 5 years ago and never looked back Smile

Thanks

(11-18-2015, 05:09 PM)DariaVader Wrote: what pressure did they stick you with? I think that when apnea is obliterated at lower pressure, apap is *much* less likely to make a big difference... I personally cant imagine straight cpap for myself... but i would certainly meet the criteria Canada uses

7.6 pressure with a ramp at the beginning. I feel like I'm racing to get to sleep before the pressure goes up Oh-jeez

They have me using the same machine, but they turned off the auto features. They set it up for me and I'm not allowed to change it yet.

I found the automatic settings much more comfortable.

I hope you can get them to see sense. You Canadian apnea patients all need to band together and start a petition or something - raise some awareness on how much more cost effective the APAP is.

Your pressure is lowish - so they probably expect you will get used to it soonish. I don't feel like I am getting sufficient air if I am below 7, and prefer to begin at 8, but at first 6 felt like a windstorm!!!

(11-18-2015, 05:42 PM)DariaVader Wrote: I hope you can get them to see sense. You Canadian apnea patients all need to band together and start a petition or something - raise some awareness on how much more cost effective the APAP is.

Your pressure is lowish - so they probably expect you will get used to it soonish. I don't feel like I am getting sufficient air if I am below 7, and prefer to begin at 8, but at first 6 felt like a windstorm!!!

My pressure may change - I'm still in the trial period. My pressure may be low, but it sure helps me to sleep much better. I'm not on the verge of passing out anymore.

If I can't get an APAP, I will try my best to adapt to CPAP. It's only been a week and I can't sleep without it now! I'm so grateful for this technology.

Now, if I could only get a big spike in energy and clean my whole apartment Oh-jeez

if you do, pass it on... Big Grin